What's new

Fan or Bulb

B

Barney14

I have my eye on another Dscosmetics A2S synthetic brush, the one I have is a bulb shape, love it but the handle is too short, I have seen one with a longer handle but is a fan shape.

What's the difference between bulb and fan.

Which is best for face lathering

Thanks

I think you'll get lots of opinions about this. I face lather and definitely prefer bulb but I think you'll find people who feel really differently.

A fan is flatter on top so the center bristles don't have to bend as much to get a full exposure across the top of the brush to whatever surface you're lathering on. A bulb kind of lends itself to bowl lathering because of the bowl curvature; a fan in theory should be better at lathering on a flat surface?

The other thing though is I think depending on the type of bristles, fans and bulbs will splay differently, especially for certain types of synthetics? It probably depends on the specific synthetic knot but in my experience a bulb shape can kind of create a central backbone which leads to better water retention.

I don't know. There's a lot that probably depends on the specific knot and personal preferences.

While I don't own any extreme Fan or Bulb (Thater), the brushes below I consider Fan, Bulb, Hybrid (L to R).

All are suitable for face lathering or bowl lathering. To me, the handle is the biggest decision in brush purchase if deciding between bowl or face lathering and how deep your soap dish is.

PXL_20240106_181156044.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

I prefer fan-shaped knots, especially when it comes to synthetics. I find they splay more easily, which really appeals to me as a face latherer

1704590787435.png

I enjoy both bulb and fan knots but I've come to think that the firmness of the backbone plays a factor in which I prefer for a particular brush. As a face latherer, the more firm the backbone the more I gravitate towards a fan shape. Or, said another way, the less a brush splays the more I prefer a flatter scrubbing surface.

Stiff manchurian badgers? Fans all the way. Pillowy silvertips and synthetics? Bulbs work great for me as I'm doing more painting with those than scrubbing I find.

I consider fan knots better than any other shape. My favorite brush is a fan (no glue bump)

24mm TGN Finest.jpg

I do not like bulb knots due to the presence of the glue bump. I have a couple of bulb shaped brushes and find them poor performers.

There you go, that's the best answer! :)

I have some of each and think that the other factors have a larger impact - bristle type, knot size, etc.

Don't forget about loft. Most of my brushes had proportions like a Semogue SOC: 24 x 53. And, then on a whim, I bought a Semogue Torga C5 that is 24 x 50 and, BAM, I found my Goldilocks. I love the feel of these 24 x 50 brushes. Yes, hair type, hair quality and how the knot is set also matters.

Brushes are highly personal. You just need to try different types until you find your fancy.

I consider fan knots better than any other shape. My favorite brush is a fan (no glue bump)

View attachment 1776154

I do not like bulb knots due to the presence of the glue bump. I have a couple of bulb shaped brushes and find them poor performers.

What's interesting is if someone just asked me if this were a fan or bulb, I'd probably say bulb, or a hybrid or something.

Thinking through this thread I've kind of started to wonder if what I don't like with fan brushes is actually a lot of loft with fan brushes. Maybe I'd like a fan brush with a really short loft? Now I'm a bit confused.

Top Bottom