What's new

Can't resist the occasional Hone Lot Gamble, a breakdown.

So, every once in awhile I still get the need to take a gamble on a hone lot... even as I'm trying to thin out my collection.

People have gotten better at ID'ing Thuris lately (Used to be pretty damn easy to snag steals, even in auctions... now 95% of Thuri's I find get ID'ed on top of all the Thuri-looking stones that are mistakenly bid up by people mis-Id'ing them. But you can still get lucky here and there... mostly if you'll gamble on lots with bad pictures.

Brings us to todays topic. Found a lot that looked interesting for a few reasons. Expected to snag it just over $100, but wound up dropping $200 on it after tax and shipping... right at my max bid.

Today's the breakdown of the pictures and expectations. once it's here I will update on the actual ID's and how well I fared...

SEE BELOW

So that's the expectation. I Know I'm getting a Coti, assume it's 7". Expecting a 10" Thuri with pretty high probability. Then hoping for a couple washita, maybe a trans ark, and possibly a couple other Thuri/Lune type stones. The rest I'm just hoping surprises me, with about 75% of the lot planned to be just going in a junk box on arrival.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • 4b.jpg
    4b.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Stone

Hope
Likelihood
BoobyPrize/Risk
1x1x8" Washita
Less than 50%, maybe 40%
India/other synth

7x1.5" Thuri
Low, pretty thick for one, looks coarsish/chips don't look right
Junk slate, maybe even odd shape carbo or similar

6x2" Trans ark or LWW
Maybe 40%, In the glue/breaks I want to say I see some translucence, but could be a trick of the light.
Cheap chinese oilstone, maybe india covered in cement/adhesive from being box mounted.

Tiny chance of broken Thuri, but honestly, hoping it's aninteresting barber hone
<5% chance broken thuri
Most likely junky "barber hone"/piece

6.5-7x1.5" Thuri or BBW (with some coti you can't see in pics)
<30% Thuri. 70% BBW (but no indicator if there's any coti there)
Most likely BBW imho... risk is no coti on other side. Slim chance of random slate.

Honestly, this stone is junk.
100%
It's a carbo or queer creek pocket stone caked in oil/swarf.

Another junk
99%, 1% chance I'm shocked by something nice under a ton of swarf/residue.

It's a cigar stone.
They aint bad for what they're for
But a dime a dozen

Probably a Queer creek or other "high" grit tool stone.
99%, 1% chance I get a surprise
Junk stone, it'll get tossed in a box in the shed.

5-6"x2" Washita maybe?
<20%
Those "waterspot" looking dirt says crappy synth that's rotting/falling apart or foundstone that's probably useless to me.

Thuri or La Lune
40%
Looks like a Mikado with british slate to me.

This is a fine or med Carbo
99%, 1%
Looks like a gummy fine carbo to me.

Another Cigar-ish hone
Meh
Meh

Think these are for mower blades?
Meh
Meh

gummed up pocket ark/washita
35%
gummed up carbo/queercreek

Piece of interesting barber hone
we'll see
Piece of junk barber hone

Piece of Rouge I think, Maybe a piece of some odd natural. Very worn piece of very red BBW/slate?
Interested to see what it is at least.
But probably goes in the box

Tool/detail sharpening stick
eh
The box

Tool/detail sharpening stick
eh
the box

See #1
See #1
See #1

Well Duh. I guess hope is it's 7x1.5 and not 6x1.25
Looks 7" to me, 90%?
5x1" that the camera is playing crazy tricks with maybe?

A Nice hindo maybe? Slight chance of Washita
40%, maybe <10%
Looks like a crack in it off that big chip. Looks soft, so some kinda sandstone or very crummy synth.

7" Thuri
<20%
Looks too thick and flakey and generally beat up.

Random 7x1.5" Slate.
Looks slate. Maybe some interesting label or details in the packaging?
who knows, had similar thin ~4x1 or 5x1 slates before. Usually very hard and slow but pretty decent finishers.
it is what it is.

Uhh, maybe tiny chance it's a 4x1" thuri or Black Ark?
<3%.
It's probably another detail synth or junk slate.

This is why this cost me so much. People were bidding hoping this is a 10x2" DB Escher missing the label.
70%+ I figure.
any other slate in 10x2"

6x1.25" Thuri
<25%
Looks like another Queer Creek/Fine tool stone in this format. They're not super common, but they're not rare either.

Another interesting barber hone piece
eh
Looks like a typical ruddy swaty-type piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most detailed stone lot analysis I've ever seen! I saw this too but once it got into three digits I dropped out, too many stones lately and i just got burned again by a india stone covered with layers of junk i thought was hindostan layers. There are atleast 6 solid stones in your lot. The trans, 2-3 thuri/slates, washita, coticule ect all stuff a collector who knew what to look for would collect!

#1... Perspective is hard. Beauty of a 8x2" Washita $1 flea market price sticker on it
#2... Seems like a Heavy, coarse nat... That Sparkly stuff that's kinda like a harder, queer creek? Never know what to call it. Junk, but I'mma soak it just to be sure.
#3... Score one for the good guys, 6x2" cut Trans ark
#4 DE Barbers Hone. I've seen these sold on eBay, think they're called emerald hones or something. They're green and V shaped, not C shaped.
#5 Another smash. Nat Combo 6" Coti, and it does have some Yellow left. Not a ton, but for $0.19 from Goodwill, what do you expect?
#6, 7, 8, 9 All correct, All Junk
#10 First Lucky score... Fatty Brick of Washita. ~6x2.5x1.5(thickest)
#11 Score Tiniest bit of end label remaining DB Escher 7", with some flea market $1 price tag on it.
#12 Pretty sure it's a carbo replacement for the Smaller (9"?) Norton Trihone. May be a very coarse slate. A soak will tell us.
#13-19 All dead on, Junk and a chunk of rouge.
#20 Perspective's next victim. 8x2" Washita #2
#21 7x1.75" Nat Combo Coti
#22 Pretty sure this is a fatty Hindo. No crack, someone started to saw it in pieces and gave up real quick. Easy to lap past. And that'll confirm ID (95% sure now)
#23 Really abused, so not certain until I clean it, but 80% sure it's an 8" DB Thuri. Same $1 flea market's tag as the 7" and the washita
#24 A surprise score. Mad I missed this one, honestly. So obviously BBW now that I look at the pictures again. Little 6" Glued Combo Coticule.
#25 Man am I Good at ID'ing junk.
#26 So if this 10x2x1" Slate showed up at my door, I wouldn't think twice. It's a 10" Escher. Problem? It's 12x2" Can't recall ever finding a 12x2" Thuri before... so really interested in how this cleans up... but other than dimensions... this is a Thuri to every sense I've got. If I clean it and it turns purple though... very sad day.
#27 Gem of a 6" Thuri, BG/LG/YG (cleanup will reveal)
#28 Almost mentioned in my prediction that this specifically looked like a DE barbers hone. Should have, that's what it is.

#26 is a beauty... but it's purple with green orbs. Seen these called a bunch of stuff. Best I can tell you is it's purple slate with green orbs.

Probably going to give it a couple days before I shave test it cuz I haven't shaved for several days and I don't want to test it with an inaugural shave.

edit: I lied, shaving off it tonight, but I won't have a reliable impression (unless it's terrible) until shave 2 at least. First shave after awhile I tend to be pretty forgiving to edges.

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_222913026.jpg
    IMG_20220721_222913026.jpg
    868.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
#23 Not looking like a thuri post clean either. Bbw probably?

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_224251934.jpg
    IMG_20220721_224251934.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220721_224255380.jpg
    IMG_20220721_224255380.jpg
    886.7 KB · Views: 23
Off-topic, but what is with the formatting of this thread? I'm seeing everything in two columns. Other threads that I have just opened are one column as usual. Very strange.
I tried a ton to fix it. Forum seems to not like the use of long tables when formatting on PC's... Interestingly, it looks fine on my phone though.

So basically, I got maybe $100-125 worth of coti's, a couple hundred in Thuri's/eschers, Somewhere in the $100-150 neighborhood in Washitas, a big hunk of Hindo, a 6x2" vintage trans ark (Maybe $80-100 these days?), and a 12x2" slate and a 8" bbw/slate of unknown value... plus a bunch of junk...

For $200, where the closest thing to a "sure thing" that was still a gamble (the assumed 10x2" Thuri) was a bust. I mean all in all, I think this lot turned out pretty poorly for me (unless the purple slate turns out to be Thuri quality, which is doubtful)... and I still scored a ton more stones for my collection than I'd ever have gotten on eBay for the same money buying individually... though not the same kind of price/stone getting lucky in flea markets can bring you.

Hence the appeal of these lots.

Last edited:
Nice rocks!

Sorry the Thuris didn't pull through, but a load of other nice stuff in there eh.

(FWIW - from memory I think someone has posted a 12 x 2 on the Thuri thread somewhere. Though I've not seen another apart from that).

Nice rocks!

Sorry the Thuris didn't pull through, but a load of other nice stuff in there eh.

(FWIW - from memory I think someone has posted a 12 x 2 on the Thuri thread somewhere. Though I've not seen another apart from that).
Yeah I vaguely remembered seeing ONE once, but I decided I probably just dreamed it. Unfortunately, a purple 12x2" with green orbs pretty much rules out Thuri in my book. The "skin" that made it look like a Dark blue gave me hope, but I'm almost positive I've never seen a Thuri with the green orbs/blobs... to the point where if I ever saw a labeled one, I'd assume the label was a fake.

I'll also note that after maybe 30 minutes trying I DID fix it by exporting the table to excel, reformatting it and pasting it back... then as soon as I replied to the thread, it broke it again.

Yeah I vaguely remembered seeing ONE once, but I decided I probably just dreamed it. Unfortunately, a purple 12x2" with green orbs pretty much rules out Thuri in my book. The "skin" that made it look like a Dark blue gave me hope, but I'm almost positive I've never seen a Thuri with the green orbs/blobs... to the point where if I ever saw a labeled one, I'd assume the label was a fake.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say not a Thuri, but one of the various Purple-with-Green-Splodges stones as you say.

The ones of those that I've had which have been razor grade level of fineness have actually been very good - right up there with the best slates in terms of razor stuff (imo). And any quality stone in a 12x2" version has got to be regarded as a nice score I think :).

From your pics no.23 looks like it might be the same kind, or do you reckon BBW...?

Dollars to donuts the 12" is the same material as this stone @kcb5150 posted in 2019.

.. And the 8" is the same material as @timwcic posted in the same thread.

So if either of you have a good idea on the identity of those stones, I'd love to hear.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I tried a ton to fix it. Forum seems to not like the use of long tables when formatting on PC's... Interestingly, it looks fine on my phone though.

I'll also note that after maybe 30 minutes trying I DID fix it by exporting the table to excel, reformatting it and pasting it back... then as soon as I replied to the thread, it broke it again.

For whatever reason, the software here can't deal with tables copied and pasted from spreadsheets or websites.
I was able to keep your info in post #2 but it isn't formatted anymore.
Sorry about that.
It's screwy, and if it gets reported or copied, the thread it's reported to or copied to gets screwed up as well.

Off-topic, but what is with the formatting of this thread? I'm seeing everything in two columns. Other threads that I have just opened are one column as usual. Very strange.

This happened to me earlier in the week. When I restarted my browser, the "problem" went away. Must have to do with the underlying software that runs the site.

Top Bottom