What's new

Buying a razor...

Ok, so, here goes.

I have always wanted a straight razor, and now more than ever can actually get one. And I think I know what I want. But do not know if it is a good choice.

I really, really really, would like a cocobolo le grelot from classicshaving.

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/846013/6503933.htm

But I have no idea if that is even reasonable or not. It is a lot of money, and I want it because it looks nice. Not how I think I should buy a razor. What if I decide not to use it.

But I plan to, so I would be really, really thankful for some information, maybe some help in making this choice easier. Thank you.

GetMeAFreakn;

Although opinions may vary regarding type of razor, provider and price, I do not think that you could go wrong with the razor you indicated.

Nevertheless, when you are wondering, "What if I decide not to use it.", then I start to think that a wiser decision would be to get your hands on a simple (but good) razor to learn with before deciding to spend a major chunk of cash.

Lots of users here can turn you on to good, used razors at very reasonably prices which (when properly honed) will shave every bit at good, even if they lack that certain 'Golly-Wow' factor.

- Ignatz

If you are unsure of staying with the straight, I would reccomend starting with a good vintage blade. Much cheaper. If you love the blade as much as I do, then you can always mortgage the homestead and buy any number of lovely, lovely blades. :redface: :lol:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
If you are unsure of staying with the straight, I would reccomend starting with a good vintage blade. Much cheaper. If you love the blade as much as I do, then you can always mortgage the homestead and buy any number of lovely, lovely blades. :redface: :lol:

SAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Advice. I have owned new and old...kinda like the vintage ones myself...you should be able to pick up a quality shave ready straight of the vintage variety for under $50.00 that will delight you.

I decided to go for it, I think I am going to buy it...
Lot of money, but I have always wanted one, why not pursue a dream.
Thanks for everyone's help. One more piece of advice and I would be eternally grateful.
How about me a decent strop. What should I go for, that will get the job done giving good results, and not break my wallet more than the razor will...

Thanks a lot.

-Matt

I decided to go for it, I think I am going to buy it...
Lot of money, but I have always wanted one, why not pursue a dream.
Thanks for everyone's help. One more piece of advice and I would be eternally grateful.
How about me a decent strop. What should I go for, that will get the job done giving good results, and not break my wallet more than the razor will...

Thanks a lot.

-Matt

I would send you to Tony Miller to get a practice strop to start. When you no longer carve out chunks, get a Artisan Latigo or horsehide.

Wait a second!

Buy the same razor here for less than $100 delivered!

The cocobolo scales are nice, but not $150 more kinda nice!

I'd recommend spend the $100 on the razor linked above, then go and splurge the money you saved on a fantabulous Tony Miller strop here (wait and get the red latigo leather model) And be sure to also purchase the practice strop option for an additional $7.50!!!

Okay, so that's ~$100 for the razor, ~$100 for a top of the line strop (with practice strop included), so you have $50 left over for other stuff. Go buy a nice brush, perhaps a Rooney 3/1 from Vintage blades...Okay that runs $75, so that's a little over your previous grand total for that razor alone. But you will have a SWEET setup! All for around $275.

The other thing to consider is, what if you *love* shaving with the razor? And then for the sake of saving $100 you end up with a razor that you don't personally connect to as much as the one you initially wanted?

Shaving manually is a tactile and sensory experience, as long as something is within budget, there's nothing wrong with grabbing something that grabs you back every time you look at it or glance at it, imo :)

The other thing to consider is, what if you *love* shaving with the razor? And then for the sake of saving $100 you end up with a razor that you don't personally connect to as much as the one you initially wanted?

Shaving manually is a tactile and sensory experience, as long as something is within budget, there's nothing wrong with grabbing something that grabs you back every time you look at it or glance at it, imo :)

Good point. But for an additional $100, you should actually get ANOTHER complete razor that rocks, not just a pretty set of scales (which are actually worth $30-40)

Part of the low cost of the one Seraphim posted is due to the current exchange rate between the pound and USD.

Granted, it's less expensive to go the non-wood route.

But if you look at the other link BigRich provided, you'll notice that the difference between the wood scales and the non-wood scales on the same razor is about 85 euros, which is roughly $115.

So the answer to your question of whether it's inappropriate to use aesthetic appeal as a factor in your purchase, in my opinion, is no.

The answer to your question of whether you'd be getting ripped off by spending an extra $100ish dollars for wood rather than plastic scales, according to other sites, is also no.

The answer to whether you want to go a more practical route is entirely up to you...and if you don't, only you can ultimately assess the "worth" of the premium components of the razor :)

Everything everyone has pointed out so far is good advice and important to consider. But if you find yourself bookmarking that razor and glancing at it periodically throughout the day, and you find yourself lusting over it, then by all means don't feel you're doing something wrong by buying it. People spend a lot more on more questionable merchandise, I can assure you :)

I still maintain that razor for $250 is highway robbery!

The B&B LeGrelot, which was a much more unique and special razor cost $280, right?

Actually, I just went to the Rasurpur link above. Under "LeGrelot Special" about halfway down the page they again have the 1/4 grind LeGrelots!!!!

BUY ONE OF THOSE!!!!!!!

It will be about $145 + $20 shipping, and shave circles around that other hollow grind LeGrelot. They are fantastic razors!

BUY A 1/4 GRIND LEGRELOT FROM RASURPUR!!!!!!

I'm pondering buying another one, I like the first one so much....:blushing:

BUY ONE OF THOSE!!!! (in case you didn't hear me before....)

I'm serious.

Last edited:
Yo, you guys are rockin it.

You have made this soooo much easier for me.

I have decided that, no matter how cool those wooden scales are, oh well...

I am buying a razor from RasurPur, 1/4 grind, and I will be happy with that. And I also think I will go with what another person suggested (thank you, I forgot your name, but thanks regardless) I am buying a red latigo strop and a practice strop with the money I saved from the scales.

So it should run me somewhere around 250- 300 dollars, and I can be happy.

Thank you all, and I will post again when I find out exactly how to work this. In the mean time, more information that you think might be useful will again be greatly appreciated.

I still need a hone and shaving soap. =/

So again, Thank you all, I appreciate everyone's advice. And I give a throw out to Seraphim. Because you have helped greatly.

Thanks everyone.

-Matt

And if I missed anyone, forgive me.

Ok...

Another question.

3/4 to Full Hollow Grind,
1/4 grind,

Exactly what do these things mean? And do they matter all that much?
What is the difference? The feel? Looks? I have no idea...

Some people have been saying 1/4 grind, so I just assumed hey, they must know what they are talking about, but knowing before buying would be awesome.

Thanks.

-Matt

A full hollow has a very thin blade profile if you look at it from the tip.

A 1/4 hollow is a much thicker in profile, more of a full wedge or triangle shape if you look at it from the tip.

A wedge shape, heavy grind gives a very solid feel and smooth quiet shave.

There are many, many full hollow razors available, so you can get one of them later in your straight razor pursuits (like probably the first week you start!:wink:). But the reason I so strongly recommended the 1/4 grind LeGrelot is that it is very rare to be able to buy a brand new heavy grind razor like that. And it shaves great!

I'm really psyched for you! The first razor you wanted to get is also a very nice razor, but it really is overpriced just for the sake of those scales.

Ok...

Another question.

3/4 to Full Hollow Grind,
1/4 grind,

Exactly what do these things mean? And do they matter all that much?
What is the difference? The feel? Looks? I have no idea...

Some people have been saying 1/4 grind, so I just assumed hey, they must know what they are talking about, but knowing before buying would be awesome.

Thanks.

-Matt

Dude. The 1/4 hollow Le Grelot is one of the best shaving razors I have. It shaves as good as or better than my two customs. I also have a vintage 3/4 hollow Le Grelot that is very, very nice. But the 1/4 is in a league of its own.

My razor is on the way. From England. Hahaha.
14 business days...
Damn it.

And I bought a Tony Miller Strop.

I am wicked excited. Thanks to everyone who put in some input.

you're going to like that TM strop! I have the same one and it's absolutely perfect.

Let us know when you get the razor!

One bit if advice; use the practice strop for a few weeks.

You're going to nick your strop. :eek: It just happens while you're getting the muscle memory down. It's much better to nick the practice than your good strop.

And it's going to be hard. Tony Miller's artisan strops are just amazing. The materials and craftsmanship are impeccable, and you're going to want to use it ASAP. But wait a little while...

Top Bottom