What's new

Can Only?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’m surprised @Razorcan hasn’t chimed in yet. As the name suggests, he exclusively uses both. I can say personally i’ve got no quarrels with the can. I used Barbasol Aloe exclusively for over a decade and the Proraso can is a nice shave as well. I simply enjoy the brush and soap and perhaps its minimally better performance. But i do break out the can now and again for variety.
Yeah, I wondered where he was to. How dare he leave us hangin'!!!

The secret to using canned foam is this: use some bar soap as a "pre shave" and put the foam directly over it. Gives me as good a shave as anything else I've tried.
My canned foam shaves got a stellar upgrade out of pre-shave oils, as well.

On pass 1, I suspect the foam was just acting as a "progress marker", and the real cutting action was taking place in the tiny dimension of the oil film.

Now I have discovered MWF, I'm losing my interest in pre-shave oils...

I use shave foam once in awhile. They work. Is it a luxurious experience that awakens the senses and fills the shaver with a state of suspended bliss, while musing on the various scent notes in the lather? No, but it gets the job done when a quick shave is needed.

I have to admit I was perplexed by the title. I read the word "can" as it is used in a sentence such as "Can you imagine?"

So when I read "can only" my first thought was "can only what?" lol

I never used canned stuff, so I'm not your target audience. About a week ago, when i was in a hurry, I used some cream that is intended to be lathered, but instead I just applied it to my face and worked it in as if I were using canned lather. It worked pretty well. It was, if anything, slicker that way. I know that some people use creams without a brush fairly frequently, and I am sure there are guys who use canned lather fairly frequently. I don't know if anybody on this site uses it EXCLUSIVELY, which I think is what you are asking.

You’ve never used canned shaving cream?! How is that even possible?

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I am not exclusively can, but I am predominantly can. I've got brushes and creams and soaps that I use when I want to pamper myself, but the can is so quick and convenient that I go to it most of the time. Barbasol is my go-to, but I've used various other foams and gels with no problem. Right now I'm sporting my winter beard, so whipping up a lather isn't worth it for the small amount of shaving I do. Not worth the time or the wasted lather. In a couple of weeks, once most of the beard is gone, it becomes a time issue. Not that I don't have the time, just that I'd rather spend my free time reading and smoking my pipe rather than shaving. Sometimes I smoke my pipe while shaving. I usually break out a brush for that.

FarmerTan

I am not exclusively can, but I am predominantly can. I've got brushes and creams and soaps that I use when I want to pamper myself, but the can is so quick and convenient that I go to it most of the time. Barbasol is my go-to, but I've used various other foams and gels with no problem. Right now I'm sporting my winter beard, so whipping up a lather isn't worth it for the small amount of shaving I do. Not worth the time or the wasted lather. In a couple of weeks, once most of the beard is gone, it becomes a time issue. Not that I don't have the time, just that I'd rather spend my free time reading and smoking my pipe rather than shaving. Sometimes I smoke my pipe while shaving. I usually break out a brush for that.
I miss my pipes. I miss my dad, which pipe smoke reminds me of. I used to smoke (spelling?) Borkum Riff Whiskey or Bourbon or something? Just loved the taste of that stuff.

Kilroy6644

I miss my pipes. I miss my dad, which pipe smoke reminds me of. I used to smoke (spelling?) Borkum Riff Whiskey or Bourbon or something? Just loved the taste of that stuff.
I bought a pouch of that when I first started. We didn't get along, and I haven't had it since. I've been thinking about trying it again.

FarmerTan

I bought a pouch of that when I first started. We didn't get along, and I haven't had it since. I've been thinking about trying it again.
There was (still is actually) a pipe store downtown Flint "Paul's Pipe Shop and Pipe Hospital" where I used to go in a sniff around. Bought a pipe he made. I used to cut his hair on the sidewalk on Saginaw Street, the owner. He died not too long ago, at over a 100! So much for tobacco being bad for you; I think he smoked in his sleep! I went to the Beauty Skool that was right nextdoor to his place. Now his son's run it. Anyway......

He used to mix up his own blends, and he made a knock off of it, or not, either way, his was better than the "Real Deal" Riff, by a LOOOOOOONG ways. He'd give me samples. I was like 16 years old. He was from Italy originally. I doubt they have an "online store" but his store was wall to wall pipes. I'd go in his basement and watch him mix up blends. His "cherry" was out of this world. All his stuff was better from drying out a little, at first. But oh! The aromas! I need to go back in there, and tell his son's what he meant to me. He was all gruff acting, but a heart of gold. Last time I was in there his "boys" were there, chatting up the customers. Same gruffness without the accent! Man, that was over 40 years ago! Time flies when you're getting old!

FarmerTan

There was (still is actually) a pipe store downtown Flint "Paul's Pipe Shop and Pipe Hospital" where I used to go in a sniff around. Bought a pipe he made. I used to cut his hair on the sidewalk on Saginaw Street, the owner. He died not too long ago, at over a 100! So much for tobacco being bad for you; I think he smoked in his sleep! I went to the Beauty Skool that was right nextdoor to his place. Now his son's run it. Anyway......

He used to mix up his own blends, and he made a knock off of it, or not, either way, his was better than the "Real Deal" Riff, by a LOOOOOOONG ways. He'd give me samples. I was like 16 years old. He was from Italy originally. I doubt they have an "online store" but his store was wall to wall pipes. I'd go in his basement and watch him mix up blends. His "cherry" was out of this world. All his stuff was better from drying out a little, at first. But oh! The aromas! I need to go back in there, and tell his son's what he meant to me. He was all gruff acting, but a heart of gold. Last time I was in there his "boys" were there, chatting up the customers. Same gruffness without the accent! Man, that was over 40 years ago! Time flies when you're getting old!
Lol, his son's didn't age as well as he did. They are both well into their 70's maybe the oldest is past 80? But old Paul had white, white hair. Barely a wrinkle, had to be in his 70's when I cut his hair. And not yellow at all from the pipe smoke.

Kilroy6644

I'd love to go there. I hardly ever went to Flint when I lived in Saginaw. Now that I'm a Yooper, who knows when I'll be able to make it?

FarmerTan

I'd love to go there. I hardly ever went to Flint when I lived in Saginaw. Now that I'm a Yooper, who knows when I'll be able to make it?
Since I've taken this thread so far afield I might as well say: I did look up his shop. It's got a much better website than before. He died in 2013, just a few months after his 100th birthday. The site has some links to several stories about him. I smoked in one of his contests. I took 12th place. 59 or 56 minutes or something. I think I still have my "paper trophy" bookmark or whatever I won. My signature is in the same book that Charles Stewart Mott signed when he competed! I'll have to find that thing and post a picture in the Brown Leaf!

Aerosol shaving cream is fine...for those who know nothing better.
I never sought them out, unless they were paired with a cologne/after-shave in a gift set, such as Aramis, Irisch Moos, Polo, Brut.
Once upon a time I had one of those "hot lather" machines.
I was pleased with the results, but the cans were dear and it tuned out to be more trouble than it was worth.
I see no reason to return to cans, when brushless cream is just as fast, and superior...if haste is ever a factor.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used cans for over 35 years. No issues and always applied the canned product with a brush. Recently I used a can of Aldi Prince Shaving Gel for three weeks and there is still some shaves left in the can. I have no problem with canned creams and gels and but I do prefer the Nivea Range of canned products.

Hello gents! Sometimes I use canned foam for my shaves.... I do it for variety. It’s convenient and quick, no brush to have to deal with. However who here uses a DE razor and shaves ONLY with canned products? I know there are more than a few of you and I’m curious to hear your thoughts about it. Also what brand of foam is your favorite?
View attachment 1231058
You can also buy it in tubes like toothpaste which in my opinion is more economic since once the can is empty or the nozzle becomes faulty, there will still be a lot of product left in the can. -See the Youtube Hacks

These take me back: Borkum Riff, Yoopers, Canned Shaving Cream (I'll tie this all together, I promise): My Grandfather smoked Borkum Riff and the smell of it brings me back to being eight years old and working in the woods with him--Yoopers and Canned Shaving Cream: while stationed in the UP (miss grabbing a beer at the Portside Inn for Breadsticks and Garlic Spread), we used to buy can upon can of Colgate from the BX and use them to initiate new B-52 crewmembers sitting their first Nuclear Alert tour by simulating a B-52 cartridge start (think big shotgun shell to turn the engines over without an external air cart)--a "Cart Start initiation" normally consisted of shoving one or more cans into the FNG's flight suit and popping them open with a can opener and re-zipping the suit--you'd be amazed how much foam one can provides...

As for canned shaving cream, it works, so I'm indifferent, and I'll use it when travelling, but prefer my soaps and brushes.

Top Bottom