What's new

Cartridge vs. DE Shaving

Many years ago, I also started out with cartridge/disposable razors. My neck suffered terribly. I hated to shave because of it and would shave every 3 to 4 days going as long as I could before my facial hair made me look unkempt. To be honest, I probably didn't know what I was doing with those back then either. But it's really only in the last three years that I've gotten into a groove with double edge wet shaving. And it's thanks to these forums that that happened. Now I enjoy the heck out of shaving in the AM. The results are generally superb and it's become something I find joy in. But I still remember the days when it was a hated chore and the results were bloody, painful and irritating.
Better late than never

linty1

My wallet cries.
For me I get good shaves using either, good prep is key for me as I tend to get ingrowns if I don't. I have a variety of de's and my two carts are a Mach 3 with the vibrate thing and a Sensor Excel which I like.

I used cartridge razors for 40 years and I found them comfortable. My son in law experiences a lot of irritation when he uses cartridges. I got him a DE razor for Christmas and he finds it a lot more comfortable to use it. Like everything else regarding shaving, we are all different. Use what works best for you.

I used cartridge razors for 40 years and I found them comfortable. My son in law experiences a lot of irritation when he uses cartridges. I got him a DE razor for Christmas and he finds it a lot more comfortable to use it. Like everything else regarding shaving, we are all different. Use what works best for you.
No true er words were spoken

I am 49, and have a very coarse beard. I have been DE shaving for almost 2 years. In order for me to get a good clean shave, it takes way more than 3 passes to get all the "ghost" hairs around the neck and under the chin. Sometimes I get through it with little irritation, but i am into it about 30 minutes. A few weeks ago, I found out that if I stop after the 3rd pass, and pull out the 5 blade cartridge razor just to clean up with a 4th pass, I am good to go. Perfect shave, not red bumps. If I do this method, a new cartridge razor will last a few months. If I use the cart. razor to start a shave, my hair will sometimes "chip" one of the blades and I will get scratches on my face, or the blade just dulls by the second shave. For me, there is nothing like starting a shave with a DE, and ending with a good Cart. blade.

I am 49, and have a very coarse beard. I have been DE shaving for almost 2 years. In order for me to get a good clean shave, it takes way more than 3 passes to get all the "ghost" hairs around the neck and under the chin. Sometimes I get through it with little irritation, but i am into it about 30 minutes. A few weeks ago, I found out that if I stop after the 3rd pass, and pull out the 5 blade cartridge razor just to clean up with a 4th pass, I am good to go. Perfect shave, not red bumps. If I do this method, a new cartridge razor will last a few months. If I use the cart. razor to start a shave, my hair will sometimes "chip" one of the blades and I will get scratches on my face, or the blade just dulls by the second shave. For me, there is nothing like starting a shave with a DE, and ending with a good Cart. blade.

This is perfect. Best of both worlds.

Top Bottom