What's new

Came into possession of 'new to me' Ever Ready razors

IMG_9227.jpg

My sister found this at a yard sale and picked them up for me. They obviously need some cleaning, and that step has already started. I have ordered some Gem SE blades, and they are on the way. I've never used a Gem-style razor, so this is all new to me. I'm not 100% certain what models they are, but I'm researching.

Wish me luck, nd if there are any pertinent details I should be aware of feel free to share them here.

The one on the left is the ER version of the patented 1912 razor, came out around 1930. The one on the right is known as the “1924”, it supposedly received that name because it was first seen in the 1924 Sears catalogue but I don’t know if that’s 100% accurate. It also has the unfortunate nickname of “Shovelhead”.

The one on the left is the ER version of the patented 1912 razor, came out around 1930. The one on the right is known as the “1924”, it supposedly received that name because it was first seen in the 1924 Sears catalogue but I don’t know if that’s 100% accurate. It also has the unfortunate nickname of “Shovelhead”.

Thanks for the information on these. I am looking forward to trying them out when the blades get here.

I own and use both. They are excellent. I have a slight preference for the Ever-Ready 1924 "Shovelhead." Maybe that's because my parents were married in 1924? I dunno.

Let us know of any further questions. Let of know which razor you prefer, and why? With those 2 razors, you're at "the top of the mountain," not a bad place to be.

Shave using the 1912 with the face of the cap almost flat against the face; conversely, shave with the 1924 with the cap and handle angled slightly lower. The 1924 instructions say this, and the instructions are correct.

Last edited:
Ever Ready/GEM/Star all are great razors and the favorites of all my vintage razors. The GEM Micro Matic is at the top of the favorite list.

I own and use both. They are excellent. I have a slight preference for the Ever-Ready 1924 "Shovelhead." Maybe that's because my parents were married in 1924? I dunno.

Let us know of any further questions. Let of know which razor you prefer, and why? With those 2 razors, you're at "the top of the mountain," not a bad place to be.

Shave using the 1912 with the face of the cap almost flat against the face; conversely, shave with the 1924 with the cap and handle angled slightly lower. The 1924 instructions say this, and the instructions are correct.
This is an important point. Most of these razors do best with a very shallow angle (in other words, with the head of the razor almost flat against your face).

However, the Shovelhead (the one where the top seems to open up backwards for blade loading) is an exception. For this razor, move the handle down slightly, to about 25-30 degrees, for best results.

Also make sure you get PFTE-coated blades. I like to palm strop them a few times on each side prior to the first use (this smooths them out a little; otherwise the first shave can be a little rough).

Good luck and enjoy. Don't give up if the first few shaves aren't great. For many people it takes a bit of time to really get the hang of these razors.

This is an important point. Most of these razors do best with a very shallow angle (in other words, with the head of the razor almost flat against your face).

However, the Shovelhead (the one where the top seems to open up backwards for blade loading) is an exception. For this razor, move the handle down slightly, to about 25-30 degrees, for best results.

Also make sure you get PFTE-coated blades. I like to palm strop them a few times on each side prior to the first use (this smooths them out a little; otherwise the first shave can be a little rough).

Good luck and enjoy. Don't give up if the first few shaves aren't great. For many people it takes a bit of time to really get the hang of these razors.
Good advice on the shaving angle. The Ever Ready/GEM razors also give you a lot of sound feedback as you shave, which I like. You can hear that your blade is doing its job.

You got some good advice. I will just add to go easy. Its not too difficult to use more preasure than needed. Go slow. They have a different feel to them with the stiff blade. I enjoy them myself. I think i have 10 or 12 Gems.

8625D782-36D1-45A3-BE0B-408FB8D870AA.jpeg

I got impatient waiting for my SE blades to arrive and snapped a Derby USTA in half and loaded it. I rode the cap hard and took my time. I only did two passes and minimal touch up and got pretty close to a BBS.

I’d read a snapped DE would load OK in these and it appeared to be the case. I took my time and watched the blade closely and all seemed well.

I look forward to my Gem blades getting here since the rigidity of those SE blades is supposed to be part of the magic.

Congrats on the score! I have one of each, and enjoy them both. I’m not sure which would be my favorite, but they both have what is totally my favorite handle!

Last edited:
@geneaut , thank you for the reminder about half-DEs. Can’t do that trick with a Micromatic so I forgot until receiving a 1912 for Christmas.
I found the info in here somewhere. I was surprised how well the Derby worked in it to tell the truth. I like the USTA in most of my DEs, but it is more of an upper mid-tier for me usually and it seemed to really like being in this razor. Maybe the top cap on the ER razor keeps it more rigid?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My 1912 definitely locks my blade down tighter than my Micromatics and 1924, so maybe it’s doing the same with your Derby Usta blades?

I followed up yesterday's shave with the Derby USTA DE blade snapped in half and installed in the 1914 with another today, and it was a success. I think I've eased into using the razor reasonably quickly since I tend to ride the cap on my DEs, and that seems to be the procedure recommended for the Ever Ready as well. I'm just learning how to maneuver that giant head assembly around for the most part. That and I'm taking things very slowly.

That said, my Gem blades are supposedly arriving later today, so I'll enjoy an Ever Ready shave the way it was supposed to be appreciated very soon.

I followed up yesterday's shave with the Derby USTA DE blade snapped in half and installed in the 1914 with another today, and it was a success. I think I've eased into using the razor reasonably quickly since I tend to ride the cap on my DEs, and that seems to be the procedure recommended for the Ever Ready as well. I'm just learning how to maneuver that giant head assembly around for the most part. That and I'm taking things very slowly.

That said, my Gem blades are supposedly arriving later today, so I'll enjoy an Ever Ready shave the way it was supposed to be appreciated very sootrying different
As always, YMMV, but I'm thinking you may find GEM blades in the 1914 a big improvement over using a DE blade. What I like about GEM blades is the thicker blade and greater rigidity as compared with DE blades. I'm less likely to nick my face and I think I get a closer shave.

As always, YMMV, but I'm thinking you may find GEM blades in the 1914 a big improvement over using a DE blade. What I like about GEM blades is the thicker blade and greater rigidity as compared with DE blades. I'm less likely to nick my face and I think I get a closer shave.

Agreed. At the time, I was still waiting for my Gem blades to show up, and I was impatient to try the razor. I do have a 10-pack now, and I'm just waiting for a day when I can take my time and try that out. I may aim for this Sunday. I'll update this thread when I do.

I kind of got sidetracked by the arrival of a new-to-me tuck of Personna Med Prep blades and I've been trying it out in my DEs. I may aim for a Sunday shave with the Ever Ready and a Gem SE blade.
Thanks for responding. I've been bit by the Gem bug. Doing research and browsing auctions whenever I see one I shout "Gem-my!" In my best Forrest Gump

Top Bottom