What's new

Buying a new Range...Thoughts?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So we've had an electric flat (glass) top range for about 5 years and I absolutely hate it. I want the temp control of gas!

Anyway, we are looking for a new 30" range and wanted to get your thoughts. For gas, we would need to run a gas line into the kitchen at the cost of about $550 and convert our 240v to 120v at a cost of about $150. Or, we can buy an induction range and not have to change anything.

Anyone have thoughts on gas vs induction? Most of my cookware is induction compatible but I've never cooked with induction. We want to spent about $1500 total for this project.

You could buy an induction hot plate first to see if you like it.

Looking into induction cooking myself, there seems to be a health concern by some about the EM fields they generate. Might just be the same fears folks had about microwaves back in the '80s. Didn't really delve into the matter too much.

If you don't like electric, you will not like induction. Induction will heat up faster than electric but it cycles (on off) so hard to "simmer" . Does "boil" very well but for lower settings the cycling will drive you nuts. All I use our induction plate for is boiling water (cooking pasta, spuds, etc). I mostly use my induction for moka pot as I can make a pot in under 3 minutes with induction as opposed to 10+ on a gas burner.

No need to change 240 to 120, just run a 120 line and keep the stove feed for someone who likes electric and hates gas (yes there are some who hate gas). Every kitchen reno I've done I put in gas and 240 vac both for the range.

I've had DCS ranges for ages, both a 30" at one home and a 36" at another. Buy once, never replace.

I'd steer you to their products.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a gas range that had a induction unit.
I don't remember which brand, though.
Alternatively, you could go for a regular gas range, & plug in one of those stand-alone induction units next to it.
Gives an extra hot spot at minimal cost.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm for gas...all the way.

Wait a minute, that didn't sound right. I just had Mexican food for dinner.

I grew up using gas stoves. The house I bought here over 20 years ago was all electric. Had the plumbing run for propane, since natural gas lines aren't available out here, and never looked back. Not to mention how much cheaper the gas heating units are to use compared to electric for heating the house using gas for regular house heaters.

My dear departed Mom's last house has an electric cook stove...it gives me fits trying to cook on it when I'm there. I like to adjust the heat on the stovetop by looking at the flame.

I have had a GE Spectra XL44 gas cook stove for years. Only thing I don't like about it is the oven has the electric "pilot light" for the oven and the gas doesn't get to it unless the electric element heats up enough for the gas "gauge" to release the gas (I thought that was what the thermocouplings on gas pilot lights were for...cut off the gas to the pilot light if the pilot light goes out but you can still light the burner if you turn it on and use a match). And if the electricity goes out during a storm the oven is useless. The stovetop burners still work, but the electric starters don't fire...have to light the burners with a match or lighters. My hot water heater is also on propane, with a gas pilot light with thermocoupling...no worries if the power is out for extended periods.

I'll move the fridge out (it's on wheels) to plug it into the generator if the power goes out , but not moving the stove for just the oven. The deep freezer's plug is handy to get to without moving the freezer.

YMMV.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If you don't like electric, you will not like induction. Induction will heat up faster than electric but it cycles (on off) so hard to "simmer" . Does "boil" very well but for lower settings the cycling will drive you nuts. All I use our induction plate for is boiling water (cooking pasta, spuds, etc). I mostly use my induction for moka pot as I can make a pot in under 3 minutes with induction as opposed to 10+ on a gas burner.

No need to change 240 to 120, just run a 120 line and keep the stove feed for someone who likes electric and hates gas (yes there are some who hate gas). Every kitchen reno I've done I put in gas and 240 vac both for the range.

I've had DCS ranges for ages, both a 30" at one home and a 36" at another. Buy once, never replace.

I'd steer you to their products.

That's what I don't like about the newer Hot Plates compared to the older coil element ones...they cycle on and off. Can't really cook on them anymore. Useless in my opinion.

So we've had an electric flat (glass) top range for about 5 years and I absolutely hate it. I want the temp control of gas!
Anyway, we are looking for a new 30" range

You know, instead of getting rid of your old range, it would be more cost effective to add a 3 or 4 burner gas stove or cooktop.
The kind that don't need to be fitted & can just be placed on the counter.
There are some gas stoves/hobs of this type, although they are not common in North America.

Here's an example of a portable camping stove, but you can see from the picture the type I mean.
https://www.amazon.com/Koblenz-PFK-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J8XTEAFTKK4N78EATNRR

Last edited:
I have a frigidare induction and love it, boils water fast, set to simmer and it stays at that temp. Cooking in oil stays the same temp. Expensive and is why i bought the warranty.
Will not work without a pan, cant turn on the wrong burner, or gas by accident, no pilots to worry about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As it was too difficult to route in a gas line we went with induction. Induction heats up faster than electric, and has been very good at keeping the pot at a regular temperature/setting.

Never noticed that it would cycle like our previous electric coil did.

It has been great over the last few years. One great feature is that it does not heat up the kitchen.

Ours came with a oven that can be split into two ovens with an insulated insert. You can control each level with its own controls, or take out the insert and have one large convection oven.

There are many models so there is a fair bit of homework to do to find which features work best for you.

If you don't like electric, you will not like induction. Induction will heat up faster than electric but it cycles (on off) so hard to "simmer" . Does "boil" very well but for lower settings the cycling will drive you nuts.

I Wholeheartedly agree with everything stated. Induction-electric: is there a difference?

Love my 36" DCS. Mine 4 burners and a grill, but I think I would have preferred a griddle; The grill takes a long time to preheat, and small usable cooking area (rear half is WAY hotter then front half.

I Wholeheartedly agree with everything stated. Induction-electric: is there a difference?

Difference

Electric: Uses a coil heating element. it gets hot and the heat transfers to the pot, then to the food

Induction: Creates an electromagnetic field that agitates the food modules, heating them while leaving the pan and stove cold. Now the pan and stove will heat up but this is from contact with the hot food, not from the stove itself.

Love my 36" DCS. Mine 4 burners and a grill, but I think I would have preferred a griddle; The grill takes a long time to preheat, and small usable cooking area (rear half is WAY hotter then front half.

Ha ha ha..... I converted my grill to a griddle.

I would not recommend this as a homeowner DYI. Way too many parts to replace. I never got my griddle to work as it should and never used it. I never used the grill either so a double loser for me.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
IMO, not all electric is the same. I've never cooked with induction but I know that I'd take 'old school' open coil electric elements over flat top glass insulated elements everyday and twice on Sundays.

I've decided to go with Nat Gas. Thanks for the input everyone!

yes, gas is the way to go... and much cheaper than electric, at least in my neck of the woods.
I wouldn't go for a fancy range, i had a thermador, for what i spent fixing it i could've bought another kitchen.
Now i have this for almost 2 years, happy camper so far.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
yes, gas is the way to go... and much cheaper than electric, at least in my neck of the woods.
I wouldn't go for a fancy range, i had a thermador, for what i spent fixing it i could've bought another kitchen.
Now i have this for almost 2 years, happy camper so far.

Lol! That’s the one we are pretty much set on getting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The secret is......

Don't buy the cheapest and don't buy the most expensive.

Get a middle of the line model.

Things like convection and high output wok burners are a personal preference.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There are a lot of things you could do to me. Some will hurt, and many will just roll off my back. If really you want to break my heart and spirit, then replace my gas range with any manner of electric one.

There are a lot of things you could do to me. Some will hurt, and many will just roll off my back. If really you want to break my heart and spirit, then replace my gas range with any manner of electric one.

Down here all we have is electric. It hurts.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
IMO, not all electric is the same. I've never cooked with induction but I know that I'd take 'old school' open coil electric elements over flat top glass insulated elements everyday and twice on Sundays.

I've decided to go with Nat Gas. Thanks for the input everyone!

I think gas is a good call. Have you ever cooked with a convection oven before? There is a temperature/time difference between regular radiant ovens and convection that you'll need to adjust for especially if using conventional recipes. There's a convection oven at Mom's...I don't care for it but you may like one.

Better Cooking with Convection Ovens

https://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/healthy-living/convection-oven-vs-regular-oven/

Top Bottom