What's new

Canada Shaving Soap review

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I can also say with confidence that this soap has a very very moisturizing post shave feel, very different from MdC. The main comparisons are mostly due to the similar ingredients/6 month curing time/long lasting tubs.

Thank you. I'll have a better time waiting for mine.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I really doubt that the elimination of the tub will contribute much savings to selling price at this price point. It also doesn't add much weight, so not sure it would result in much savings, if at all, with respect to shipping.
In the grand scheme of things no, it's definitely not a large portion of the overall cost (especially at the prices some soaps are going for now). But for example if someone is buying a $12 tub soap and the additional cost of the tub/packaging is $2, that's 20% difference vs a loose puck. And if 2 tubs have to be shipped Priority whereas maybe 2 loose pucks can be shipped regular because of weight difference, that could be $4-5 difference in shipping cost.
I know it's not a major consideration, but I've always been curious about it. Kindof goes along with the discussion about soapers doing 2oz/half-puck offerings in addition to full-sized tubs.

In the grand scheme of things no, it's definitely not a large portion of the overall cost (especially at the prices some soaps are going for now). But for example if someone is buying a $12 tub soap and the additional cost of the tub/packaging is $2, that's 20% difference vs a loose puck. And if 2 tubs have to be shipped Priority whereas maybe 2 loose pucks can be shipped regular because of weight difference, that could be $4-5 difference in shipping cost.
I know it's not a major consideration, but I've always been curious about it. Kindof goes along with the discussion about soapers doing 2oz/half-puck offerings in addition to full-sized tubs.
At the bulk prices vendors pay, I would be surprised if the tub/labels cost more than a dollar. Look at how much plastic is used for packaging food and the cost of those items.

I bought nice 8oz plastic lidded tubs that were a good soap size in "bulk" (100+) for about $1.75 each if memory serves. Cheaper ones were either metal that would rust before the soaps were used up if kept in damp places or too narrow for practical loading of a brush.

Add labels and $1.5-$2.5 is about what a nice package costs. Then envelope/box/shipping was about $4-$8 per puck on up for singles. So in the end it's almost $10 out the door for a soap without even the cost of the soap... And sales platforms/payment processing takes 10-25% off the top.

Soap is really cheap to make but really expensive to sell.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I bought nice 8oz plastic lidded tubs that were a good soap size in "bulk" (100+) for about $1.75 each if memory serves. Cheaper ones were either metal that would rust before the soaps were used up if kept in damp places or too narrow for practical loading of a brush.

Add labels and $1.5-$2.5 is about what a nice package costs. Then envelope/box/shipping was about $4-$8 per puck on up for singles. So in the end it's almost $10 out the door for a soap without even the cost of the soap... And sales platforms/payment processing takes 10-25% off the top.

Soap is really cheap to make but really expensive to sell.

Back in high school I worked in a snowball stand. Some call 'em snow-cones. Anyway, the ingredients cost about a quarter of a cent. The cups more than that. The smallest size sold for ten cents with probably about a nickel profit for the stand owner.

When I say "stand" think of a nice enough shack built in a weekend by a family. No actual running water. No plumbing of any kind. Water came from a hose from a neighbors house. The stand could be picked up and moved and was I think on blocks.

Today's prices on the same items reflect all sorts of costs which hadn't been dreamed up back then.

I'm sure much is similar in the shaving soap industry.

Happy shaves,

Jim

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Back in high school I worked in a snowball stand. Some call 'em snow-cones. Anyway, the ingredients cost about a quarter of a cent. The cups more than that. The smallest size sold for ten cents with probably about a nickel profit for the stand owner.

When I say "stand" think of a nice enough shack built in a weekend by a family. No actual running water. No plumbing of any kind. Water came from a hose from a neighbors house. The stand could be picked up and moved and was I think on blocks.

Today's prices on the same items reflect all sorts of costs which hadn't been dreamed up back then.

I'm sure much is similar in the shaving soap industry.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Amen.

I just wanted to thank all you gentlemen for putting this soap on my radar. I like MdC but not the price, especially after the currency exchange and import fees to bring it into Canada.... Where this "new to me" soap is made...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My first four shaves with Canada Shaving Soap have been good.

5-13-22.RV-DO1.CanadaSS.FOCS-Gold.640.JPG

I'm considering removing maybe a third of the product from the tub.

More space in the tub makes sense to me. I'd use a larger tub if I were loading this amount of soap. I'm not asking here for less soap. The price doesn't seem outlandish considering the amount of soap and how long the container lasts (from what I've read).

Whether Canada Shaving Soap leaves me with dry skin may be determined later. For now, no dry skin. Dry skin is a deal breaker for me.

To be complete, I'm using a preshave routine which works for me. I can't imagine the products not changing the soap's performance at least to a degree. After all, that's why I use them.

Somehow I got the idea Canada Shaving Soap might have something in common with MdC. Other than the fact MdC is drying for me, I like it very much and used to love to see how little I could load and generate loads of lather. I've not tried to achieve the same with Canada Shaving Soap, but kinda doubt the soap can be that lightly loaded.

To me, CK-6 is not the most super fast loading soap, but it's on the other side of the dividing line from slow. I'd say Canada Shaving Soap is a bit slower to load than CK-6. It seems like a pretty hard soap but I didn't push on it with my thumb.

The lather seems to me to be just a little unusual in a good way. I'd say it feels luxurious whatever that means. It will hold enough water to suit me and I like hydration. I'm not sure it much matters how the lather feels as long as the shaves are good and nothing hurts me. So far, so good.

I like the Canada Shaving Soap, but it's not displaced CK-6. I like it enough to continue with Canada Shaving Soap.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My first four shaves with Canada Shaving Soap have been good.

View attachment 1455342

I'm considering removing maybe a third of the product from the tub.

More space in the tub makes sense to me. I'd use a larger tub if I were loading this amount of soap. I'm not asking here for less soap. The price doesn't seem outlandish considering the amount of soap and how long the container lasts (from what I've read).

Whether Canada Shaving Soap leaves me with dry skin may be determined later. For now, no dry skin. Dry skin is a deal breaker for me.

To be complete, I'm using a preshave routine which works for me. I can't imagine the products not changing the soap's performance at least to a degree. After all, that's why I use them.

Somehow I got the idea Canada Shaving Soap might have something in common with MdC. Other than the fact MdC is drying for me, I like it very much and used to love to see how little I could load and generate loads of lather. I've not tried to achieve the same with Canada Shaving Soap, but kinda doubt the soap can be that lightly loaded.

To me, CK-6 is not the most super fast loading soap, but it's on the other side of the dividing line from slow. I'd say Canada Shaving Soap is a bit slower to load than CK-6. It seems like a pretty hard soap but I didn't push on it with my thumb.

The lather seems to me to be just a little unusual in a good way. I'd say it feels luxurious whatever that means. It will hold enough water to suit me and I like hydration. I'm not sure it much matters how the lather feels as long as the shaves are good and nothing hurts me. So far, so good.

I like the Canada Shaving Soap, but it's not displaced CK-6. I like it enough to continue with Canada Shaving Soap.

Happy shaves,

Jim
A very detailed review, thank you, Jim. You have given us a lot of information to consider and to compare to our own use. Again, thank you!

Me being lazy here 😬😬 (not looking into it more myself), but does anyone know if the company sells sample sizes? Or anywhere else that stocks sample sizes of the Canada Shaving Soap? I did check Magards and it was a no go there.

Me being lazy here 😬😬 (not looking into it more myself), but does anyone know if the company sells sample sizes? Or anywhere else that stocks sample sizes of the Canada Shaving Soap? I did check Magards and it was a no go there.
Just buy a tub. That will save you from spending money on both a sample size and the inevitable purchase of a full tub that will come shortly afterwards. There is absolutely nothing to not like about Canada.

I would like to see if anyone who has sensitive skin issues has any issues with this soap. I'm hoping this one soap could turn out to be something you could recommend to ANYBODY and all skin types. I feel this soap could easily fit into my, "If I could only have one soap" list. I'm just amazed at how good this soap is with so few ingredients. I've only shaved with Canada twice. The first time was used in conjunction with some GD pre/post shave products. The second time I went solo with Canada to test its post shave skin conditioning. My post shave routine with some soaps includes me painting a thin mask of lather and let it set while I clean my gear. I then I go through my rinse routine where I end up leaving a thin film and let that dry on my face. After about half an hour my skin started feeling very smooth and plump. That sensation lasted for the rest of the afternoon. That's well within my "Good enough for me" requirements.

So the things I like about Canada soap
  • The shipping box, it's super sturdy and the exact size to protect the contents
  • The soap jar is top quality, simple but classy label
  • Top quality simple ingredients
  • Excellent post shave skin care
Even though I like my superfatted croaps the most, with an added post shave skincare product and Canada I'm just as satisfied with the way my skin feels.

Top Bottom