What's new

Captain's Choice Soap Locker's

Good Day Gent's

Several weeks ago Scott of Captain's Choice had sent me some prototype soap holders he's been working on and asked me to review them and give him my feedback on both the large and small, well I have spent the last couple weeks putting various soaps and creams in both and using them ( about 8 shaves per holder ) well after i completed my personal evaluation i gave the feedback both positive and negative back to Scott and also wanted to share my review/thoughts here as well.

Here are the holders he sent ( keep in mind these are prototypes and not the final product ) pictured are 1 large and 1 small, the large measures 3.25" ID x 1.75" D and the small is 2.9" ID x 2.0" D and both have a capacity of approx. 5.0 ozs., at this capacity the large has about .75" left at the top and the small has about .5" my preference is to have some room left to allow you to lather off the puck if you are using a soap and not a cream.

IMG_6158.jpg
IMG_6159.jpg

Next in for testing was to see how they would hold various sizes of soaps if one decided to not put Scotts product in the soap holders ( How dare you :001_smile ), as you can see the larger one can easily take both large and small pucks but the smaller one would only accept the smaller puck unless you grated the larger one into the container.

Large:
IMG_6160.jpg
IMG_6162.jpg

Small:
IMG_6161.jpg
IMG_6163.jpg

Last edited:
And finally some eye candy and closing comments, both soap holders would easily work but my preference would lean towards the smaller one as it fits my hand better and I don't mind grating soap but the smaller one would easily accept a softer soap or cream without issue, the larger and a very nice size it is easily accepts pretty much any puck or soft soap the only issues i had were the way the lids fit as there was no over hang on the lid to allow easy removal which from chatting with Scott this has been addressed.

IMG_6164.jpg IMG_6165.jpg IMG_6169.jpg IMG_6170.jpg IMG_6172.jpg IMG_6173.jpg IMG_6174.jpg IMG_6175.jpg

All in all these are nice soap holders regardless of the size you pick once available but be mindful that if you go small and choose not to use a soft soap you will have to grate it down to get it to fit unless its like a small vintage puck.

I myself will be getting more than likely at least a large and small so i can use the smaller one for softer creams and the larger for whatever I choose but it will be Scotts product as it seems only fitting to have it in these holders.

Scott thank you so much for allowing me to test these and hope you don't mind me posting my review, I throughly enjoyed doing this. I cannot wait for the final release and you can count me in for a couple, I'm thinking I need the lather bowl to so it's a complete set :302:

Last edited:
Its funny you mentioned the way the lid fits and how that affects being able to pull it off, that was my first thought when seeing the pics in the first post... I thought these looked way cool when Scott first posted pics, I'm sure the final product will be awesome.

Its funny you mentioned the way the lid fits and how that affects being able to pull it off, that was my first thought when seeing the pics in the first post... I thought these looked way cool when Scott first posted pics, I'm sure the final product will be awesome.

Yes the lid issue has been addressed from my understanding but I am sure Scott may chime in later to confirm, i just wanted to do a non biased review and as I said the ones I received to test were the first prototypes of both sizes.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
How is the lid fitment when the soap is in it? From the pics, it looks like the lid goes a ways down into the bowl.

Kindly,
Adam

How is the lid fitment when the soap is in it? From the pics, it looks like the lid goes a ways down into the bowl.

Kindly,
Adam

With a full puck of MWF in the larger bowl the rim on the lid does not come in contact with the product, as far as the smaller one you would have to grate the larger puck down and press it into the holder and fill say to about 1/2"-3/4" from the top and would be good to go, 3rd pic down shows a full unopened puck in the larger holder and there is about 3/4" or more room left so the lid does not touch the soap.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
With a full puck of MWF in the larger bowl the rim on the lid does not come in contact with the product, as far as the smaller one you would have to grate the larger puck down and press it into the bowl and fill say to about 1/2"-3/4" from the top and would be good to go.
Thanks! I was curious about that when I saw the prototypes a few weeks ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

For me, and a select few special soaps these would be ok. But I have a crap load of soap and I really need something modular/stackable. Thes are really pretty though and I would consider a couple. If I was the kind of guy that used the same soap every day...this would probably be the one I chose.

For me, and a select few special soaps these would be ok. But I have a crap load of soap and I really need something modular/stackable. Thes are really pretty though and I would consider a couple. If I was the kind of guy that used the same soap every day...this would probably be the one I chose.

I had the same idea you had at one time, I wanted all my soaps and creams in one type of container and ended up getting these from Parkway:

$IMG_3378.jpg

But a few months later I found them to be preety boring so when soaps started running out and I replaced them I went back to original containers, I do have several specialty containers though like the containers I tested from Scott and a few others.

IMG_6164.jpg
IMG_6169.jpg

IMG_5930.jpg
IMG_5935.jpg
IMG_5936.jpg
IMG_5944.jpg

I picked up this stainless steel double wall bowl with lid -
Men's Wet Shaving Tool Stainless Double Layer With Lid Shave Steel Mug Bowl Kit | eBay

The lid fits really well, the double wall means that if you put hot water in it, it doesn't cool as fast, and multiples would be stackable.

I really like that Captain's Choice container, but I drop too much stuff to go for the ceramic option.

I'll take one in burgundy and black. I'm not liking how far the lid extends into the bowl -- seems like overkill to me. Gotta have a lip on the lid that extends over the edge but that's been addressed.

The sweet spot in a lathering bowl for me is 4" diameter by 3" high. I have a cappuccino mug that size and it's great for high lofted bowl lathering brushes. Unfortunately, it's super slick inside so there's no texture assist. Too small of a bowl and it's difficult to use a larger brush, but one can always use a small brush in a bigger bowl.

But, I face lather about 90% of the time.

-Kesto

Very nice. Great review. Like I said on the "launching" thread, I'd prefer lid for the lathering bowl. And if you could stack them ... Winner winner.

I just ordered a blue one to match my lather bowl. Scott said it will ship Thur. Might get it Saturday.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Received my soap locker bowl and some of captains choice soap a few days ago. Butiful work as usual, and shipping was very fast.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom