What's new

Can Only?

I can get a nice shave from the foam can. The secret is to fully massage the beard with foam, and let it stay on the face more than 2 minutes before shaving.
I bought a can of Barbasol a few years ago and it was the worst. Gillette is better than Barbasol, and Nivea is better than Gillette. Shick hydro shave gel may be the best canned product IMO.

I don't know about "here" but the VAST majority of men shaved this way from the mid 50s till the late 70s when disposables and carts became the norm.

Btw I have been DE shaving since 1980 always with a can of shaving foam.
Works just fine for my daily give minute four pass shave.
Yes, it does work fine. When I periodically use the can I actually enjoy it. It rinses off quicker than a brush soap or cream. That’s a bonus.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
These take me back: Borkum Riff, Yoopers, Canned Shaving Cream (I'll tie this all together, I promise): My Grandfather smoked Borkum Riff and the smell of it brings me back to being eight years old and working in the woods with him--Yoopers and Canned Shaving Cream: while stationed in the UP (miss grabbing a beer at the Portside Inn for Breadsticks and Garlic Spread), we used to buy can upon can of Colgate from the BX and use them to initiate new B-52 crewmembers sitting their first Nuclear Alert tour by simulating a B-52 cartridge start (think big shotgun shell to turn the engines over without an external air cart)--a "Cart Start initiation" normally consisted of shoving one or more cans into the FNG's flight suit and popping them open with a can opener and re-zipping the suit--you'd be amazed how much foam one can provides...

As for canned shaving cream, it works, so I'm indifferent, and I'll use it when travelling, but prefer my soaps and brushes.
You are my hero!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I have a can of Gillette Foam Mousse that I picked up on a whim last year. I need to find it and give it another go.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a can of Gillette Foam Mousse that I picked up on a whim last year. I need to find it and give it another go.
I'm not kidding now: if you want a great shave do this: before applying the foam, put a thin layer of whatever bar soap ya gots laying around. Then the foam directly on top of that.

Once again, in your quiet, reflective times, you will think to yerself, "Man, that tanned farmer really IS a genius..."

a thin layer of whatever bar soap ya gots laying around. Then the foam directly on top of that
I'd expect any very slick preshave to enhance the foam experience, at least on pass 1.

The canned gel products can perform very well, IMO: it is possible to squirt the blue Gillette gel into a bowl, add water, lather it up with a brush, and have a pretty decent shave.

The recommended mode of use isn't to use a brush and a bowl, though, and I found it a lot tougher to dab it on by hand, and still get a good shave. The default wasn't hydrated enough.

PS, Borkum Riff takes me back. I remember buying that when I was under-age, and smoking it in my secret den in the Scottish woods. My favourite of the day was Condor Twist.

Last edited:
The biggest issue I had with either foams or gels is that it didn’t seem like I got a good, even application like I do with a brush—it never occurred to me to use a brush with gel... I might have to give it a go

The biggest issue I had with either foams or gels is that it didn’t seem like I got a good, even application like I do with a brush—it never occurred to me to use a brush with gel... I might have to give it a go
Canned gels build a decent lather with a brush. I've found it impossible to lather tube gels like erasmic and King of shaves with a brush

When I first decided to give DE shaving a try after 30+ years of electric shaving only, I wanted to have as little monetary risk as possible. This meant the Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic, with 5 blades included) and my wife's leg shaving cream.

After 3-5 shaves I really caught the vision of DE technique enjoying the process quite a bit and decided to up the stakes ordering an Omega Boar brush and Proraso Red. Once the brush and soap were in my hands I didn't use the canned stuff again (except for when my wife gifted me a can of Bath & Body Works for Christmas and used it up as quick as I could) nor do I plan to. Canned foam detracts from the DE experience.

Since I started DE shaving I have never done a 'quick shave' for the sake of saving time. For me, DE shaving is all about the the entire spa-like experience, taking my time, relaxing. It's a single manly activity that invites me to realign over a period of time and I look forward to it each and every time.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I had an old can of shaving cream and saw online liquidation ppace there was a lather warmer and it was cheap, a Conair one for $10? You pop the top press button and shove the nozzle into it... it was.. nice when it worked? It warms lather for sure, but it also leaked out the front when not in use (I guess the seal wasn't strong enough to keel the pressurized can from spewing) and it's fussy to install a new can (if you miss, or don't clamp the nozzle right on, it'll leak a little, then everything gets slippery.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Last time I had a can of foam in the cupboard my wife used it to shave her legs. Fair play to her I say.

Before I made the switch I used Gillette gel

I never really liked it and that artifical smell was worse than Arko (ye I am one of those)

Once I tried soap and brush I swore never to pick up canned goo again

I shave with a Braun Series 3 ProSkin. I've tried a lot of shave foams, and I think the best by far is Gillette Foamy in the small red travel-size can. No idea why, but it's way better than Foamy in the regular-size red can. Nivea Sensitive Foam isn't bad either. Last year tried Proraso in the white can and was very disappointed.

I bought a can of Proraso Red Shaving Cream. I use it occasionally. It works fine. I add a few drops of water to the dollop of cream and find it makes it slicker.

When I first switched from cartridges to DE razors, I continued to use canned gel for a few months, and I still had a better result than with cartridges. Switching to hard shaving soap and a brush produced even better results.

I'm not kidding now: if you want a great shave do this: before applying the foam, put a thin layer of whatever bar soap ya gots laying around. Then the foam directly on top of that.

Once again, in your quiet, reflective times, you will think to yerself, "Man, that tanned farmer really IS a genius..."
I've mixed TOBS Peppermint cream with Barbasol in my scuttle, whipped it up with my badger brush, and shaved. Good result.

July is going to be a busy month, so I’ve decided to dedicate the next few weeks to quick can only shaves...
9165E2C7-72C3-4C67-AAE5-AFB8AE26EC94.jpeg
This stuff is actually quite slick and works really well! 💈🖖🏼💈

Like most people here, I don't use canned foam/gel on a regular basis. But I do keep a can of Proraso Red/Green around if I am in a hurry and need a super quick shave with a cartridge. This allows me to get a pretty decent shave in about 60 seconds. I find that most foams and gels are alright (gels can be used for bowl lathering with a brush actually), but they are quite dry and the trick is to apply them on a very wet face and it doesn't hurt to run a dripping wet hand over a foam once or twice afterwards. Really makes a difference.

Top Bottom