What's new

Can I use only a DMT 8EE and pasted strop?

I'm trying to make sure I'm understanding all the info I've read here. I know the Norton 4k/8k is recommended most it seems but people talk about the DMT 8EE cutting faster and better and can also be used for lapping a Norton so can't I just buy the DMT 8EE and be done with it? I'm trying to get just the basic option first and may add to things later but for now I'm wondering if a DMT 8EE and 4 sided pasted strop will be fine to get me going and can skip the Norton 4k/8k altogether?

This is assuming a decent razor that won't need must restoration work where a coarser grit would also be needed.
Thanks

Ben:
For your information I'm attaching a chart of the different DMT stones and their grit size. I'm not sure which one is the best DMT for lapping a Norton 4/8K, perhaps the DMT-C.

I personally use the DMT-8E to establish a bevel and a yellow coticule for finishing, but I'm in the learning stage.

Good luck

DMT Grit Chart

Thanks for the info. I'm really looking for an answer on whether the DMT 8EE can be my only honing stone and then just followed by paste on a strop to keep the budget low. I'm hoping to avoid multiple stones and finish stones but I'm not sure if that is doable.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
It might work. It would just require a LOT of stropping to get it smooth.

You can make a four-sided paddle strop with a little glue, $15 piece of leather, and a $1 block of hardwood from Woodcraft. Little tubes of different grits on 3 sides of the paddle strop and you'll be in good shape to transition from the DMT to the smooth leather strop.

I'm trying to make sure I'm understanding all the info I've read here. I know the Norton 4k/8k is recommended most it seems but people talk about the DMT 8EE cutting faster and better and can also be used for lapping a Norton so can't I just buy the DMT 8EE and be done with it? I'm trying to get just the basic option first and may add to things later but for now I'm wondering if a DMT 8EE and 4 sided pasted strop will be fine to get me going and can skip the Norton 4k/8k altogether?

This is assuming a decent razor that won't need must restoration work where a coarser grit would also be needed.
Thanks

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!

I use a DMT 8EE, which is 3 a micron plate, and a 4 sided strop with 3.0,1.0,0.5,0.25 pastes. You don't have to lap the DMT. It is a fantastic way to hone and care for a razor. It is quick and easy. I like coming off 0.25 micron paste some people don't. Some guys also just use a single paste and that is Chromium 0.5 micron and swear by the results, it is suppose to give a nicer, smoother shave.

Later,
Richard

Thanks Richard, just the information I was looking for. I'm going to pick up a DMT 8EE unless someone has any reason why I should pick the Norton 4k/8k over this first.

Ben,

If you're on a budget I would suggest you only get yourself a DMT EE and some chromium dioxide. If you want to get a 4 sided pasted strop that's up to you. But I would definitely recommend you get some cro-ox. It puts an incredible final edge. You can buy some cheap balsa wood for use with the cro-ox or use one of the strop sides.

Unfortunately for lapping a Norton or any other stone you will need to get yourself a DMT-C.

The DMT EE is excellent for refreshing a partially reviving a used edge but if you ever need to set a completely new bevel, again, you will need to get a lower grit stone.

So if you're looking mostly at only refreshing or honing blades that don't need a new bevel or are damaged you'll be fine with the DMT EE.

Thanks Max, I appreciate the help. I did go ahead and order the DMT 8EE today so I'm excited about that. I have a Straight I purchased from an antiques store that has an ok edge on it now but only barely sharp (cuts paper, not hair) so I think I'll be able to hone it up ok. I don't know if the bevel is set right or not yet so I guess I'll only know once I start honing and do something like applying sharpie to the edge etc. I've read a lot about honing and have watched the 9 part video series posted here so I'm looking to get some practice setting a bevel and getting a razor to ready-to-shave sharp and then can look into widening my arsenal a bit.

Your advice on just the Chromium Dioxide for now without the 4 sided strop, would that mean I'd need two strops, one for the paste and a plain leather one for daily stroping? I'm not so much on a budget as I am trying to just get entry level stuff for now to keep the wife happy:lol: My next decision is the Tony Miller Apprentice strop or the 4 sided paddle combo strop he offers with 3 pasting sides and 1 regular for daily stropping. I want a decent set up without spending too much but don't want to go so cheap that I'll end up wanting to replace the things I buy soon with better versions if that makes any sense. Thanks again.

+1 on the balsa paddle. Use just a little Chromium. You might have to do a lot of laps because you are going from 3 micron to 0.5 but it will work very well till you get you "Straight" legs. Another thing, do not be fooled by the 8EE it will set a bevel very quickly on a fully hollow ground. I usually did not go over 15 laps to get a pretty good bevel, diamond cuts very quickly.

Later,
Richard

Thanks

Short answer is "yes." Longer answer is that you will never be satisfied.

Short answer is "yes." Longer answer is that you will never be satisfied.

That may be true but the first thing to accomplish is to get some good shaving under ones belt. I have been happy with the 4 paddle strop and a 8EE for about 7 months. They turn out some absolutely wickedly sharp razors with minimual effort.

Later,
Richard

Thanks for the info. I'm really looking for an answer on whether the DMT 8EE can be my only honing stone and then just followed by paste on a strop to keep the budget low. I'm hoping to avoid multiple stones and finish stones but I'm not sure if that is doable.

That's a big 10-4, good buddy.

Although I have three Dia-Sharp DMT8 hones (F,E, and EE), I use the first two solely for bevel-setting with ebaY "specials". You, OTOH, are far-wiser than me, and will only buy from B&B and SRP folks.

With that in mind, buy the DMT-8EE, and a two-sided pasted strop (the 3"-wide model) from TM. Use 1µ diamond paste on one side, and 0.5µ CrO[sub]2[/sub] on the other side.

The DMT-8EE gives you the cutting power of a 4K stone, with the polishing power of an 8K stone; the 1µ diamond paste is the equivalent of a 12K finishing stone, and the 0.5µ CrO[sub]2[/sub] is the equivalent of a 30K finishing stone -- the latter two stones would cost a couple of hundred dollars, while the pasted TM paddle strop runs about ¼ the price.

It's what I do (although I made my own pasted felt hanging strop, which gives me a longer stroke to-and-fro, but a TM 8"x3" pasted strop will do just fine). After using the DMT-8EE, I have yet to use anything but the pasted strop for "regular maintenance" (and then, only the 0.5µ CrO[sub]2[/sub] side).

Smooth shaving!

Wow, a lot of thread activity while I quickly ran out to Home Depot for my Balsa Strop materials:biggrin: Thanks everyone for all the help. Here's what I've decided on:
I ordered the DMT 8EE 8k stone today and I think I'm going to go with a 2 sided homemade balsa strop with 1 micron and .5 micron paste for finishing for now and also a Tony Miller starter strop for daily stropping. I'm very excited to get everything in order. I've been using a shavette with half of a double sided blade for about 2 weeks to make sure I enjoyed straight shaving and I'm anxious to begin with a real straight now. The above method isn't too bad. All in all it'll set me back only about $115.

I have this set-up as well and have been getting a good shave off of the DMT 8EE, and then onto a Cromium Oxide pasted strop. I finish with passes on a coticule. Then, of course, a hanging strop before the shave.

However, I feel as if my blade is not the keenest possible. Any suggestions? Should I be making more passes on the crOx? I've never gotten a positive result from a hanging hair test either, but I still shave anyway.

I have this set-up as well and have been getting a good shave off of the DMT 8EE, and then onto a Cromium Oxide pasted strop. I finish with passes on a coticule. Then, of course, a hanging strop before the shave.

However, I feel as if my blade is not the keenest possible. Any suggestions? Should I be making more passes on the crOx? I've never gotten a positive result from a hanging hair test either, but I still shave anyway.

You are making to big of a jump from the 8EE to Chromium. It would be nice to go to 1 micron diamond then the 0.5 diamond then the 0.5 Chromium. I personally went one step further and went to 0.25 diamond then back for about 5 laps on Chromium. Then 100 or more laps on the leather. Lots don't like the feel of diamond but if you finish with Chrome and leather you tone down the diamond hashness a little. Everyone is so different but it got me going and for the first year I learned to shave pretty well and IMHO that is the primary goal. This is a pretty flexible system because after a year I bought a 16K Shapton which is 1 micron.....so it goes!:thumbup1:

Take Care,
Richard

Been using my DMTs (E,EE) for a couple of months now (I ditched my Nortons and KINGs... lapping, soaking, etc.. ugh) and couldn't be happier. Huge slabs of steel + diamonds are heaven. E sets a bevel in a hurry and the EE polishes it the same... cuts fast and no need to do the pyramid thing with the standard double-sided water stones... can use the DMTs dry too! I love them so much that I bought a F/C DMT for my kitchen knives...

Also, as stated most everywhere, you'll need to break it in first by dragging a flat piece of steel across it for a couple of minutes. (Even though the note that comes with the stone says otherwise...)

I was able to get very good edges, similar, but a bit rougher than water stones coming off of the EE... which could be tamed by pastes... but I prefer to finish on a Swaty or C12k + CrO .

Good luck! :laugh:

Why are you doing a chrox strop before the coticule? I'd think you should flip those.

You are making to big of a jump from the 8EE to Chromium. It would be nice to go to 1 micron diamond then the 0.5 diamond then the 0.5 Chromium. I personally went one step further and went to 0.25 diamond then back for about 5 laps on Chromium. Then 100 or more laps on the leather. Lots don't like the feel of diamond but if you finish with Chrome and leather you tone down the diamond hashness a little.

I'll give this formula a go, and report back in a little while. Thanks! :thumbup1:

Also, as stated most everywhere, you'll need to break it in first by dragging a flat piece of steel across it for a couple of minutes. (Even though the note that comes with the stone says otherwise...)

I did this with my vegetable knives.:001_cool:

Why are you doing a chrox strop before the coticule? I'd think you should flip those.

I could be mistaken, but I believe I saw Joel do this when he gave his demo here a while back. :blush: I'll flip as you suggested.

Depends on you and what kind of edge you like. Me? I prefer something a little sharper.
What do you mean exactly, Professor? Ix-nay on the MT-Day?

-----------------------------------------------
Thanks for all the replies, gentlemen! :thumbup:
-Lear

Last edited:
Top Bottom