What's new

Can shave with a shavette but not a real straight

I’ve been shaving with a Feather Artisan SS for a while, and I get excellent shaves. But when I try with a real cutthroat (a Dovo 5/8”, honed professionally) nothing happens. I mean nothing; I don’t cut any hair at all. I don’t reduce growth volume even a little on a WTG pass. I don’t cut any hair at all on a XTG or a ATG pass. I’ve tried flattening my angle, increasing my angle, sharpening on a 4000/8000 grit stone, and even shaving my arm hair to be sure it’s actually cutting (and it is, as my now bare forearms will attest). What on Earth could be going on here? I’m stumped, and frustrated.

I have no experience with a shavette, but from what others have said I understand the technique to be very similar, though not identical. So if a shavette shaves and a traditional straight doesn't, I would assume it's the razor.

I could never shave off an 8k edge. Arm hair, yes, but not facial hair. Everyone said I should be able to, but it wasn't until I added the 12k stone that I could actually shave with the edges I produced.

Perhaps you are in a similar situation? Just guessing...

The primary difference is going to be edge quality. The replaceable blades used in shavettes are sharper than roughly 95% of the edges people shave with on their straights. It is entirely possible to hone and polish a straight's edge to an even sharper degree, but 8000 grit stones won't do that job. Check the "Newbie Honing Compendium" in the honing subforum - the instructions in that thread (films then pasted balsa strops) have come to be known as "The Method". This is probably the easiest, most beginner friendly way for a completely new hand to produce really sharp edges on a pretty tight budget. The whole setup of equipment can be had for less than the cost of even one decent finishing stone.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of other very worthwhile ways to hone a razor, but "The Method" is probably the shortest path for a new hand to produce sharp shaving edges.

I had read all kinds of advice to the effect of “learn to shave and THEN learn to sharpen.” That seems misguided if, in fact, the problem is my blade isn’t sharp enough. I looked at some of the posts re: The Method and it seems like a good place to start, although it’s not clear to me how the lapping film is supposed to adhere to a marble slab while I’m dragging a blade across it. God knows I can’t afford to ship my razor out to a “honemeister” every other week, that’s for sure.

The lapping film has a smooth plastic backing. The marble is also quite smooth. You spritz a bit of water on the marble, then lay the film down on that. You will immediately see some air bubbles through the film. You use your fingers to push those bubbles and excess water out the edges, and then the film sticks to the marble quite well with just the itty bit of water film between the plastic and marble. Also works with a tempered glass plate instead of marble.

That sticktion is stronger than it might seem, and does a good job of keeping the film stationary to its backing.

The lapping film has a smooth plastic backing. The marble is also quite smooth. You spritz a bit of water on the marble, then lay the film down on that. You will immediately see some air bubbles through the film. You use your fingers to push those bubbles and excess water out the edges, and then the film sticks to the marble quite well with just the itty bit of water film between the plastic and marble. Also works with a tempered glass plate instead of marble.

That sticktion is stronger than it might seem, and does a good job of keeping the film stationary to its backing.

Thank you!

I had read all kinds of advice to the effect of “learn to shave and THEN learn to sharpen.” That seems misguided if, in fact, the problem is my blade isn’t sharp enough. I looked at some of the posts re: The Method and it seems like a good place to start, although it’s not clear to me how the lapping film is supposed to adhere to a marble slab while I’m dragging a blade across it. God knows I can’t afford to ship my razor out to a “honemeister” every other week, that’s for sure.

I've never read that advice. I started with a Feather folding SS and then progressed to a SR. A mentor here advised me on using films which was successful on first attempt. The video I posted demonstrates how to use films.

I would be happy to hone your straight while you decide what method you want to try to maintain the edge. It would only cost you the price to ship it to me. I'm not a pro. I've hone over a hundred of my own straights and shave with them. If you want just pm me.

The primary difference is going to be edge quality. The replaceable blades used in shavettes are sharper than roughly 95% of the edges people shave with on their straights. It is entirely possible to hone and polish a straight's edge to an even sharper degree, but 8000 grit stones won't do that job. Check the "Newbie Honing Compendium" in the honing subforum - the instructions in that thread (films then pasted balsa strops) have come to be known as "The Method"...

I wanted to chime in on this as I'm in a similar position to the OP, just venturing into straights and honing despite being happy with my Feather AC SS. I guess it's just an acquisition disorder or something... Anyway I used 'The Method' minus the pasted balsa to hone a good but dull Japanese razor I bought from ebay. After going through one progression it was imperfect, but did shave (both arm hair and head hair). I haven't used it much as I found the edge was inconsistent over its length and I had trashed the sample pack of film I'd bought, but it shaved comfortably enough. OP I would bet that your edge is simply not sharp enough.

Luke

I would be happy to hone your straight while you decide what method you want to try to maintain the edge. It would only cost you the price to ship it to me. I'm not a pro. I've hone over a hundred of my own straights and shave with them. If you want just pm me.

Wow, that’s kind of you!

I've never read that advice. I started with a Feather folding SS and then progressed to a SR. A mentor here advised me on using films which was successful on first attempt. The video I posted demonstrates how to use films.

Perhaps a dumb question, but where can I find that video?

Ive used both shavettes and traditional straights and Id say its much harder to get a great shave with a traditional because shavettes are so much sharper and the edge is more consistent.
IMO, the Artist Club spoils you even more because the blades are so good and the SS is such a well-designed razor. I love my Feather SS Kami.

When I barber lined up my beard for the first time it seemed like he was keeping the blade as flat as possible. I've heard that the two are different animals and require a change in technique.
I've used straights, but haven't tried any shavettes yet. Not for lack of wanting to though. Part of the fun of the hobby is trying different things. There seems to be quite a few blade mounting systems too.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ive used both shavettes and traditional straights and Id say its much harder to get a great shave with a traditional because shavettes are so much sharper and the edge is more consistent.
IMO, the Artist Club spoils you even more because the blades are so good and the SS is such a well-designed razor. I love my Feather SS Kami.
A property hones straight will be quite sharp enough and will shave as closely as a shavette. Also, the edge will be consistent across the blade. Also, nicks are much more prevalent with a shavette. All in all,
I consider the straight razor superior and easier to use than a shavette that uses the half DE blade.

A property hones straight will be quite sharp enough and will shave as closely as a shavette. Also, the edge will be consistent across the blade. Also, nicks are much more prevalent with a shavette. All in all,
I consider the straight razor superior and easier to use than a shavette that uses the half DE blade.
I'm talking more the Feather Artist razors. I'd challenge anyone to come up with a honing that is as sharp or last as long as AC blades do. For me, an AC razor is smooth and close, whereas a traditional is a bit tuggy, even when honed by someone who seems to know what they're doing with honing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom