What's new

Butter Storage

borg-hilarious-sexy-times-star-trek-***-6037714944.jpg

We have used two butter crocks for years..never an issue. We just use distilled water. Change it once a week.
Once out, hot water soak, rinse and wipe.
Better Butter..
BFX

Land O' Lakes sticks for cooking eggs. Land O' Lakes spread butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt for toast, etc. It's so much better than other spreadables.

Yeah, I rarely use butter. Usually a blob in the fry pan for eggs. My go-to spread for toast is Land-O-Lakes with garlic.

We have used two butter crocks for years..never an issue. We just use distilled water. Change it once a week.
Once out, hot water soak, rinse and wipe.
Better Butter..
BFX

I thought about using distilled water, which I figured would eliminate some contaminants...we have softened, unfiltered well water, and while it has been tested and safe to consume, I have no idea what "safe" bacteria might be lurking.

We do have and use a butter bell. We started using this when we decided to stop using margarine about a year ago.

Changing the water, using water from a Brita water pitcher in the fridge, is not an issue for us. We do it three time per week in the morning; Monday, Wednesday and Friday in our case, per the manufacturers instructions. Once or twice per month, when it is empty, we wash the butter bell and base with soap and water to keep it clean.

The capacity is 1/2 cup which is equal to 1/4 pound of butter. We buy butter, on sale, by the pound and divide it into quarters, wrap in aluminum foil, place these in a freezer bag and store in the freezer for future use.

The softness of the butter on the counter is very dependent on the ambient temperature.

Over all we are very happy with it and do not find the maintenance to be a problem. YMMV

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Kerry Gold here only. Never in fridge when opened (I buy the Costco four-pack and keep the rest in the fridge). Learned this many years ago when I bought my butter from the Amish in Indiana, it was always a glob of butter, maybe 2 lbs. and we kept it in a stone pot with a lid on the kitchen counter as we were advised by the seller to do. Butter needs not to be in the fridge, it lasts a very long time and if stored outside the fridge, it is always easily spreadable. In all the 20+ years we do this, never had any issues.

Butter doesn’t require any special handling. I keep it frozen for months, then thaw it and put it in a covered butter dish in the cupboard. It can stay there until used up, sometimes a week or more. I don’t know how long you can keep it at room temperature because after 66 years I’ve never seen it go bad.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
What I do with butter is just buy a few pound bricks when on sale and just 1/4 the brick with a sharp knife and then take a piece of saran wrap plastic with the aluminum foil still on the quartered packaged butter still, is stack the butter back it was originally with a Saran wrap layer in between the sliced butter for easy removal when frozen . When a 1/4 slice is used up in the butter dish i remove a new frozen 1/4 slice and just let it thaw out. I then wash the butter dish and let dry and when new piece is thawed or butter dish is dry I unravel the aluminum off the butter and place in clean dish, just repeat as needed. Takes a few minutes to prep the butter to store in freezer of the refrigerator and is no big deal IMO.
The nice part of doing it this way is the butter is usually fresher and reduces waste or possible spoilage. I have been doing this for well over 12 years and seems to work great for my butter needs.
Leaving a whole pound of butter out does not make sense to me. Butter sticks make more sense like some of the fellows are doing already, they are priced higher to purchase in the bar sticks than in 1 pound increments has been my recollections .
butter storage.jpg

Butter storage ideas!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m probably an odd duck. I like hard butter on fresh Italian or French bread, etc., but soft butter on toast and other hot foods where butter adds to the enjoyment. I’ve been on a low carb eating life style for the past couple years so it’s a moot point but I do miss bread of most kinds still warm out of the oven: either cooked at our place, friends’ homes or a local bakery.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
My theory is that the mold forms from the food left on a knife used to scoop out the butter (say when you are buttering a couple pieces of toast).
This. We've used on for years, the one time we got mold was from toast crumbs left in the butter by a house guest. Little rings of mold around the crumbs, but nowhere else. We change the water once a week when we use the butter. Dump out the old, quick swish with hot water and refill with cold. When the butter is gone we wash the everything like any other dish. I only put 1/2 of a Kerrygold brick in it at a time, so it gets washed pretty frequently.

Like others, never had an issue with butter going bad on the counter as long as it gets used. Land O Lakes w/olive oil is a great spreadable, but I've found it needs to be quickly returned to the fridge or it will get over-soft to near liquid if left out. Growing up in Northern Wisconsin we had "lunch ladies" that baked fresh bread every day and right around 2 pm everyday they would bring a plate of left over bread with butter or butter and peanut butter half-sandwiches as well as any milk due to expire as a snack. Today, there's still nothing better than a hearty piece of homemade bread (you know, the kind that can stand up to a bit of harder butter) with butter, okay, it's only surpassed by a hearty piece of homemade bread fresh out of the oven. A coworker once told me that "Life's too short to not eat real butter," no truer words have been spoken...

What I do with butter is just buy a few pound bricks when on sale and just 1/4 the brick with a sharp knife and then take a piece of saran wrap plastic with the aluminum foil still on the quartered packaged butter still, is stack the butter back it was originally with a Saran wrap layer in between the sliced butter for easy removal when frozen . When a 1/4 slice is used up in the butter dish i remove a new frozen 1/4 slice and just let it thaw out. I then wash the butter dish and let dry and when new piece is thawed or butter dish is dry I unravel the aluminum off the butter and place in clean dish, just repeat as needed. Takes a few minutes to prep the butter to store in freezer of the refrigerator and is no big deal IMO.
The nice part of doing it this way is the butter is usually fresher and reduces waste or possible spoilage. I have been doing this for well over 12 years and seems to work great for my butter needs.
Leaving a whole pound of butter out does not make sense to me. Butter sticks make more sense like some of the fellows are doing already, they are priced higher to purchase in the bar sticks than in 1 pound increments has been my recollections .
View attachment 1838629
Butter storage ideas!
This is a good idea, I think I will have to adopt this practice as I can't seem to find a butter dish I like that will fit a 1lb brick.

Top Bottom