What's new

Can This beautiful razor be repaired! (Please say yes.

So here's a pic of my beloved British Gillette Aristicrat 22 that has committed suicide. As you can see...it is in immaculate condition and was my main razor for about three months. A few days ago I was opening it to replace the blade, and when I looked down the center bar had pushed one of the doors cockeyed. The mechanism is one of the smoothest I've ever seen and my jaw hit the ground. I put it away....distraught.....and thought I'd be able to find out what was up. The next time I tried to open one of the doors came halfway off and then came all of the way off while I was trying to reset it. I have no idea what's going on. I was able to get the door back on....but now when I twist the handle the entire head seems to move up and down and the doors do not open.

I am mortified.

I have no idea what to do. Can this be repaired? Is there a hobbyist or someone who specializes in something like this? Is there some other stupid answer to this problem that I'm not considering?

Any guidance or help would be welcome. This is my dream razor and I'm ready to shoot myself.

(I'd take a pic of the door ajar if I could even get it to do that right now. I could try and dismantle it for demonstration purposes but don't want to do any additional damage.)

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Is the knob still in place? The gap on the handle is the same size it was before?
Something similar happened to me, with a Rocket HD. A pic could help ... If it is the same thing, it is easily fixable.
I understand you perfectly ... love my #66/22.

Sorry...my iPad is notoriously finicky with pics for some reason.

the gap and knob seem fine and everything seems to move smoothly...I'd have to kinda dismantle the head to show what it looked like the other day.....leery to do it.

But 'open' or 'closed' no movement now on the doors.

of course even looking at the pic right now the center bar....or the doors...seem slanted.

Last edited:
If this can't be fixed his SWMBO is desperately seeking a way to replace it....if anyone has any leads? I don't have a ton of $ or much to trade but he was so devastated and heart broken I'd give anything to fix it. He's helped me so much through my illness. Thanks!!
cheers gents
View attachment 447840

Sorry...my iPad is notoriously finicky with pics for some reason.

the gap and knob seem fine and everything seems to move smoothly...I'd have to kinda dismantle the head to show what it looked like the other day.....leery to do it.

But 'open' or 'closed' no movement now on the doors.

of course even looking at the pic right now the center bar....or the doors...seem slanted.

Then I don't think it's the same that happened to my Rocket. Sorry for not being able to help you, but probably someone else will.
Good luck, hope you manage to fix it!

Last edited:
$DSCF6869.jpg

This is a #58, but the mechanism is the same as my Rocket, and even though I never disassembled a British Aristocrat, I am almost sure it's the same thing.
Hope this will give you an idea of how it works.

The knob goes first into the barrel, IIRC it screws counterclockwise. Then you put the center bar with doors attached and everything in place, and you have to hold the handle/knob in place while you turn the whole head and base plate together.
It was quite some time ago that I fixed my Rocket, and I am no expert by any means, but I hope this helps you.

As you guys are aware, I'm beginning a new job in June, so have put restoration work on hold.

But, Tyrionstark, if you are OK to pay postage to/from UK and are prepared to be patient, I'll be more than happy to have a look for you.

Just last week, I repaired an Aristocrat Junior that was in three parts.

The usual issue is that the top of the handle (that is supposed to be firmly fixed to the baseplate) spins and winds out the shaft, so everything gets in a fix.

Crimping the handle back into place once the mechanism is adjusted usually cures the problem.

Hope this helps

Best Wishes

Dave

Last edited:
As you guys are aware, I'm beginning a new job in June, so have put restoration work on hold.

But, Tyrionstark, if you are OK to pay postage to/from UK and are prepared to be patient, I'll be more than happy to have a look for you.

Hope this helps

Best Wishes

Dave

And Dave saves the day once again! :thumbup1:
Hope you're doing well.

Just last week, I repaired an Aristocrat Junior that was in three parts.

The usual issue is that the top of the handle (that is supposed to be firmly fixed to the baseplate) spins and winds out the shaft, so everything gets in a fix.

Crimping the handle back into place once the mechanism is adjusted usually cures the problem.

Hope this helps

Best Wishes

Dave
And that's why I love this place. Shaving is just shaving, but the people here are the best.

Ontoman....holy moly! Thank you so much! I can't tell you how thrilled I am to find that my beloved razor could be saved. This community keeps flooring me again and again. Seriously....I am so grateful, stunned and amazed.

Nuclearblast - thank you for the detailed breakdown. From your description I may have done something wrong in putting things back together and would have it in pieces right now if it weren't for Ontoman coming to the rescue. I really appreciate your time and effort more than I can say.

This place is so awesome.

Top Bottom