What's new

Cartridge to R41 to Cut-Throat

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.

It was part of the British Empire at one time…

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Really? Wow I just did a quick search but can’t find anywhere in the UK that sells 0.1 micron paste, do you know anywhere?
I bought mine from the US through Amazon. The three 5g tubes cost me a little under USD 50 including shipping to the Philippines. They should last me 20 to 30 years.

I bought mine from the US through Amazon. The three 5g tubes cost me a little under USD 50 including shipping to the Philippines. They should last me 20 to 30 years.

year and a half if you keep accumulating 7 day sets.......

camo

Shave 529 and 2 on the slate edged Turner. Lathered with Norse Sandalwood and Omega 44033 boar brush.
I haven’t used this brush for about 6 months or so but on a whim gave it a good soak this morning ready for the shave.
I forgot how good this brush is. Firstly it’s quite small so it fits great into the smallish tin of the Norse soap. (I was sad to see a little spot of metal appear in the centre of the soap). It made a great lather straight away and felt super comfortable on my face with a very soft yet scrubby feel. It easily pulled off the excess lather from my face too being stiff yet very forgiving. The shave was like yesterday, nice and close and smooth throughout.
I had a nice cold rinse then a stinging splash of Harris’s Sandalwood aftershave with a quick spray of Trumper Sandalwood Cologne when leaving the house. It’s a nice combination.

Shave 530 and 1 on the slate edged Gold Dollar B.
Last night I honed it on slate but it was difficult. I was just using clear water and watching for a nice clean undercut. After a while I saw that it cut hanging hair but only at the heel end. I kept going and going very light strokes until eventually the middle cut hair too. I kept going but couldn’t get the toe end to cut the hanging hair.
I had a shave with it this morning and it was fine, nice very clean shave but I knew it could be perfect as half the edge was sharper than the other. I couldn’t feel this at all during the shave though it was nice and smooth.
I took it back to the stone with an idea. I’d try 30 or so more passes and try to sharpen up the toe and if that didn’t work ( which it didn’t) I’d Slurry the stone up and start again from scratch and progress through weaker and weaker slurries. So that’s what I did. Every time the blade sucked the stone I’d dilute the slurry then repeat. Eventually got it to clear water but still the toe won’t pas the HHT. It’s definitely fine to shave with it’s just puzzling. I’m going to hone my Shuredge tonight but on a Naniwa 12k and use some of the learning I’ve picked up these last few weeks.

Shave 531 and 1 on the slate Gold Dollar B. Lathered with Omega boar and Palmolive shave stick.
Really happy with the edge this morning, a big improvement on yesterday. Even if only half the razor can pass the HHT you wouldn’t know it by the shave, the razor feels very sharp along the whole length. I got a great shave from it today.
After the shave I honed my Shuredge on my Naniwa 12k using some of the techniques I’ve been learning.
90C5C225-A6DB-4986-BE2D-61EBC8BCC8F4.jpeg

I first gave the razor 10 laps then 10 light ones. Then gave another 10 laps and 5 light ones. Then finally 10 very light passes. Looking forward to trying this tomorrow.

Shave 532 and 1 on the Shuredge with a brand new Naniwa 12k edge, lathered with Omega boar brush and Hawkins and Brimble shaving cream.
34A7130C-A4D1-43AA-A4FF-D91BC4689056.jpeg

id always struggled to get my razors through the hanging hair test even though I was getting brilliant shaves. I heard someone say he wet the hair before the test. After stropping this morning I tried the HHT with a wet hair and it silently cut the hair at every touch no problem. The shave was really smooth and relaxing and beautifully close.
A nice splash of Harris’s Sandalwood for a brilliant finish with a great scent.

Shave 533 and 2 on the Naniwa edged Bengal near wedge, lathered with Sterling Margaritas and Yaqi Badger.
6D4E714D-5758-448B-93C0-72BBF75BAA03.jpeg

this chunky little wedge was on brilliant form this morning. I could’ve stopped after the first pass. I haven’t used it for a while and I don’t remember it being so sharp but it was great and a nice change in feel after using mostly full hollows lately. The more I use this Sterling soap the more I like it,

Shave 534 and 2nd on the slate edged Thomas Turner & Co lathered with Sterling Margaritas and Yaqi Badger.
This razor gave me a great shave last time. I couldn’t get it to cut hanging hair at all this morning but it performed brilliantly on the shave. Every pass was close and sharp and super smooth. I had a nice cold rinse and a splash of Proraso Green. My face is as smooth as anything

Shave 536 and 4 on the Naniwa edged Bengal near wedge lathered with Taylor’s Sandalwood and Yaqi Badger brush.
I had to abandon yesterday’s shave after 2 passes as I had a hangover, was a bit wobbly still, and felt I’d injure myself if I carried on so it was nice to have a good relaxing stress free shave today and I had a lot of stubble to fell. Great scent from the soap and a lovely smooth 4 pass lick from the razor then a splash of DR Harris Sandalwood aftershave to finish.

I've used a cut throat for over 50 years and never used my left hand. If I tried now I'm sure I'd be as scared as you are. Watch a few vids and check out the different grip on the razor for the left side of your face.

Shave 543 and 1 on a film edged Henckels Friodur, lathered with Taylor’s Jermyn St and Yaqi Silvertip.
This morning I got out my acrylic block and a new piece of yellow lapping film and thought I’d shave today with a brand new edge and I wanted to use the recent leaning I’ve done as I haven’t used the films for ages.
I gave the Friodur and my ELSINE 20 very light laps each. The yellow film is 1 micron which around 15000 grit so I didn’t bother finishing on the white 0.3 micron film this time just 20 very light laps. The Friodur had done about 17 shaves since the last honing and the ELSINE about 8. Both were still shaving well but I wanted to touch them up.
I stropped the Friodur and got started. What a lovely edge! Not only an extremely close shave but it left my face super smooth too. Splash of DR Harris Sandalwood aftershave to finish a great Sunday morning shave.

Shave 544 and 1 on the ELSINE following a honing on films.
I gave this razor and my Friodur exactly the same number of very light laps on the 1 micron film. The Friodur came out great but today’s shave with the ELSINE wasn’t brilliant. It didn’t feel the smoothest though it’s definitely very sharp plus there are a few areas which aren’t bbs but which I definitely shaved well. If 20 laps was enough for the stainless Friodur maybe 10 would’ve been enough for the carbon steel ELSINE.

Shave 546 and 2 on the film edged Friodur lathered with Sterling Margaritas and Yaqi Silvertip.
this is the best edge I’ve gotten on this razor, maybe on any razor I’ve done and it’s delivering brilliant shaves. The thing I like is that the shave is easier. I don’t have to work as hard to flatten areas, and my face is thanking me for it. This is helped by the size and weight of the Friodur. If there was one change I could make I’d give it a square point rather than a round one to wipe out the hollow on the left hand side of the neck. I can get it with the round point but it’s not easy.

I was wondering just how thin my 1 micron lapping film edge on my Friodur really is, trying to visualize it, just what does a 1 micron edge mean?
A 1 micron edge is undetectable to human vision. You can fit a million microns (or a million straight razor edges) side by side on a meter rule, or 24700 into an inch or 1000 into a millimetre or 75 across the width of a human hair!
If a single bacterium lay across my 1 micron edge it would look like a sausage balanced across a knife edge.
A red blood cell could be cut.
A human chromosome is also bigger than the edge but a human mitochondrion is 1 micron thick and could sit pretty flush on the edge.
Pretty crazy to think my Friodur could slice a bacterium into several slices! And this is the thing I wave around my face with both hands groggy as anything every morning.

Shave 547 and 2 on the Naniwa 12k edged Shuredge lathered with Maca Root cream And Yaqi Silvertip.
Ive been spending a lot of time recently honing on a few different abrasives. I find that the learning on one can be largely transferred in some form to another. As a result I’m now getting much better edges on every abrasive I use. This Suredge is now extremely sharp and shaving as well if not better than any razor I’ve Used.
it was a joy to use today and gave me one of my best ever shaves. That’s what I like about learning the straight, just when I think I’m close to maxing out the shave I learn more I’m some area and cut ever smoother and ever better.

Shave 549 and 2 on the film edged ELSINE. I used Taylor’s Sandalwood cream and Yaqi brush.
good shave, close, but I had to work at it. The ELSINE would benefit from a little more honing.
I took a little drive to the Master Barbers in Southport. It’s a brilliant old fashioned barbershop which sells all the soaps, razors, strops, aftershaves etc you could want. There’s nothing on their website, you have to visit.
I only popped in for a bottle of Trumper Sandalwood Cologne, they were just out of it, so I picked up a tub of Proraso Green which I love but ran out of ages ago, a new alum block and a Tabac shave stick as I’m going away on business soon. I’ll go back in a week for the Trumper. I could order it online but I’d rather give my money to these fellas as it’s such a great place.
71F6C5DF-DB73-4BA6-9F2B-47A420207051.jpeg

Shave 550.
I think of every 50 shaves as little milestones for me. Today I chose my Naniwa 12k edged Bengal near wedge on its 3rd use lathered with my new Tabac shave stick and Yaqi Silvertip.
0831B877-15B5-4E5C-831E-11F2AC3B82AD.jpeg

the Tabac stick smelled great and made a really slick fast lather.
After all these straight razor shaves Im still learning how best to shave with it. I can get daily bbs and have done since my early shaves but I’m still improving my techniques and trying new methods to get closer and smoother and easier.
A big area of recent improvement has been honing which has unlocked better edges for me and allowed me to make slight technical changes.
My shaves are great but I feel I’ve still got a lot to learn.
The Bengal felt really soft and smooth today which is an odd description of a piece of sharp steel but it’s how it feels. Lovely splash of Harris’s Sandalwood aftershave and a brilliant shave today.

Last edited:
Shave 552 and 3 on the film edged Friodur lathered with Taylor’s Jermyn st and Omega boar.
B6933F0E-43A9-45C9-B625-55D6A94CB5A5.jpeg

I’m away at the min on business so I packed this little kit. The Friodur was on top form today, smooth and extremely sharp, so sharp did it feel that I was extra careful with it. I got an amazing shave which lasted all day and night
Today Is Wednesday, on Tuesday morning I was out early so did a shave with my R41. Firstly I noticed I was no quicker with the DE than with the straight and secondly despite getting a very close smooth shave the hair grew back much quicker after the R41 shave.
No idea why this was so but it was, the straight as well as being more comfortable and closer generally also lasts hours longer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom