What's new

Buying premade natural razor scales

Hi,
Does anyone have a source for buying premade and predrilled razor scales? There are 2 ebay vendors artistic-asia and global woods that sell natural bone and horn, that is pre drilled and for a good price. For some reason they don't provide in the description what width of razor these scales will fit. Just curious if anyone has bought from them? I was wandering how premade scales usually fit? Meaning if a wedge is included, is the wedge usually tapered correctly for that particular razor's tang width?

Both Dovo and Thiers Issard make fully made up scales and pin sets. The Dovos are pre-drilled and ready to go. Have a look at the Superior Shave You Tube channel - he has a demo of fitting one there.

The Thiers Issard kits are also glued and made up but not drilled.

The kits are all quite pricey in comparison with making the scales from scratch. I wanted to dip my toe in easily and decided to start with that route anyway.

What I have found is that it isn't clear how the kits will fit. You have to be a bit lucky - that's why it's better to make the scales to size. I bought a selection and was glad I did. I couldnt match the scales they way I wanted but managed to pair up all the razors with scale kits in the end.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Fendrihan has scales ready to drop the blade in and pin. They have resin and horn but the horn scales are rather thin and generally warped. The resin are sturdy, come I’m either black or white and I believe less than $7.

They will fit but a 5/8 will get lost in them. The material is very thick. There will have to be some modifying done. I would prefer to drill my own as well. That allows you to shorten or thin them without worrying about a predrilled point .

They will fit but a 5/8 will get lost in them. The material is very thick. There will have to be some modifying done. I would prefer to drill my own as well. That allows you to shorten or thin them without worrying about a predrilled point .
So have you bought from this seller? They say they are 5/32" thick. So is that the thickness of one scale?

I have bought similar. You can probably stick a GD in them as they are heavy and are 13/16. But a 5/8 vintage I would say no. If they can be used for 1" blades? That says it all to me.

I emailed this particular seller and ask what width razor these pre-drilled camel bone scales would fit, and they said from a 5/8" to a 1". That's an awful big stretch! I have never heard of scales that can fit almost any size of razor??
Pre Drilled Camel Bone Straight Razor Scales With Hardware Straight Razor Supply | eBay

I just purchased the camel bone scales and let me tell you, you need at least a 6/8” or more razor because they are rather large scales!!! But honestly I wouldn’t even put them on anything but 7/8” or larger to look right .

Top Bottom