What's new

Brut and Pinaud Clubman, smell the same?

V

VR6ofpain

I have been curious to try Brut's after shave balm, but keep reading about how Pinaud Clubman after shave smells like Brut. I rarely use my Pinaud Clubman AS since the smell is a little too powerful for me.

Do Brut products, specifically the ASB really smell like Pinaud Clubman AS?

Yes, the Pinaud and Brut do have alot of similarities but the ASB's scent is very pleasant and not overbearing at all. Great product and the scent is there but subtle.

Brut and Clubman have a similar base scent I think, but when applied they are very much different IMO. The Pinaud settles into a nice, rich, powdery, barbershop smell. Brut remains perfumy and 'over the top' if that makes sense. The high school kid who bathes in cologne kind of smell. They are different enough that you should try both and see which you enjoy. Personally I gave the Brut to my son, and kept the Pinaud.

I agree with Shep. The Clubman has a totally different smell when applied. I prefer the Clubman hands down.

Fuzzy

It's been a long time since I've used Brut (not since I was back in School) however it has a very distinctive smell. When I tried Clubman I can't say I was struck by any real similarity TBH.

There may be some similarities, but they are definitely not the same. As has been said, Clubman has more of a powdery fragrance to it. The barbershop scent of Clubman is the main reason I use it.

-Clarke

OldSaw

The wife's investment
After reading this I was not going to get any Clubman AS. However, when at the grocery store today, I saw that it was less than $3 a bottle. So I tossed one in the cart.

When I got home I splashed a little on just to try it out. When my wife got home she said, "Are you wearing Brute?" She took another whiff and decided that it wasn't quite as bad as Brute.

I wish I could afford to wear the good stuff, like Santa Maria Novella, every day. Then I wouldn't have to ever worry about any of this.

Next time I get the chance I'm going to try Brut again. I wonder if there is a difference between the US and UK version?

V

VR6ofpain

I can't stand my Clubman Pinaud AS, but I use it from time to time. Reminds me how much I hate it. It is "over the top" IMO. I guess Brut is down right death.

Glad I ran across this. I saw the Clubman AS and was thinking of ordering some samples of their hair tonic which is supposed to have the same sent. Think I'll just save my money and find something else. My wife can't stand Brut.

proxy.php

It's alive!!! My first necropsy

What is the powder scent in clubman from?

The Clubman is definitely stronger than Brut. As mentioned above they have similarities but Clubman wins hands down in my opinion. However, there are occasions where Clubman is too "loud".

As far as I know the US and UK versions of Brut are identical.

I will gladly dispose of any unwanted clubman bottles you guys have! :)
Brut reminds me of Jr. High. Never saw the two as similar.

The Clubman is definitely stronger than Brut. As mentioned above they have similarities but Clubman wins hands down in my opinion. However, there are occasions where Clubman is too "loud".

As far as I know the US and UK versions of Brut are identical.

Brut cologne in the glass bottle (it's huge!) is much stronger than the stuff in plastic bottles.

To me Brut and Pinaud Clubman are very different. I much prefer the smell of Clubman.

Brut and Clubman have a similar base scent I think, but when applied they are very much different IMO. The Pinaud settles into a nice, rich, powdery, barbershop smell. Brut remains perfumy and 'over the top' if that makes sense. The high school kid who bathes in cologne kind of smell. They are different enough that you should try both and see which you enjoy. Personally I gave the Brut to my son, and kept the Pinaud.

Pretty much this... However, I must say to the untrained nose or just about all our SWMBO's will think we are bathing in brut. It's such a shame because it's a damn fine aftershave and i love the scent. I think it smells very classy and I feel classy when I have it on, but in the back of my mind i'm a bit paranoid that everyone thinks i'm wearing a **** load of brut..

They have a similar base but still pretty easy to distinguish.

I like 'em both but nothing beats Pinaud Clubman.

Last edited:
Top Bottom