What's new

Café Acquisition Thread

Everything is still in limbo as far as what will go where....

Got another espresso machine on the way to me so until that gets here I don't have an idea how things will play out on the other side of the kitchen.

proxy.php

What machine is that? It looks nice!

What machine is that? It looks nice!

It's a Pasquini Liva 90 automatic (computer controlled pull).

Was a toss up between this and an E-61 group head machine. This one won the wife over as it is smaller than the others I was considering. I can open and refill the reservoir with it under the kitchen cabinets without having to pull it out and turn it around like I would have to do with the larger machines. This model machine has been around for a long time (came out in the 90's). It is a proprietary head brew group but it is a standard commercial 58mm portafilter.

It is a heat exchanger machine (one copper boiler) that can brew and steam simultaneously.

Any coffee geek would slap me around for not getting an E-61 machine but this one is not that much more hassle. Just have to attach the portafilter when I flush the HX water to warm the head group and portafilter, dry it off and fill it, then back onto the warm group and push the button for a perfect (computer consistent timed) shot. E-61 machines have a flow from the boiler through the head group to keep it up to brew temp but this machine doesn't have a water jacket around the head so you have to warm it up manually before each shot if you wait more than a few minutes between shots. You have to flush the steam anyway (even on an E-61) so attaching the portafilter when you flush the steam is not that much more hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a Pasquini Liva 90 automatic (computer controlled pull).
Quite a good machine, based on it's reputation and longevity on the market.

Any coffee geek would slap me around for not getting an E-61 machine but this one is not that much more hassle.
Not necessarily. The E-61 is an excellent grouphead, and has its well-deserved place of prominence. But there are many other groupheads out there that are excellent in their own right. (Vivaldi, for instance) I don't know of many truly knowledgeable geeks that would snub their noses at the Pasquini, much less at non E-61 groups.

Just have to attach the portafilter when I flush the HX water to warm the head group and portafilter, dry it off and fill it, then back onto the warm group and push the button for a perfect (computer consistent timed) shot. E-61 machines have a flow from the boiler through the head group to keep it up to brew temp but this machine doesn't have a water jacket around the head so you have to warm it up manually before each shot if you wait more than a few minutes between shots. You have to flush the steam anyway (even on an E-61) so attaching the portafilter when you flush the steam is not that much more hassle.

There's so much useless debate about which boiler system is "better" and this and that. The truth is that ALL machines need some sort of flush, whether cooling or heating. Some need more dancing and guesswork (Silvia) than others (Vibiemme DB), but the flush will always be needed.

It's just like with anything that takes "operator assistance" to perform correctly

Know your machine and you can do anything :001_smile

Just got this Kent vacuum brewer, even had the instructions with it.

Attachments

• $IMG_20130721_152652.jpg
    $IMG_20130721_152652.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 132
I've seen the glass rod filters, but not porcelain. Should've realized to look for vintage models, since this was the popular method, oh, about 50-100 years ago. Mine comes with a cloth filter, although there's a mod to use a glass rod. I hear these are much better, and assume yours is as good.

Today the mail man brought.....

2 Bodum double wall shot glasses
2 Nuova Point "news" espresso cups
2 ACF "Cafe Majuro" espresso cups

proxy.php

Stopped into the local roasters while I was out and about today.

They had just finished a batch of this and scooped me up a pound right off the cooling tray. It was still a little warm when they handed me the bag.

went right home, pulled the hopper on the Super Jolly and dumped the espresso roast into a bag and ran it to remove what was in the throat. Chunked the dosser a bunch of times and emptied all of the espresso in there. Brushed out the throat and dosser. Loaded the hopper with a handful of the Ethiopian and MAN what a treat that was. Medium roasted, fruity under tones, VERY NICE and it don't get any fresher than roasted, ground, and drunk all in the same hour... SWEET....

proxy.php

proxy.php

Stopped into the local roasters while I was out and about today.

They had just finished a batch of this and scooped me up a pound right off the cooling tray. It was still a little warm when they handed me the bag.

went right home, pulled the hopper on the Super Jolly and dumped the espresso roast into a bag and ran it to remove what was in the throat. Chunked the dosser a bunch of times and emptied all of the espresso in there. Brushed out the throat and dosser. Loaded the hopper with a handful of the Ethiopian and MAN what a treat that was. Medium roasted, fruity under tones, VERY NICE and it don't get any fresher than roasted, ground, and drunk all in the same hour... SWEET....

proxy.php

proxy.php

I like that slogan. "Not your average Joe"

Keep us posted on how the roast progresses over the next few days. Some people say the coffee should rest for 72 hours to degass. I wonder about your impressions from this first cup forward.

I like that slogan. "Not your average Joe"

Keep us posted on how the roast progresses over the next few days. Some people say the coffee should rest for 72 hours to degass. I wonder about your impressions from this first cup forward.

I ground what was left in the Super Jolly throat which gave me another cup of Ethiopian this morning. Taste was very similar to yesterday's brew with a fruity berry under tone. It is a nice mild roast and easy to down as a double shot (straight).

I put some Sumatran in after the Ethiopian emptied out and what a difference. No undertones but one fine cup of joe once again from the Sumatran.

I use a badger hair grinder/mill brush to get all of the old grounds out of the throat and dosser so I don't get any "blend" when I make a change in beans.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Everything is still in limbo as far as what will go where....

Got another espresso machine on the way to me so until that gets here I don't have an idea how things will play out on the other side of the kitchen.

proxy.php

That's a beauty Mick. On my Christmas wish list. Not that exact model but an espresso machine. man, to have that as I come down for my morning coffee!

That's a beauty Mick. On my Christmas wish list. Not that exact model but an espresso machine. man, to have that as I come down for my morning coffee!

The problem is that it takes them a good 45 minutes to a full hour to warm up and stabilize (if you get a prosumer model). You can get an industrial timer and have it turn on a couple of hours before you get up. Then IT will be ready when YOU are ready :001_smile

The Pasquini is on its way to me... Got the shipping notice this morning. I am jonesing bad man.... real bad......

Top Bottom