What's new

Slowly turning my back on cart razors

Good evening all.

As per some of my previous reviews you may be aware I have some cart razors as well as my safety razors.

In no particular order my cart razors are the Gillette Sensor, Gillette Fusion and the Wilkinson Sword Hydro.

I seem to have lost interest in using the Fusion and the Hydro razors as they are simply no match for the Sledgehammer/Interceptor razors.
Hence the lack of reviews featuring the said razors.

The only cart razor I seem to use nowadays is the Gillette Sensor. Not going to go into any detail as I have already mentioned the reasons in my shaving reviews.

Just goes to show that you don't need 3 or 5 blades for a great shave.

Jason.

Good evening all.

As per some of my previous reviews you may be aware I have some cart razors as well as my safety razors.

In no particular order my cart razors are the Gillette Sensor, Gillette Fusion and the Wilkinson Sword Hydro.

I seem to have lost interest in using the Fusion and the Hydro razors as they are simply no match for the Sledgehammer/Interceptor razors.

The only cart razor I seem to use nowadays is the Gillette Sensor. Not going to go into any detail as I have already mentioned the reasons in my shaving reviews.

Jason.
When I started with a safety razor, I went cold turkey...however...when I tried straight razors, I kept going back to my safety razor. Each one of us have our favorites, moving at our own pace, and that's ok. The Gillette Sensor was the razor I was using when I converted to wet shaving.

It as simple as whatever works best for you. My world was different growing up. My dad (95 Korean vet / Bronze metal) and super dad. Clean shaver, pants pressed, polished shoes...Taught me to shave at 16 with a SR. Years later DEs / Slants came into play. Never used a cart nor would want do. But that is me, we all have our own paths. Choose wisely and do what works for you. Most guys I work (software development) currently in this company with have beards, they don't what to shave nor care to. Sure most trim them whenever...
I think a cart would melt if it confronted with this beards..
But away, you are here for different reasons..
I am a anti cart guy..
But your life, your choice, your face, your time, your waste, your shave or not...
BFX

Fyi...Cart threads are not popular here...my guess...

Good evening all.

Jason.
Your experience matches mine. Before switching to safety razors, I had tried Sensors, Mach 3s, and Fusions. I found I kept going back to the Sensors. Now I just keep my old Sensors on hand in case I need to fly somewhere carry-on only.

Good evening all.

Jason.
Preaching to the choir, friend.

I started w a DE, a SuperSpeed I bought new for $1.99. I use it still. I moved to the Wilkinson Bonded, the first cart, in around 1975. When the carts became hard to find I went back to the SuperSpeed. I was happy with that and a Ball-handle Tech I found in a drawer until I joined B&B. Then the inevitable RAD led me to acquire a variety of vintage Gillette and Schick injectors and some modern Lords, a Yuma and a Krona. So now I have a 14 razor rotation, but none cost me more than $17 (a mint Gillette Slim). Lathering w hand soap scraps with a $4 boar brush it has remained an economical way to shave, with interesting variety.

Anything in the 3-5 blade range gives me a worse shave. With those, I need to wait at least 3 days before the next shave or my neck will be a bloody mess.

With the two blade sensor or dollar shave club equivalent I can usually shave every 3rd day with no problems.

With the right DE razor, I can shave every 36 hours with no problem and with a mild DE I can shave every 24 hours with no problem.

It would be nice to be able to take a Mach 5 to my face every other day and just be done with it, but my whiskers lay flat against my neck and just won't tolerate that without much blood loss and ingrown hairs.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I like shaving with vintage DE, SE, Straights and Shavettes.

I also enjoy shaving with a vintage Cartridge razor also.

I get great shaves from all of them. :)

IMG_1561.jpg

One blade beats them all. I always thought the more blades the better, I was wrong. Even my first shave which was the most horrible DE shave I ever had was much better than any shave I got from the Fusion. I never looked back to a cart razor.

Top Bottom