What's new

Carrying a reload

For those of you who carry a reload (magazine, speed strip, speed loader, etc), how do you carry? When carrying a pistol, I carry the spare mag on my weak side and when carrying a revolver, I carry the reload on my strong side (I shift hands to reload when carrying a revolver). I have been shopping for holsters for my new Micro 9 and notice that there are a lot of pistol holsters have a place for the spare magazine to be carried on the strong side. This seems kinda counter-intuitive to me (since I would have to reach across my body to get my reload). What do you guys think?

Strong side pistol carry, weak side magazine carry. That's my outfit in training, and also when I was shooting IDPA or bowling pin shoots. Makes sense to me to conceal carry the same way so I don't have to wonder where everything is. Also, as you said, weak side mag carry puts it right in the hand it needs to be in when it comes time to reload.

Truth is, though, that I don't often carry a reload any more. Everything I read suggest that if I ever do find myself in need of a weapon, the issues is very likely to be resolved long before I run out of one magazine's worth of ammo. About the only time I carry a spare now is when I'm driving long distances, and then it's in the center console of my car.

Strong side pistol carry, weak side magazine carry. That's my outfit in training, and also when I was shooting IDPA or bowling pin shoots. Makes sense to me to conceal carry the same way so I don't have to wonder where everything is. Also, as you said, weak side mag carry puts it right in the hand it needs to be in when it comes time to reload.

Truth is, though, that I don't often carry a reload any more. Everything I read suggest that if I ever do find myself in need of a weapon, the issues is very likely to be resolved long before I run out of one magazine's worth of ammo. About the only time I carry a spare now is when I'm driving long distances, and then it's in the center console of my car.

I would feel this way if I carried a pistol with a hi-cap magazine. I carry a 1911 so I feel better (most likely an illusion) with a spare mag.

I don't carry pistols with 17 round, double stack magazines. I prefer a 1911 ("A more elegant weapon from a more civilized time" to quote Ben Kenobi's description of another weapon). I use 8rd Wilson Combat mags, so 8+1 in the pistol and another 8 rds in my weak side pocket. For my J-frame, I throw a speed strip in my weak side pocket and another in my watch pocket if I'm in jeans.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I carry an LCP. In the watch pocket of my jeans and jean shorts I carry an extra magazine or two.
They fit perfectly!!

I conceal carry whenever I leave the house, and it’s a 1911 the majority of the time. The times it’s something different, odds are it’s a revolver.
Generally, I do not carry spare ammunition. The vast majority of self defense situations end with 3 shots or less being fired. I feel that if I need more than 6 or 7 bullets, my training failed, or I have allowed myself to get into a situation that I should never have been in the first place. It’s gone past self defense and has become a firefight. Awareness to your surroundings is the first line of self defense.
That being said, if I were to carry a spare magazine, it would be pistol strong side, magazine weak side. If you feel better carrying an extra magazine or two, or think you’ll need them, go for it. Me and my bad back will go without them.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I've always carried both magazines and speed loaders on the weak side, but these days I'm more likely to simply carry a second pistol. Faster and today easier.

I would feel this way if I carried a pistol with a hi-cap magazine. I carry a 1911 so I feel better (most likely an illusion) with a spare mag.
I have no problem at all with anyone carrying extra mags, and in fact I did so for many years when I carried a 1911. As I've gotten older, though, and started carrying a higher capacity handgun (recently a Sig P365), I've felt less need to do so. Studies like this one have helped me feel comfortable with that decision, but like I said, I would never argue that everyone should do what I do. There are far more important things to argue about, like whether A&W root beer is as tasty from a can as from a frosted mug. And actually, I don't think there is any grounds for an argument there. It's the frosted mug, of course!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I think it has all been said. If you carry a semi-auto on strong side spare mags. go on the weak side. If you carry a revolver on the strong side spare ammo goes on the strong side. The revolver speed strips do fit nicely in the watch pocket of jeans. Keep your spare ammo as close and as easy to operate to the weapon as you can, depending on how you need to reload. Semi-auto is reloaded with the weak hand, revolvers with the strong hand.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have no problem at all with anyone carrying extra mags, and in fact I did so for many years when I carried a 1911. As I've gotten older, though, and started carrying a higher capacity handgun (recently a Sig P365), I've felt less need to do so. Studies like this one have helped me feel comfortable with that decision, but like I said, I would never argue that everyone should do what I do. There are far more important things to argue about, like whether A&W root beer is as tasty from a can as from a frosted mug. And actually, I don't think there is any grounds for an argument there. It's the frosted mug, of course!

And a A&W chili hot dog to go with it! :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The primary reason I carry a spare magazine is for the ability to clear a malfunction quicker, regardless of magazine capacity. Semi auto reload on weakside, revolver reload on strong side. Probability of getting into a gunfight..low. Probability of needing more than a few rounds..low. Probability of having a malfunction..low, but I want to be well prepared to deal with a life or death malfunction clearance. Probability of topping off to full capacity when safe to do so..100%.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I conceal carry whenever I leave the house, and it’s a 1911 the majority of the time. The times it’s something different, odds are it’s a revolver.
Generally, I do not carry spare ammunition. The vast majority of self defense situations end with 3 shots or less being fired. I feel that if I need more than 6 or 7 bullets, my training failed, or I have allowed myself to get into a situation that I should never have been in the first place. It’s gone past self defense and has become a firefight. Awareness to your surroundings is the first line of self defense.
That being said, if I were to carry a spare magazine, it would be pistol strong side, magazine weak side. If you feel better carrying an extra magazine or two, or think you’ll need them, go for it. Me and my bad back will go without them.
I used to think this same way but after 32 years carrying I have learned that poop happens. I would rather have to reach into that pocket, remove that extra unused magazine or two, and replace them in the safe than to reach down when I need them and they are not there.
BUT. I carry a very small weapon with very small magazines that hold 6 rounds. I pray I never need them but I have them and know they are there.
Let’s say I fire 3 rounds in self defense and the bad guy is down. I combat reload to a full mag. Why? I don’t know if his buddies are coming. The police are minutes away. He’s right in front of me and maybe a friend or two of his. Now I am topped off and prepared to protect my life and my family’s. That’s just my thinking.
We react the way we train and I train this way. If you train only using what’s in your weapon there’s no need to carry an extra magazine because when It hits the fan you will never use it.
Sensory overload. You will react as you train. You will not be thinking.

Another but!!!!
It’s still better to carry your weapon than it is to leave it at home.
Stay safe
marty

I will carry spare ammo on my strong side when we're talking speed strips with a revolver, otherwise always on the weakside with a spare mag.

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I will carry spare ammo on my strong side when we're talking speed strips with a revolver, otherwise always on the weakside with a spare mag.

proxy.php
How do you like that belt, and who made it please? I like it.

How do you like that belt, and who made it please? I like it.
Love it, it's been supporting the weight of a 1911 ~40 ounces in-loaded for two years now. I like it so much I have three different colors.

It is made by A&G custom gunleather. I never could get myself to subscribe to the tactical poly webbing belts but that's just me.

Top Bottom