What's new

Build Quality Omega 81052

Hey everyone, I had a question for anyone that has experienced water leaking problems. Specifically, my Omega 81052 that I have had for less than a week is beginning to show water leaks in the handle itself. I was wondering if any of you have had similar problems with the brush, and most importantly whether it poses a threat to the knot. If moisture is building up in there I can only imagine it's not a good thing for the handle.

Hey everyone, I had a question for anyone that has experienced water leaking problems. Specifically, my Omega 81052 that I have had for less than a week is beginning to show water leaks in the handle itself. I was wondering if any of you have had similar problems with the brush, and most importantly whether it poses a threat to the knot. If moisture is building up in there I can only imagine it's not a good thing for the handle.
Can you explain what you mean by "water leaks in the handle"?

What is your pre and post shave routine with your brush?

Are you soaking the entire brush in water before you shave?

Try to soak only the bristles in a mug or glass of water, leave the handle out of the water. That handle has a seam and I'm not sure it is watertight. Try hanging your brush with the bristles downward to dry it.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think a photo might help. If you could indicate where it's leaking from. AFAIK, Omega puts there knot in a plastic cup, that is then essentially mounted in the handle, so if water is coming out of the handle, it would seem the handle must be cracked and maybe the knot cup is too, allowing water into the handle?

Pre-shave routine consists of soaking the bristles in water for 5-6 minutes, about 3/4 up; by no means submerging the handle. Post-shave consists of rinsing out soap, a little squeeze, and rubbing bristles in a circular motion on a towel for two minutes. I noticed the leaking however during the shave, and even then the handle was at no point submerged in water. With regards to where it appears to be leaking, it seems to be from the top of the handle, around where the bristles are. I haven't noticed any cracks in the handle, but this is the second 81052 this has happened to. First one was shipped back for a replacement.

I think a photo might help. If you could indicate where it's leaking from.

You can see how water can enter this handle...

omega-brush-1.png

I can’t speak to the 81052, but on the 10066 and the 49 pro, the knot is set in a black plastic ring that has little clips that grab the hole in the handle. There was no glue or other seal that I could discern between that ring and the handle. The fit seemed pretty tight, but I could see if you had your brush submerged past the handle, a little water might get in. I don’t usually dunk mine that deep.

IMO for a $10 -20 brush that performs as well as an Omega boar, it wouldn’t break my heart to replace it every couple years. But my pro is going on 2.5 years and shows no signs of degrading.

You can see how water can enter this handle...

View attachment 1227888
Upon closer inspection I can absolutely see how it could enter through the seam, but its actually entering through the top of the handle. Again, I do not put the brush in its entirety in water. I'll include a picture below.

Also, the Semogue 610 does look nice, but I thought I'd give the 81052 a shot. I have a 10098 that has served me well, and I use Omega Shaving Cream (more like a croap) regularly, so I'm just surprised this has happened in an Omega.
IMG_0114.JPG

IMO for a $10 -20 brush that performs as well as an Omega boar, it wouldn’t break my heart to replace it every couple years. But my pro is going on 2.5 years and shows no signs of degrading.
I guess, but I just hoped it would have better build quality. My 10098 has served me well for over a year and has shown no signs of degrading either.

...Also, the Semogue 610 does look nice, but I thought I'd give the 81052 a shot. I have a 10098 that has served me well...
View attachment 1227915
I've got two Omega boar brushes 10049 and 11137 that have been great. It's just some of the handles they have in their line seem to have issues. I've also got Semogue 610, 620, 1250 and C5 Torga boars that have been very good, though they can take a long time to break in.

I've got two Omega boar brushes 10049 and 11137 that have been great. It's just some of the handles they have in their line seem to have issues. I've also got Semogue 610, 620, 1250 and C5 Torga boars that have been very good, though they can take a long time to break in.
I've heard good things about the 10049, it's on my wishlist. I'll admit the handles do not compare to Semogue handles for example, but it doesn't bother me. My 10098 has plenty of shallow scratches in it but it still functions well, which is most important. I just worry this water issue with my 81052 will generate lots of internal moisture and threaten the integrity of the knot.

I've heard good things about the 10049, it's on my wishlist. I'll admit the handles do not compare to Semogue handles for example, but it doesn't bother me. My 10098 has plenty of shallow scratches in it but it still functions well, which is most important. I just worry this water issue with my 81052 will generate lots of internal moisture and threaten the integrity of the knot.
There is another Omega brush with the same knot as the 10049, but a nicer handle -- the Omega 20102. It is still only around $14 or so. This brush has a lot of fans. It looks like a tall loft, but the brush has enough backbone to keep it under control.
omega-20102.png

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used to toss the whole brush in the sink full of warm to hot water with the razor. I now only soak the bristles in a small salt pottery jar, with the handle out of the water. I have not had any issues with my brushes since doing this.

Top Bottom