What's new

learning how to shave...again...

Gentlemen-

I wanted to thank all of you for posting such an unbelievable wealth of information on shaving products, equipment, styles, preparation, follow-up and general good will to men intent on improving the quality of their shave (and by extension the quality of their lives...).

With that out of the way, I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to all of you who have been so helpful to me as a new lurker/member. This is my first post and I wanted to take a moment to explain what brought me to badger and blade.

For many years, the most important concern I had regarding my look upon leaving in the morning was "do I have anything in my teeth...?" Now I am on the short side of forty and almost all grown up. In addition, my career has changed from one of labor to management. And when I say labor I mean actual blue collar work. And I never much cared if that collar had mustard on it let alone "gee is my face as smooth as possible?" or "I wonder if others think I smell nice? (even the wife...)"

Now I actually *gasp* consider what I am going to wear before i put it on (and the basic requirements of "will this keep me from freezing to death?" seem not to be enough anymore). I can amost tell the difference between houndstooth and broadcloth, I know what a pinpoint oxford is, and whether a striped shirt and a striped tie can be safely worn together (generally the answer is no unless you are into looking like an optical illusion...).

I also have lost over thirty pounds due to doctors recommendations and the even sterner influence of the wife. Therefore I have had the oppotrunity to completely rethink my wardrobe and adjust to current styles and clothes that actually fit me now.

So what was missing from my life? What was the one "man" thing I really needed to get under control? My face...

I never got a lot of pimples and I fall into the very broad category of men with (seemingly) very soft skin and coarse beard. I have toiled mightily for years to improve the quality of my shave. Even when it wasnt necesary professionally if only to limit the discomfort I was inflicting on myself daily. I was always looking for the next multi-blade heavily advertised razor to hit the market and thought...oh sure THIS one will keep me from getting razor burn.... Sadly it was not to be.

So I started to do a little research on line. I asked the few barbers I knew. Its hard to go over to a well shaved man and say "wow you always seem to get the closest shaves and your skin looks so nice...how DO you DO it?" At least for me... And I never learned how to shave from my father who didnt live long enough to teach me.

And I learned that... a BRUSH...is a really great tool to have and it can lift the whiskers and make for a better shave. SO I bought one... A very inexpensive boars hair from the local pharmacy...WOW. It works. A noticeably better shave. A LITTLE less redness. Nice and smooth. Sweet. Then I keep hearing about the term "Pre-shave" and specifically pre-shave OIL. OIL? seriously? OIL? on...your skin? isnt that going to make me break out? Well...apparently not. I made my way to the local upscale department store (ok it was Saks) and bought the one I thought smelled the best (lemon in case you were wondering I love lemons, limes, citrus smells...) It was the ART of SHAVING pre-shave oil.

Next day, steaming hot shower. pre-shave oil (oooh smells good...) and lather with a brush (ok at this point it was out of a can)....WOW! A little less redness... less ingrown hairs the following few days...maybe there is something to all this stuff i see on the shelves.

More research... Taylor of what street? Wetshaving? STRAIGHT RAZORS?? what have I gotten into? I found an aftershave that seems to work nicely for me. (Nuetrogena after shave balm) and the face feels a little smoother throughout the day. Ok...ok...a shaving bowl? fine I have lots of old ceramic laying around. I actually appropriated an old butter bell I never used (its a cooking thing for keeping butter at room temperature from spoiling by inverting in a bowl of water....but thats another show...). MY mall has a bath and body works so i pick up a small tube of proraso shave cream in the tube (branded as bigelow..). Then I tried a pre shave scrub (also neutrogena...) and all of a sudden...my face is almost never red anymmore. when my kids give me a hug they say "wow daddy you are soooo smoooth" (is there any finer benchmark?

I am thinking of adding a toner to my repertoire. I already use hot towels when I have time. I am keen to try Treufit and hill and Taylors creams, and I am dying to experiment with lots of good smelling aftershaves. The next logical step of course is to go to the DE razor but I am a big chicken and dont want to do ireperable damage to the face (but I am leaning that way I wont be long for the cartridges believe me).

SO that Is the progression in my shaving regiment and its like learning all over again. I wanted to again thank you all for the facts, the encouragement, the camaraderie, and the wit. I hope that I can learn more from you gentlemen and perhaps exchange ideas in the future.

cheers...

-db

First off Welcome to B&B.
Secondly congratulations on your introduction to wetshaving.
Thirdly don't fear the DE. But be sure to buy an alum block or a styptic pencil.
Everybody nicks themselves sometimes. Just part of the process. Once you start using the DE (and learn how to use it), you'll never look back.

Well db, you are certainly off on the right foot. One thing that jumps out at me straight away is that you READ a lot of the information here. I can't tell you how much time and effort most newbies(old hands too) could save themselves if they would do more of that. That is not a knock on posting for newbies. Far from it. I detest the arrogance of many forums in that the first response any new poster gets is "use the search function you...enter-your-choice-of-expletive or adjective". We try to maintain a much more hospitable demeanor here and it usually works just crackerjack. So don't hesitate to ask more questions.

As to the soft skin/tough beard thing. I hear you. I have experienced this myself. For years, I never shaved more than once or twice a week. My wife complained constantly. Now she complains that I spend too much time with it. Ah, well. Ahem. Back to business. Do keep up the practice. I can tell you from personal experience that once you develop your motor memory skills with a good DE blade or straight razor, there is a 95% chance you will NEVER go back to a cartridge razor. The most common advice is you will get when learning the DE or straight is "don't put too much pressure on the razor". That is sound advice but there is more. What you will learn to do is called reduction. I would almost bet you that with a relatively tough beard, you will be better served using three or four light passes with the DE rather than trying to take 98% of the beard off in the first with the grain pass. Listen for that catch word around here; reduction. There are some fantastic posts here that describe it perfectly. Try searching for Guenron's "four shave pass" post. Ron does a bang up good job of describing his technique. A good idea is to keep a mental image of the DE blade being in even contact along its edge when it is up against your skin. Rocking it back and forth or applying uneven blade pressure at angles is an almost guaranteed way to cut yourself. Using too much outright pressure will usually give you a good case of razor rash. It is just a learning experience but well worth it.

Next up, when you do get your first case of razor rash, and you will, give yourself a day's rest between shaves if you can manage it. It will ease your transition a lot if you can keep from hacking yourself up for several days in a row. That is exaggerated of course but you get the point. As to aftershaves, well, I am one of those who think most of them are crap. While good to excellent shave lathers abound, truly top shelf aftershave lotions are the holy grail of wet shaving. That is harsh but it is my honest opinion. The very best I have used are Musgo Real Classic and Speick a/s shave lotions. The a/s balms are another thing and the only one I regularly use is Proraso liquid cream and then usually in the winter months. I have other a/s lotions but doctor them with pure aloe juice. Usually to the tune of 1/2-1 teaspoon per 100ml. Do NOT do this at first. You need to find what base products work best for you before you jump into the mad scientist's realm. My first suggestion would be to call Charles at QED and speak with him about his hydrosols. They are the gentlest thing on your visage you could imagine and smell terrific. I am not tying to regiment you. Experiment. That is the one thing most guys quit doing after a few months at this. You don't need to buy everything under the sun though it sure is fun.

Another thing that is just impossible to judge is how your skin and beard hair works with certain shaving lathers. The finest I have used are all hard soaps. Names like Penhaligon's, Tabac, Provence Sante, and few more. Another chap will come along and find that a soft, English style shave cream works the magic for him. The nice thing about starting with creams is you can usually buy small samples rather easily from fellow members. Do not get caught up in manufacturers claims. Especially scent combinations. You will doubtless find one that sounds completely irresistible. Those are usually your biggest disappointments. And your greatest finds. See how easy it is?LOL I am sure someone will come along with better information than I have given you and certainly won't be so long winded with it. That's me. Never say it in ten words when you can use a thousand. Best of luck with the endevour. It will be worth it in the long run.

Regards, Todd

Welcome aboard! It is amazing isn't it? You certainly have a nice writing style which bodes well for your new position. I am still a blue collar guy but am at the top 1% in my particular field and it is nice to be in control of my environment, as it were. I explain using a straight to get a good shave, DE's not to be excluded, by asking a very simple question. "How does it feel to start the day off doing a half-a..s job?" I think it sets the tone and direction for the day and those that don't! Can't! :biggrin:

Home has become better also because I have come of age and my wife knows it, "I am man!". Not in a bad way, and not crudely, but with the respect I give I expect in return.

Probably over the top,
Richard

That is without doubt the best first post that I have ever read on here. Reading your writing is a pleasure.

Welcome to the Forum I am sure that you will be very welcome in out little world. I agree that you should not fear the safety razor. I currenty use SE razors the most. There is nothing better then a good shave in the morning. I can see that you already know that.

Fuzzy

Welcome to B&B,
great first post

while mostly all of us here will advocate the use of a DE any day over any cartridge razor, I myself prefer the Straight razor, don't let some pressure you to switch, after all it is all about enjoying your shave how ever that may work for you

that said it is great you have already picked up a brush and some creams so if you do switch the only thing you will have to learn is the razor unlike some guys who try to jump into it directly

wow, great opening post

as for a DE, I got my first just under a year ago, a '57 Gillette Tech, found at an antique store, paid $3.50....cleaned it up, popped in a blade, held it up in the air, and thought - what the crap am I getting myself into? what if I don't like it? what if it tears my face up? what if it kills me? what if a wood chuck could chuck....well, anyway, I wondered if I really knew enough about it and was really committed to trying it...first shave, with the grain only, 2 passes - excellent! have not looked back at all, still had one schick extreme3 cartridge left to use, it's still sitting there, a year later - longest lasting cartridge I've had!

don't fear the DE, respect it, embrace it, love it....
now, blades are a different beasty.....

Top Bottom