What's new

Bulb or fan

My preference is fans. My bulbs sit unused most of the time. I also like smaller knots...22, 24, 26. Again, the smaller ones get used the most.

It's a personal preference. I have both but mostly use fans because I like the splay for face lathering. It's faster to load soap with more surface area. Then there's also how flat or curved the fan is. I don't want it too flat. And then there's the loft and other factors like glue bump.

If you set the knot yourself with easy to remove silicone, synthetics don't cost much so you could get one of each to try them both out and see which you prefer.

Although bulb and fan knots are the two primary shapes, there are a full range of knot shapes from pointed to flat. VP Leonhardy of Germany makes brushes in the full range of shapes.

Most boar brushes are nearly flat. That make them ideal for building a lather from a hard tallow soap in a shaving mug. Fan shape knots are often preferred by those those who face lather. Although I have a variety of knot shapes, I tend to prefer 24-26 mm brushes with bulb shapes. I generally bowl lather and paint the lather on my face. The bulb shape fits the interior of the shaving bowl quite well making lathering a breeze.

I believe the opposite is true for bulbs and fans. I have both. I prefer bulbs for loading the the brush in soap tubs and face lathering due to better back bone, and fans for bowl lathering and applying or painting the lather to the face. The best of both worlds is a cross between the two.

TBH, I don't think I've been paying enough attention to the shape of my brushes. I do know I prefer face lathering and I like some more than the others; primarily boar knots, but I own more badgers than boars and only three synthetics (okay two and one vintage nylon). Crap, first it was how you apply your aftershave (wet face/dry face), now it's brush shapes, I have so much yet to learn...

I really don't see a lot of difference between bulbs and fans. It seems to me (and it may just be in my head) that fans generate more lather more quickly if you are using creams instead of soaps. Bulbs, on the other hand seem to pick up soap from a puck better for me. In reality, I use them interchangeably and only throw this out to see if anyone agrees or disagrees.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Bulb for me. A little more backbone and a sexier shape. :)
But as said before, it's not a complete dichotomy, and there are many brushes "in between".

Hate to admit it but I can’t tell the difference. I rotate between these four brush. The one on the left is synthetic, the others are pure badger, I’m pretty sure they’re all 22mm knots.

A3EB3D07-81DB-492F-A0E4-1BF2157EE685.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have never really thought about it until reading this thread. I then looked at my brushes. All my favoured brushes are fan. I also exclusively face lather.

Bulbs are supposed to emphasise backbone, fans are supposed to emphasise face-lathering splay.

With bulbs (the traditional German or European style) a smaller area of the brush is in contact with soap and face and allows for more precise handling, fans (sometimes referred to as British style) are preferred by some because they have a larger surface area in contact with soap and face and some shavers find them therefore more suitable for face-lathering.

Differences between the two styles should not be overestimated though.
I face-lather and primarily use bulbs and find that differences between the two styles are minor. Keep also in mind that many so-called fan brushes are in reality crossovers that come with more curvature on top than a 100% fan (e.g the butterscotch brush in post number 2).

B.
I must be in the minority then as I prefer super backbone, I face lather, and I never splay my brushes.

I'm on the Fan side of the equation on this one and a full time face latherer.

View attachment 1384138

@Shave Souffle How does one face lather without splaying the brush at all? Especially with super backbone!! I can't grasp the concept and I've been face lathering for like 4yrs exclusively...
I have been using super stiff Boar brushes like the Omega Mighty Midget. I even put a Velcro strap to keep it super stiff and it makes it act like a lower loft by adding even MORE backbone. I can press pretty hard against my face and the bristles never splay out and I never did that even with my original synth brush from Razorock (Snowman) that I used exclusively for 2 years. I never rinse the brush so it’s caked on and stiff, i don’t bowl lather anymore, (maybe a handful of times a year) i take my foam pump that is the residual soap rinsed from my Timeless lather bowl that i keep in a 32 ounce mason jar. Sort of a very watery soapy mix and just refill my foam pump. That Mason jar i filled last year and it’s still 1/2 full.

Top Bottom