What's new

Carts are not the enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Party-C keeps his small bar stocked with everything (except beer :tongue_sm), so that everyone can enjoy the party! :jump:

It's funny, cause the DE guys think carts are not as good, and the straight razor guys think similarly of DEs. Then you will get the subset of Straight guys who think synthetic edges are not as good as a Japanese Natural stone edge. And so it goes on and on. There are no absolutes in our "hobby".

Close the thread; there's nothing more to add.

If most men got better shaves with the amount of effort they are willing to give using DE razors, carts would not dominate the market. For the vast majority of men, shaving is something you do - not fun, not a hobby, and NOT something you spend several hundred dollars on so you can take 30 minutes to leave the bathroom wearing a baby's butt on your face.

I switched to carts from a Schick injector because the Schick injector gave me pee-poor shaves. Of course, in 1974, there were no shaving tutorials or websites. My Dad died in Vietnam in '72, but he wasn't the sort who would have been able to teach me anyways. He used a Schick injector and he left for work most days with a couple of pieces of toilet paper on his face. He removed them during the drive. I doubt my Dad ever experienced a close, comfortable shave. He would have been filled with contempt for anyone who dreamed of having a face like a butt.

I had no trouble switching to an EJ89 when I got fed up with the 'one blade more' mentality of Gillette. When I had to go online to buy my Sensor carts, I noticed Amazon had an EJ89 in the "things other people bought" section - and I decided to try it. Switching was easy, so either I had learned a thing or two in the 30 years of carts or the EJ89 is superior to a Schick injector. I'll never touch a Schick injector again, so I won't find out.

But my "technique" remains the same as with carts: wash face vigorously with soap & hand, then one pass WTG. With a cart, the second pass (using Foamy) went ATG. Now I do XTG, then ATG. But I still have about 45 seconds of "prep", am using canned goo for my follow on passes and find the elaborate pre-shave rituals some go through too much like a peacock primping in front of a mirror. I'd rather burn in hell than need more counter space than my wife...

Carts work well for most guys. They are not and never were the best solution for everyone. I tended to keep using a cart too long, and shaved with one until it just hurt too much. Others apparently never get to where a cart works. I knew plenty of guys who used a lawnmower because wet shaving irritated their skin too much. Me? I used an electric on days when I had a 3 AM briefing and accepted the fact that by 9 AM I'd look unshaved. If I try for a good shave with a lawn mower, my face gets chewed all to hell. But I never had anyone insist it was my electric razor technique, or that electric razors were for everyone.

If carts were an intrinsically bad design, they would not dominate the market. Neither carts nor DE razors nor SE razors nor electric razors are the solution for everyone in the world.

BTW - the REAL secret to great shaves is to use a brush made with hairs plucked one by one from the scrotum of a drunk cat.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I like German and LOVE Belgian beer (Leffe Blonde and Brun FTW!); I just don't stock them as they tend not to stick around for very long. :tongue_sm

I like German and LOVE Belgian beer (Leffe Blonde and Brun FTW!); I just don't stock them as they tend not to stick around for very long. :tongue_sm
Had a good friend over from Belgium, she brought some amazing beers. Sadly they are gone, so we are planning to visit her.
But before then I will be in Germany for a week :w00t:

I appreciate this is how it went for you.

But why do you assume that is the case for "most of us"?

Well, as you miss the point and making something out of nothing here so I guess you really need to prove how superior you are.. just good for you....

If you really need an explanation... why are most of us on this board in the first place?

It's about whatever works for each of us...

Last edited:
I don't know why this topic strikes a nerve with so many on this forum.

All I say is, try to be unbiased.
it seems we slam carts for so many things, but DE's get a free pass when a noob complains about nicks, weepers, irritation, duration of shave etc....his complaints are dismissed with things like "try a different blade/razor/cream/pre/post shave etc"or its their technique and so on.
so much apologism for DE while we hold the carts feet to the fire.

its cult-ish.
we don't owe any more loyalty to the DE shave industry than we do to the mainstream cart industry.

To me, it's like if you took your malfunctioning EFI car to a mechanics and the first thing he said was "EFI sucks....put a carburetor on and your life will improve". Uh, how about we try to fix the EFI issues first? Esp because it's not like there aren't any drawbacks to carburetors as well. They both have their pros and cons.

Shaving is the point of the forum right? NOT razor's. Even the name here says 'Blade', not DE or SE or CARTRIDGE. I started in here with a bunch of questions and found good conversation and a even a way to improve on my minor hobby of photography! I really don't care who I'm talking to in here either, a cart user, a straight user, whatever! These threads make it feel like the office where we're always updating rules on racism, sexism, equal rights and yada yada yada. In the end I'm looking for a PERSON who will show up and do the job without caring who or what they are, same as I'm looking for a RAZOR to shave my face, without caring what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom