What's new

Burr Grinder

I'm looking to buy a good burr grinder. I don't want to spend a ton of money on it however. I'd love to hear what all of you recommend.

See http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.electricmills.shtml for the Baratza. I have a a much older version of the Maestro and it is a pretty decent grinder at much less than the competition. I my opinion they "own" that price point.

I did break something on it after a number of years of use (4? 5?) and was able to email the guy who runs the place and got a replacement part. I had to pay for it (but it was cheap) because I was way past warrantee, but the point is they've been around for a while and can support their users.

I've been tempted to upgrade to the Virtuoso and had hopes of doing so when I broke off a little plastic piece, Unfortunately I was able to repair it. Note that the replacement part was more robust than the original and will never break. :mad3: I will just have to hope something else wears out!

What type of coffee are you drinking? Drip, french press, espresso?

If you're drinking just drip and/or french press the Baratza Maestro is a great grinder.

If you're drinking drip, french press and espresso, spend a bit more and get the Baratza Virtuoso. It's probably the best grinder at it's price point that can handle that range of grinds. It is a bit more than you price range, though you used to be able to get refurbed units directly from Baratza USA for about $150.

If you're only drinking espresso, you should save up and buy a quality espresso grinder which will probably start in the range of $300.

Currently, only drinking drip and french press. I'm roasting my own beans at home, and haven't even tried my hand at espresso yet. Also, I'm not ready to invest in the equipment to grind and roast good espresso.

I'm quite happy with my new Capresso Infinity (which fits your price point quite nicely, and should be just great for both French Press and drip).

If that's all you can spend or are willing to spend, then +1 on the Capresso Infinity.

If you plan to eventually get into the world of espresso, it would be worth the investment to buy a commercial espresso grinder on flea-bay, along with some new burrs. It costs more now, but significantly less in the long run.

I'd probably go for a Baratza if I were you, even if it is a bit over budget. It's a better grinder, which translates to better coffee.

Your coffee is only as good as your grinder.

I've never used the Capresso Infinity so can't comment on it.

My first burr grinder, after much research, was the Maestro and I've recommended it to others many times. It easily handled drip, french press and even managed a passable espresso. It is a quality grinder and shares many of the same parts as Baratza's more expensive grinders.

Maestro should just fit in your budget too. Search online and you'll find it for $99 with free shipping.

Last edited:
+2 for the Capresso Infinity.

I bought it about a year ago and have no complaints. I use it strictly for my vacuum pot.

Last edited:
When I was looking for a burr grinder, I decided upon the Capresso or the Breville. I bought the Breville and its been great so far. About a year old.

How about a hand burr grinder?

I have a cheap $25 wooden manual hand grinder that I picked up at a garage sale. It works much better than any blade grinder I had. It doesn't take that long but that my wife and I rarely drink coffee.

I just google searched for the most recommend hand grinder brand. This brand is quite well recommended but I am not a coffee guy. I am not referring to the company that sells but the grinder brand.

I like my Capresso Infinity. It makes very good drip and french press, and does a decent cup of espresso too. It's easy to operate, easy to adjust, and easy to clean. The grind size is very consistent, and the mechanism seems plenty robust to last a long time. Plus, it's pretty quiet compared to many grinders.

My main complaints about it:

1. It holds a lot of coffee grounds in the mechanism (i.e. before it spits them out into the bin). As a result you have to coax it to give you the full amount you measured, and when changing grind sizes significantly you have to clean it out to ensure you aren't getting the remnants of the previous grind session mixed with your new stuff.

2. The steps are too significant to really dial in espresso. On my machine only about 3 of the settings put out an acceptable shot. This is okay, but to truly get the most from your espresso you need more variation. I suspect eventually I will get a separate grinder just for espresso and keep this for drip/french.

3. Static in the grind bin. Happens with all plastic bins. It's annoying and requires frequent cleaning if you are changing grind sizes.

I did the research and for my price point (similar to yours) this seemed like the best available. I still think I made the right choice. But be aware of its limitations going in.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Cuisinart_Burr_Mill_Grinder/content_419660336772

I have this grinder. bought mine on sale for $30 from a local Kohls department store. I use it at least once a day and have done so for the last 2 years. It has 18 settings and works for espresso and my drip coffee maker. have not tried the coarser end of the spectrum. the only thing that I don't like about it is that the discharge hole needs to be cleaned out with a table knife every week or so to make sure you are getting the right amount of coffee into the bin.

For what it costs, and how it performs, you could fair better with a Bodum blade grinder, I think.

The Cuisinart "burr" grinder doesn't cut.. at all. It just crushes.

I wouldn't use it for espresso, or for french press (unless you really enjoy sludge), but it would be okay for drip.

Just my $.02.

Sub $100 isn't worth buying. Period.

And if you want to go that route, better off buying a blade grinder for $10 at a garage sale.

Does for me! I can't spend 10 minutes grinding a single cup of coffee! :tongue:

There are exceptions to every rule. And I only meant electric ones.

I don't know what kind of hand grinder you are using that takes 10 minutes to grind enough beans for one cup of coffee. But my vintage Zass grinds enough for 2 cups in less than a minute while cranking at a comfortable speed. My 5 year old can do it in that time. Plus, it's kind of satisfying to 'feel' the beans getting ground instead of hearing the motor run.

I'm not saying that a hand grinder is for everyone, but the time it takes to grind the beans is not the reason to avoid hand grinders.

~Jeff

Top Bottom