What's new

Burr Grinder

+1 on the Baratza Virtuoso, I drink french press coffee and use it at about setting #38 of 40. The grind is very even and there is barely any sediment at the bottom of my cup. It is a great grinder for the $$.

One of the best things is the range of adjustments you can use. You can dial it in the way you like it. I got mine from an authorized vendor, Chris Coffee based on their location with respect to mine.

The unit was backordered for just one week and they actually emailed me to ask if I wanted to wait the week or get a refund.

I would tell anyone who wants to use a hand grinder to think long and hard about it. I have a new Zass and to crank out enough coffee for a drip machine for 2 20 oz mugs of coffee takes about 10 minutes. For finer grinds forget it. Also the newer Zass machines suffer from dismal QC and frankly they don't grind evenly. I had a Solis Maestro which finally broke after about 10 years of use. Its a great all round machine.

Does for me! I can't spend 10 minutes grinding a single cup of coffee! :tongue:

There are exceptions to every rule. And I only meant electric ones.

I would tell anyone who wants to use a hand grinder to think long and hard about it. I have a new Zass and to crank out enough coffee for a drip machine for 2 20 oz mugs of coffee takes about 10 minutes. For finer grinds forget it. Also the newer Zass machines suffer from dismal QC and frankly they don't grind evenly. I had a Solis Maestro which finally broke after about 10 years of use. Its a great all round machine.

That sucks that the new Zass grinders are so bad. I'd like to get another hand grinder for the office. I've been waiting for the Hario Skeleton to come in at barismo.com. They originally said they would be in around February and I'm supposed to be on a list that is going to get notification when they come in, but I haven't heard anything and don't see anything on their website. I guess I'll have to go back to the secondary market and take my chances with a vintage Zass.

~Jeff

That sucks that the new Zass grinders are so bad. I'd like to get another hand grinder for the office. I've been waiting for the Hario Skeleton to come in at barismo.com. They originally said they would be in around February and I'm supposed to be on a list that is going to get notification when they come in, but I haven't heard anything and don't see anything on their website. I guess I'll have to go back to the secondary market and take my chances with a vintage Zass.

~Jeff
Well, I know the N.American importer for Hario, and I know that they haven't gotten their big shipment in yet, which means Barismo doesn't have theirs in either. (assuming they're not importing directly, and that they are going through the distributor.. which is a new contract, which I think explains the delays)

Soon, though, they should be back.

+1 on the Baratza Virtuoso, I drink french press coffee and use it at about setting #38 of 40. The grind is very even and there is barely any sediment at the bottom of my cup. It is a great grinder for the $$.

One of the best things is the range of adjustments you can use. You can dial it in the way you like it. I got mine from an authorized vendor, Chris Coffee based on their location with respect to mine.

The unit was backordered for just one week and they actually emailed me to ask if I wanted to wait the week or get a refund.

Yeah, Chris Coffee is a good vendor. I like them.

Well, I know the N.American importer for Hario, and I know that they haven't gotten their big shipment in yet, which means Barismo doesn't have theirs in either. (assuming they're not importing directly, and that they are going through the distributor.. which is a new contract, which I think explains the delays)

Soon, though, they should be back.

If you're in the know, can you let us know when they get here? Where else might they be available besides Barismo?

~Jeff
who has been waiting patiently since the new year

My Rancilio Rocky's been pretty good to me and my Silvia. Even consistent grinds with minimal effort. I bought it after using the aerolatte for about a yr and the noise of the motor was just a rude jolt in the early hours of morning. been happy since

If you're in the know, can you let us know when they get here? Where else might they be available besides Barismo?

~Jeff
who has been waiting patiently since the new year

I've told you everything I know, but if I find out any relevant news, I will surely pass it along here.

Nobody in North America has any in stock right now.

Once upon a time I had a Cuisinart burr grinder. What a piece of crap. Nowadays I have a Rancilio Rocky for drip/FP and a Mazzer Mini for espresso. Some people swear by their hand grinders, but that is the last thing I want to deal with at 5AM.

Speaking of 5AM, I can run Rocky or Mini in the morning without waking up the family, a big plus.

+1 on the new Zass grinders having quality issues.

Anyone looking for a hand grinder should check out orphan espresso. They sell old grinders that they have refurbished. I've never dealt with the company but they haver gotten quite a bit of praise on coffee boards.

I have and would recommend the Baratza Maestro Plus Coffee Grinder which goes for about $150. I've had mine for about 6-7 years and the thing runs great. I grind for drip coffee and for espresso (Rancilio Silvia). Easy operation and trouble free with medium duty use.

I have and would recommend the Baratza Maestro Plus Coffee Grinder which goes for about $150. I've had mine for about 6-7 years and the thing runs great. I grind for drip coffee and for espresso (Rancilio Silvia). Easy operation and trouble free with medium duty use.
From what I have read you join a sizeable crowd with your recommendation.

If you plan on making drip or french a Capresso Infinity or Baratza Virtuoso would be great.

If you plan on making espresso a Gaggia MDF is the bare minimum. You can purchase one at wholelattelove for on sale now for $269 (I purchased one 2 years ago but I think I paid 199 or 250. I guess prices have increased.

Also for the price you can't beat the Rancilio Rocky starting around $349.

If you plan on making drip or french a Capresso Infinity or Baratza Virtuoso would be great.

If you plan on making espresso a Gaggia MDF is the bare minimum. You can purchase one at wholelattelove for on sale now for $269 (I purchased one 2 years ago but I think I paid 199 or 250. I guess prices have increased.

Also for the price you can't beat the Rancilio Rocky starting around $349.
Or ebay for the grinder of your choice (almost) for about the same price.

For that price league, you may as well start looking for Mazzers and new burr sets.

It's a great economy to be buying used coffee equipment in. A lot of non-progressive shops are closing their doors.

Once upon a time I had a Cuisinart burr grinder. What a piece of crap. Nowadays I have a Rancilio Rocky for drip/FP and a Mazzer Mini for espresso. Some people swear by their hand grinders, but that is the last thing I want to deal with at 5AM.

Speaking of 5AM, I can run Rocky or Mini in the morning without waking up the family, a big plus.

Did you have the DBM-8 Electric Burr Grinder? That is what I have. My God, that thing is nearly as loud as a jet engine. I bought mine at costco about 8 months ago. I have been debating on throwing it in the trash and going back to a whirly blade spice grinder because it is so freaking loud.

Last edited:
Top Bottom