Canada Shaving Soap review

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wow, Cal, all time favorite.

5-21-22.SV-Brush.Canada.Sailor.640JPG.JPG

That's saying something.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Given that it contains Triethanolamine, I don’t think it’s in the same class as MdC and CSS.
Lots of products contain triethanolamine, including many shaving creams that perform well. I'm not sure that is a basis for dismissal. It's a very small percentage of the total ingredients, in any case.

Lots of products contain trietholomamine, including many shaving creams that perform well. I'm not sure that is a basis for dismissal. It's a very small percentage of the total, in any case.
For me it’s automatic dismissal because I have a sensitivity to it. :)

Sadly, that does eliminate more than half (or maybe even > 90%) the universe of “fine” shaving creams.

Last edited:
For me it’s automatic dismissal because I have a sensitivity to it. :)

Sadly, that does eliminate more than half (or maybe even > 90%) the universe of “fine” shaving creams.
I meant that the concentration is pretty low in that specific product. I'm sorry you have a sensitivity, but many people with sensitivities don't experience irritation, etc. unless the concentration is above a certain threshold.

I like products with short ingredient lists of pronounceable ingredients as much as anyone,

I just pulled the trigger on it at Amazon for US$ 32.44. I hope I won't regret.
Welcome to the club! I think you won't be disappointed, at this point there's Atleast a dozen B&B members who have this soap now and from what I recall, everyone has either said it was a good Soap all the way up to its one of their favourite soaps (the majority). And if you don't like, it will be a very very quick sell on BST

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to the club! I think you won't be disappointed, at this point there's Atleast a dozen B&B members who have this soap now and from what I recall, everyone has either said it was a good Soap all the way up to its one of their favourite soaps (the majority). And if you don't like, it will be a very very quick sell on BST
I love Canada Shaving Soap...... I'm using my Acca Kappa Barbershop for a while.... but the Canada Shaving Soap will always be at the top of my rotation....

I've been moving some of my Canada soap to another container just to make loading my brush more friendly to the user (me).

View attachment 1459421

The other container was purchased from Maggard I think years ago. It's the same size as the Canada container. I'm using a spoon handle to scrap the top of the Canada puck, loosen some flakes, and move them to the other container. Then the flakes are pressed down with my thumbs. The idea here is to lower the level of Canada soap in the original container to facilitate loading, and, mostly, to improve my enjoyment of the soap.

View attachment 1459423

Mostly this: Canada Shaving Soap is extremely hard and dense. You probably already knew this, and almost certainly did if you have and use Canada. How in the world did they get so much soap in the Canada Shaving Soap container?

So far it looks to me like Canada Shaving Soap may be a bargain like MdC might be. Canada Shaving Soap, like MdC is filled to the top. The container feels heavy filled to the brim. I'm glad to get a lot for my money but...

Why not use a taller container and give the shaver some loading space?

This is a problem I can fix with a spoon handle so all is well.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim, you do BOSC proud with your ingeniousness! Maybe Big Nurse will give you something extra as a reward! :letterk1:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am a bowl latherer...... you just scrape out a little Canada Shaving Soap into a bowl.... add a touch of water... and walla.... beautiful lather..... and I keep the bowl warm on a coffee cup warmer for the subsequent passes.... so nice.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
LOL, I just don't understand why anyone has any problems loading from the container. It's one of the widest containers out there. And I find that I don't need too many laps of that container with my brush to create more than enough lather.
The only issue is... the container is full.. and I do mean full... personally, I don't like the mess loading from a container would make... but what do I know? I've only bowl lathered. Maybe when you load the brush and face lather, it doesn't make a mess... like I said, I have a very limited paradigm.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't mind the filled to the brim container, it was an issue at first as others have mentioned, but then you realize you only need like 6-10 Brush swirls so it's not as bad but everyone has their preference 😊
I was impressed, not upset, with how much product they put in the container.... and you don't need much to get a great lather. It will last quite a while. I used it for the last month or so... just some scrapes around the outside of the container. I haven't touched the top yet... a small trench around the edge.

I was impressed, not upset, with how much product they put in the container.... and you don't need much to get a great lather. It will last quite a while. I used it for the last month or so... just some scrapes around the outside of the container. I haven't touched the top yet... a small trench around the edge.
Impressed, me too. The level of my soap is actually convex. If I turned it upside down I can spin it like a top. I think I've used it three times and it's still like that, maybe a bit less so.

Top Bottom