What's new

Calling all Louisiana members

If anyone is headed to Fest For All in downtown BR this weekend, there will be a local brush maker there. His name is Leo Frilot and most of his stuff that I have seen is turned acrylic, but he does wood too. I'm hoping to go meet him and check out his wares.
His stuff is also sold at Mercer Supply Co. Just FYI.

Yep, that's him. You ever used any of Mercer Supply's Barber services?
Not yet, their haircuts are really expensive, even for a stylist. There face shave seems to be on part with the going rate. I stopped in once to check them and their products out. I wasn't that impressed. I could be wrong but the impression I got was that the girl in the front was very enthusiastic and used this to cover up any idea that she didn't know that much about shaving. I asked if they used a straight razor or a shavette. She looked at me for a second like she had no idea what I was talking about and the said they use a straight. The shaving products they have are from a company called Mod Cabin out of Colorado. I bought a tin of aftershave balm and want impressed. It's great they started the place but it seems that they cater to those who don't know or don't care. Just my opinion.

Not yet, their haircuts are really expensive, even for a stylist. There face shave seems to be on part with the going rate. I stopped in once to check them and their products out. I wasn't that impressed. I could be wrong but the impression I got was that the girl in the front was very enthusiastic and used this to cover up any idea that she didn't know that much about shaving. I asked if they used a straight razor or a shavette. She looked at me for a second like she had no idea what I was talking about and the said they use a straight. The shaving products they have are from a company called Mod Cabin out of Colorado. I bought a tin of aftershave balm and want impressed. It's great they started the place but it seems that they cater to those who don't know or don't care. Just my opinion.
That is exactly what I was afraid of. They seem long on style and short on substance. Hmph.

Even if we're the only two, we gotta start somewhere, right! 

Maybe by breathing a little life into this thread we will find some new locals!

Hey! I'm around too! Living in Denham Springs also. I've looked thru the "antique" stores in Denham a few times with no luck other than a couple of coffee cups trying to disguise themselves as shaving mugs with an old battered brush stuck in them.

I'll have to look up this Soap Commander place.

Just picked up a new brush and razor set from Louis Frilot this past weekend....Glad to have a local source finally, at least fro hardware. Now if we could get some decent soaps around here.

[MENTION=94348]Swampworks[/MENTION] if you are willing to look around there a few places in the BR area that sell some soaps and creams. Take a look through this thread, some of us have posted some of them. Welcome to the thread and don't be shy.

If anyone is headed to Fest For All in downtown BR this weekend, there will be a local brush maker there. His name is Leo Frilot and most of his stuff that I have seen is turned acrylic, but he does wood too. I'm hoping to go meet him and check out his wares.

I did go to Fest For All and met Leo. Real nice guy. I bought a nice orange set from him.

Hey guys! I got a few minute to swing by and meet Leo too. He's got some great looking stuff.

I am not terribly proud to admit that I have built a rather large collection of American artisinal shave soaps and aftershaves. Don and I had previously talked about getting together for a beer and I'm hopeful that we can get a few guys to join us. I would be happy to bring some items for y'all to smell or take home samples or what have you.

As I say this I'm realizing how busy my next several weekends are but I do mean it.

Hey guys! I got a few minute to swing by and meet Leo too. He's got some great looking stuff.

I am not terribly proud to admit that I have built a rather large collection of American artisinal shave soaps and aftershaves. Don and I had previously talked about getting together for a beer and I'm hopeful that we can get a few guys to join us. I would be happy to bring some items for y'all to smell or take home samples or what have you.

As I say this I'm realizing how busy my next several weekends are but I do mean it.

I concur...we can meet up and I can bring some of my better soaps and you all can smell or...if i am in a sharing mood...take a little home with you. Middle of May is better for me, but I do have a few days in April that I can do something. I don't think we have too many in the Baton Rouge area so it might be easier to get in some where for a few drinks or a quick dinner or what not. Basically I am in.

Additionally, I wanted to let all you Baton Rouge people know that I stopped into Earthly Concerns today. I know it has been mentioned here before but I think they change their stock out often. So they had some shaving stuff...to include Royall Aftershaves and shaving cream, Pre De Provence shaving cream, Lightfoot's Pine shaving soap, Omega Shaving cream, and Jack Black stuff. I think there were some other stuff but they were scattered around. There was a 50% off shelf that had Art of Shaving Hair Conditioner (random I guess), and a 75% full bottle of Musgo Real Oakmoss aftershave (I think it was about $11 so if you want it go get it). I took a couple of pics of the products for reference (see below). But the thing that impressed me the most was that they had the entire line of the Creed colognes out to test. Yes the entire line. There were scents that I had know idea the had. Anyway, I stared in awe and then I carefully took a whiff and decided that the $185.00 price tag for the small bottle and the $500.00 price tacg for the large were a bit too steep for my taste. I can buy a whole lot of shaving gear for that. Anyway...just an update.

$Eartly Concerns 1.jpg$Earthly Concerns 2.jpg$Earthly Concerns 3.jpg

To your first post, Don, sounds great. I might have to check out Earthly concerns. I've seen several Artisan products modeled after Creed Aventus, so that would be worth a sniff. And I'd like to check out the Royall line.

I'm in South Baton Rouge. There's a student at LSU who is in a wet shaving group with me. There's also a tug boost captain who lives in Opelousas, I believe, but he may or may not be interested in coming in.

To your first post, Don, sounds great. I might have to check out Earthly concerns. I've seen several Artisan products modeled after Creed Aventus, so that would be worth a sniff. And I'd like to check out the Royall line.

I'm in South Baton Rouge. There's a student at LSU who is in a wet shaving group with me. There's also a tug boost captain who lives in Opelousas, I believe, but he may or may not be interested in coming in.
All for it.

Hey ya'll checking in for the first time in a while. Haven't hit the Jeff Parish flea markets in a while. I need to change that soon.

How did I not know this little corner existed (until I saw it in Don's signature)?

Stationed in San Diego but still get home to visit NO/Metairie family at least once a year.

So...something to chew on. Has anyone visited some type of "International" store and found shaving supplies not found in regular department stores (IE Walmart, Target, Walgreen's, etc). Past week or so I have visited about four stores: one an Asian store, the other three Middle Eastern. The Middle Eastern stores I got looked at like I had a third eye. The Asian store I was pleasantly ignored. No shaving items at any of them. The Hispanic stores have Florida Water and some other *** and Colognes, but nothing much else. I was just wondering if anyone else tried this approach and found anything.

I've thought about it, but haven't been to any since I started wet shaving. If there was a solid Indian or Japanese shop, that would probably be worthwhile but I'm not aware of any.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've thought about it, but haven't been to any since I started wet shaving. If there was a solid Indian or Japanese shop, that would probably be worthwhile but I'm not aware of any.

I think there are some other stores around here that I want to check. Unfortunately, anything of the Asian variety is going to be Vietnamese and not Indian...but I am still looking.

Top Bottom