What's new

Can shave with a shavette but not a real straight

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm talking more the Feather Artist razors. I'd challenge anyone to come up with a honing that is as sharp or last as long as AC blades do. For me, an AC razor is smooth and close, whereas a traditional is a bit tuggy, even when honed by someone who seems to know what they're doing with honing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I pointed out shavettes that use 1/2 DE blades. AC is much the same as a regular straight. A properly honed straight should not feel “tuggey” though.

Maybe those honers were as skilled as they seemed. Lol. I dont love shavettes that use DE blades. I find them too thin and flexible and the square corners make it easy to nick yourself. I seldom nick myself with my AC and when I do, its always because of too much pressure or too steep of angle. I had to teach myself that its shaving, not scraping.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Question: if you have a new blade that’s been sent to you “shave ready” but which you find not quite sharp enough, is it necessary to set the bevel and go through the entire progression or has some of this already been done, such that you can simply refine on the 1 and 0.3 micron film?

I've re-honed every razor I've bought. The two sellers I use tape everything and their shave ready turned out not to suit my beard. I only use tape on the one wedge I have. If I leave them with a taped bevel, I have to use tape every time I touch up on a stone or film. My only exception is with a rare bird that JR restored. I tape it always.

Also, by setting the bevel yourself, you can rest assured it was done properly to your particular needs. If you are like me, there will be a satisfaction and a brotherhood with the blade that is derived from finding an old blade and making it your own.

I have good experience with SRs and shavettes. I recommend the flattest possible angle with the shavette, and a little bit of lift with the SR. Some recommend an angle of thirty degrees for the first pass with a SR, but I feel that is too high.

Experiment with technique first, then try a different SR honed by a competent hone meister. A good quality SR makes a big difference over a cheapie in my experience.

Top Bottom