What's new

Café Acquisition Thread

My acquisition probably isn't all that exciting to most but I'm psyched. I finally made a good cup of coffee at home. I bought myself a french press.

I have also been using preground coffee in an old drip machine I inherited, its been pretty gross. So I also bought some whole bean coffee for the first time. I used a blade grinder that I usually use to grind spices, so my first cup came out with a hint of cardamom. But the coffee since has been excellent. My next purchase will have to be another grinder.

Let the insanity begin.

If French Press is going to be your standard brew method, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Baratza Encore. It's one of the cheapest steel conicals on the market, but because it comes from Baratza, you can be sure you're getting a great machine, and a company that stands behind it's product. Encore from Chris Coffee.

And hey, remember, every acquisition is exciting and thread worthy!! Congrats!

I just got a Porlex hand grinder (my first grinder), had great luck and got an excellent tasting cup of coffee on the first try (French press pot, Papua beans).
Also, aeropress incoming.

If French Press is going to be your standard brew method, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Baratza Encore.

I am going to stick with a French press. It made a nice cup, and it is just me so I don't need more then a few cups at a time.

That is surprisingly affordable. I saw in some older threads folks recommending refurbed Baratzas, but even those were in the upper 200s.

That may be a nice gift to myself, my half birthday is coming up. :wink2:

Got an Orphan Espresso Lido hand grinder.... very nice. Had been using a Baratza Preciso for a couple years. Really enjoying the Lido, Baratza is gone

Got an Orphan Espresso Lido hand grinder.... very nice. Had been using a Baratza Preciso for a couple years. Really enjoying the Lido, Baratza is gone
Fantastic. After you get familiar with it, I hope you will post your thoughts on it. I like my Pharos, even though it has become a single purpose grinder due to the tricky grind setting adjuster.

Picked up a Magister branded Mazzer Super Jolly manual this week. Took it apart and serviced it. Added a shorty (1 lb) hopper. Now I have a decent fine espresso grinder with a doser. I can use my conical Baratza for one off grinds for the press or pour over and keep the Mazzer loaded with espresso roast since that is what I use the most.

proxy.php

$1074439_10100700591895603_1669768134_o.jpg

It's here! Just got my Mazzer Mini Electronic Doserless Type B. I've been lusting for this baby for several years...finally pulled the trigger. It's going to be a late night tonight :)

Nice Joe! Have fun.

It looks like you have some industrial spice containers in the background. You can stay up late drinking coffee and cooking!

View attachment 351671

It's here! Just got my Mazzer Mini Electronic Doserless Type B. I've been lusting for this baby for several years...finally pulled the trigger. It's going to be a late night tonight :)

I think it's safe to say, you probably don't need very much more coffee.

How Joe looks before playing with new grinder:eek2:
How Joe looks AFTER playing with new grinder:yikes:

Have fun making some GREAT coffee!!

Nice Joe! Have fun.

It looks like you have some industrial spice containers in the background. You can stay up late drinking coffee and cooking!

They're actually tea from my local Chicago house (Argo, mostly)! I think I'm going to need that chamomille to get me to sleep sometime around midnight :)

I think it's safe to say, you probably don't need very much more coffee.

How Joe looks before playing with new grinder:eek2:
How Joe looks AFTER playing with new grinder:yikes:

Have fun making some GREAT coffee!!

I can't wait! Last night I did a cupping with 4 different beans I'd roasted on Monday. Wish I could have held out until tonight, but I have a feeling I'm going to keep myself plenty busy playing with the "cheap beans" tonight figuring out how to get this bad boy dialed in. Next step, DeLonghi EC155 modding to get a depressurized portafilter/basket and really start taking advantage of what this grinder can do!

***edit - Also, tonight will NOT be a night for the straight razor, as much as I may need it.

They're actually tea from my local Chicago house (Argo, mostly)! I think I'm going to need that chamomille to get me to sleep sometime around midnight :)

I can't wait! Last night I did a cupping with 4 different beans I'd roasted on Monday. Wish I could have held out until tonight, but I have a feeling I'm going to keep myself plenty busy playing with the "cheap beans" tonight figuring out how to get this bad boy dialed in. Next step, DeLonghi EC155 modding to get a depressurized portafilter/basket and really start taking advantage of what this grinder can do!

***edit - Also, tonight will NOT be a night for the straight razor, as much as I may need it.
Excellent! Have fun with that Mod! I've heard that's a pretty capable machine once depressurized.

You'll have to tell us what you think about the electronic dosser. Was giving serious consideration to one until the super jolly fell into my lap :001_smile

That musta hurt, Mick. Those things are huge!

It looks tiny with the short mini hopper. It reminds me of Zippy the Pin Head :lol: You should see it with the 3 lb standard size hopper on it.... YIKES... With the short mini hopper it fits under the kitchen cabinets (by about 1/2"). With the full size hopper it looks scarey big :scared:

The rattleware spill tray with tamper pad is on the UPS truck and should be here in about an hour or so. Then both grinders can go over to their permanent place under the cabinet on the other side of the kitchen (by the coffee makers)

proxy.php

Last edited:
The rattleware spill tray with tamper pad is on the UPS truck and should be here in about an hour or so. Then both grinders can go over to their permanent place under the cabinet on the other side of the kitchen (by the coffee makers)

proxy.php

Of course you'll post pictures of them in their natural habitat?

Of course you'll post pictures of them in their natural habitat?

Everything is still in limbo as far as what will go where....

Got another espresso machine on the way to me so until that gets here I don't have an idea how things will play out on the other side of the kitchen.

proxy.php

Everything is still in limbo as far as what will go where....

Got another espresso machine on the way to me so until that gets here I don't have an idea how things will play out on the other side of the kitchen.

proxy.php

Excellent! My first machine is still a year or so off. Until then I'm having to make do with various brew methods, MyPressi and an Encore.

You'll have to tell us what you think about the electronic dosser. Was giving serious consideration to one until the super jolly fell into my lap :001_smile

I'm pretty sure my reviews will be glowing, since I'm moving up from a $50 Cuisinart, but I'll do my best to be critical :)

Top Bottom