What's new

Butter in your coffee anyone?

I recently stopped adding cream to my coffee and instead I am adding a good size glob of butter to my coffee and I am hooked. I find it gives the coffee a very smooth flavour. I am not sure but, is this what they refer to as bulletproof coffee? I do get some strange looks when I go to a cafe and order, "...a dark roast coffee, black and oh, do you have any pads of butter?"

Are you Tibetan by any chance? Yak butter added to black chinese tea is served to guests as yak butter is pricey.

Mike

I do a variation of this where I top it with heavy cream whipped. Let me tell you, it wakes me up fast for predawn cycling and get me through to noon without dying of hunger.

I get the same looks when I ask for mayo on fries. Got hooked on that from street vendors in West Berlin during the mid 70s.

Definitely mayo for fries, but a European mayo rather than Hellman's and the like.

Haven't tried butter in coffee but sweetened condensed milk is a nice turn.
dave

Never tried it, but as soon as I saw the title I remembered this.
It does sound delicious though. :drool:

Definitely mayo for fries, but a European mayo rather than Hellman's and the like.

Everything in West Berlin had to come through Soviet East Germany from the west by truck or air in the 70s. I'm sure the mayo I had was not imported but local made.

Haven't tried butter in coffee but sweetened condensed milk is a nice turn.
dave

We were having Vietnamese ice coffee just about every day before we left last week. I brought the robusta beans with me but have not made any since settling in. Need to get some sweetened condensed milk as there is none here.

Great drink.

You find that all over Houston, due to the large Vietnamese community.

I made my first mason jar of cold brew this past weekend but it will be Thursday before i get a chance to pick up a can of Vietnamese canned milk, very much looking forward to combining the two.
dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have butter and MCT oil in my coffee, blended in a blender. I usually add a scoop of this stuff to make a nice mocha.

Never tried it, but as soon as I saw the title I remembered this.
It does sound delicious though. :drool:

As soon as I saw that clip I thought of this ...

Ironically, it's not the butter that makes Homer fat ... it's the carbs!

proxy.php

I have not tried it so I can't say with certainty, but I thought that the other thing with "butter coffee" is that you have to blend it in a blender to get the proper froth.

Again I haven't tried it (although I may just for the fun of it).

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well I got a day full of nothing to do. Might as well make another pot and give this a try.

Margarine or real butter?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well I gotta say I’m impressed. It really mellowed out the bitterness and smoothed it out. I probably won’t do it every day though. Considering I drink at least 4 cups a day I don’t think that much butter would be healthy for me.

Top Bottom