What's new

styptic pencils

I don't recall reading how to use one. I don't know if newbies need a little heads-up, so what I do is wet the end of it and rub it sort of vigorously over the wound. Then go over it with some tissue to wipe up the white stuff that gets left behind. Works for me. Previously I'd not use the tissue and left behind an embarrassing patch of white dust :)

I don't know if using a styptic is bad form; I know one poster mentioning he doesn't even own one. That wouldn't work for me. I'm not that good yet.

Styptics are handy to have, but I'm not sure that they're necessary. I keep one in the medicine cabinet. I rarely use one, but I've been known to rub my entire face with the side of a styptic stick just to tighten and sooth my skin. I certainly wouldn't consider them "bad form" in any way.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don’t wet it. I think it works better that way. I just dab it over the weeper and that’s about it.

This thing is super effective. No need to wet it, it’s already liquid. Available at Amazon and Target.

Water (Aqua), Alcohol Denat., Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water, Aluminum Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Phenoxyethanol

IMG_7785.jpeg

This thing is super effective. No need to wet it, it’s already liquid. Available at Amazon and Target.

Water (Aqua), Alcohol Denat., Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water, Aluminum Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Phenoxyethanol

View attachment 1740452
I dunno about this newfangled stuff. I must be a Luddite because a styptic pencil seems more traditional to me. Now that I think of it, I might have seen this on the shelf at my grocery store.

We now have shaving cream supplanting pucks of soap. Soon we'll have electric razors for all I know. Maybe even atomic ones.

But I may have to try a Nick Stick.

I've been using Clubman styptic pencils since the 1960s .... Just touch it to the nick and bleeding stops. Rinse off the tip, pat dry with TP and slip it back into the pencil holder . Cheap, effective , and the large size pencil will last a few years ....
Screenshot 2023-10-30 102327.jpg

I've been using Clubman styptic pencils since the 1960s .... Just touch it to the nick and bleeding stops. Rinse off the tip, pat dry with TP and slip it back into the pencil holder . Cheap, effective , and the large size pencil will last a few years ....View attachment 1740867

Looks similar to one I have had in draw for years, use to use it also on Dog if I clipped Toe Nail too close.

I use an alum block. Lasts a long time. I use it similar to a stick. Far less messy than a stick and every bit as effective. I found mine on Amazon but they are readily available. There are some that use it on their whole face after every shave, but i found no benefit for me doing that.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I only use a styptic if/when I happen to nick a raised mole I have in an awkward spot, typically a once a month type thing in my case.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
styptic pencil > septic pencil

...and applying aftershave clears up any white residue left behind from application.
'Slpain that mathematical equation to me like I'm 10 years old, good sir. I'd have thought an equal sign would have been appropriate but I ain't great at the maths.

I have of Clubman’s styptic at home. barely use it now that I had a cyst on my lower chin removed. I also have a travel alum block at work I use time to time after a “rough” shave. Useful if the need arises. Just wash off.

I end up using one two or three times a week for stubborn weepers.

I find Osma to be the most effective one far and away. It works much better for me than any of the others I’ve tried, especially Clubman.

Top Bottom