What's new

Can old shaving pucks be effective shower soaps?

While I wouldn't shave with bath soap (I did have to shave with Miracle Whip once--don't ask:001_rolle), I wonder if old half-depleted hard shaving soaps would effectively clean you in the shower. I have a couple that I liked the scent of back in the day but moved on to better things. I'm sure some of you have done it, but is shaving soap as chemically effective for cleaning as a designed bath soap such as Dove or Dial?

Yes, usually they will work as shower soap. There's a bit less cleaning ability, meaning not so much of the skin oils are removed. There's usually more moisturizing ingredients. Shaving soaps will generally wear away faster since they have more potassium salts. Try not to leave them wet, they might melt away on you.

Just why? I wouldn't do it but I also toss little bits of soap when they're about through. I'm a notorious tightwad but not that tight. And if you didn't like for shaving and moved on to something else, just throw it away. Whatever you do, don't take bathing advice with shave soap from a shaving forum.

Yes. This is how I make use of soaps I can't sell. Some work better than others but I take like three very short showers a day so I don't need a super soap in my shower, just something to freshen up with. They're great right before bed!

Okay, bottom line. Can I rely on it to remove the bacteria under my arms and groin area---the stuff that causes odor.
Yes, of course. For best results, use a washcloth or a bathing brush with the soap, that will scrub the skin clean. The soap just makes it clean better.

Saw a comment once about rounding up the scraps of shaving soap and microwaving them into one piece, then using that as shower soap. Interesting idea.

It will work but depending on the scent, it may not be the best for your pick up game. Smelling like a puck of ToBS sandalwood will get you some strange looks about town or on the bus.

While I wouldn't shave with bath soap (I did have to shave with Miracle Whip once--don't ask:001_rolle), I wonder if old half-depleted hard shaving soaps would effectively clean you in the shower. I have a couple that I liked the scent of back in the day but moved on to better things. I'm sure some of you have done it, but is shaving soap as chemically effective for cleaning as a designed bath soap such as Dove or Dial?

Use them as pre shave bars.
Couple of swipes on the beard, lather with hands and then rinse off prior to applying shaving lather.

I actually use only shaving soaps for pre-shave rinse as other soaps dry my skin too much.

Did you lose a bet? :lol:
No, no, but that would have been a great excuse. I'll divulge that it involved youth, hormones, a woman, alcohol, rapidly fleeting opportunity and determined resourcefulness. You know---the usual suspects. That was over forty years ago. I can still claim it as a great day.:001_cool:

Sure they work as bath soaps and will get you clean. They work as face soaps too. Be wary of slickness as shower floors can get extra slippery.

Plenty of bad shaving soaps have been demoted to shower duty because they didn't lather well enough for shaving.

Yes, years ago I used Williams as a shower soap. It said on the box that it made a great bath soap so I tried one puck in the shower. Worked fine but I much prefer my Irish Spring and Old Spice. I have some Yardly on deck too.

Top Bottom