What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

I've been looking for some nice vintage brushes to re-knot and haven't seen many I like, or that looked like good candidates. I decided to look for vintage refurbs instead, and found this butterscotch bakelite Ever Ready handle with a new 22mm badger knot.

20220714_184954.jpg

Also grabbed this Lord Chesterfield faux ivory handle with a new 22mm "pure badger" knot.

20220714_184843.jpg

Not supposed to put this here really as I've not recieved it as yet. Ordered my second boar and hope this is more to my liking than the first. It's a mondial, not an expensive one but then I'm not too fussed about spending loads of money just love the functional things.
Definately have to put pics up when it comes now though.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I still have an unbleached Zenith boar on the way.. with the short black resin handle.... but it's lost somewhere in the black hole of international postal systems.... All I know is.... it has been processed "through" a facility in Madrid on July 8th.... nothing since then and it was shipped on June 22nd. The supply company has offered to send another one if it is actually lost..... They've been responsive. I'll wait it out...

I have my last brush for a while on the way as well..... a SV Cocobolo with the golden pewter crown.

I did buy a Bloody Basin Jasper w/ a Manchurian badger knot from Elite.... Bob does such beautiful work. The handle feels so good in the hand, perfectly polished, etc. I'm breaking in my SV Turtle Shell for a couple shaves, but Bob's is next.

Unless something unusual comes up, that should be my brush collection completion. I know, I know.. famous last words. <Eg>

Simpson Duke 2 - Best Badger

I sold a Duke 3 a couple months ago that I thought was a great brush, but it bloomed out to be a bit bigger than what I was wanting. I wished for it to either be more bulb shaped or just be smaller overall. Enter the Duke 2, which after using it today for the first time, is more to my liking in terms of knot size.

Picture was taken after the first time using it.
IMG_3399.JPG

Just picked up the Solar Flare from PAA and got it in already, what an awesome brush, I just like the butterscotch+white handle, and then the white synthetic knot just makes it look so classic and elegant. I've been using my Green Ray as the only brush in my collection for the last two plus years, and I gotta admit it's nice to have a change and I foresee myself using the Solar Flare a lot more in the immediate future. That, and also I think I'm going to pick up a few more of the PAA brushes, I just really like the way they look. They're all designed in a way that calls back to older brushes from brands like Ever-Ready and Erskine, and honest I just don't have the patience (or equipment) to restore vintage brushes, but maybe some day I'll get into that.

Top Bottom