What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

I've been mainly buying tinned pipe tobacco and haven't been transferring to jars yet, about how long should I expect a tin to keep this way? I've probably made the mistake of opening too many tins of different tobacco at once and not smoking them up fast enough.

Also, how many leading blends have Latakia in them, all the ones that sound good to me seem to be a lat blend.

My experience with the commercial tins is that after the initial seal is open, they are really only good for tobacco storage for a couple months, tops. Even at that point with some tins you'll find the tobacco significantly drier than it was when first opened. What I started doing is I'll get tins I want to sample, I'll open them, leave a small amount to sample in them, and I'll mason jar the rest of the tin for longer term storage. If I finish off my "sample tin" of the blend and really want more of it, I'll just grab the small jar and put it onto the current rotation shelf. I probably have 18-20 blends on that shelf at any given time.

As for how many leading blends have lat in them, anyone's guess is as good as mine would be. Not even sure how one could even begin to guess on that one.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Hello all. My name's Chris and I just joined B&B as a new wet shaver but I've been piping for 5 odd years so far. Started with a cob and something genreric and the collection has grow to 30-ish pipes and the same in pounds of baccy (well, the stuff I have inventoried...) I'm kind of cyclical on the pipes as I find them to be more of a fall/winter thing for me while summer is reserved for cigars. Probably because I like the heavy, nic laden blends like IF and 1792 Flake. I also have a weakness for the long gone blends and tend to hunt them obsessively (Think Ogden's St. Brunos Flake, Edgeworth Sliced, and the like). Still hunting for a tin of Punchbowle and Warrior Plug... :001_smile

Hello all. My name's Chris and I just joined B&B as a new wet shaver but I've been piping for 5 odd years so far. Started with a cob and something genreric and the collection has grow to 30-ish pipes and the same in pounds of baccy (well, the stuff I have inventoried...) I'm kind of cyclical on the pipes as I find them to be more of a fall/winter thing for me while summer is reserved for cigars. Probably because I like the heavy, nic laden blends like IF and 1792 Flake. I also have a weakness for the long gone blends and tend to hunt them obsessively (Think Ogden's St. Brunos Flake, Edgeworth Sliced, and the like). Still hunting for a tin of Punchbowle and Warrior Plug... :001_smile
Welcome to the BL! It sounds like you'll fit in just fine.

FYI St Bruno is now available on this side of the pond.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Welcome to the BL! It sounds like you'll fit in just fine.

FYI St Bruno is now available on this side of the pond.

Haha! :001_smile I have a tin inbound... Looking forward to doing a compairison with some from the 80s...

Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to pipe smoking, and since B&B has helped me gather info in many other areas I thought I ought to get involved here.
I bought myself an affordable briar pipe a couple years ago and some vanilla cavendish tobacco that was in a jar at the shop. I'm already gathering that there is much more I have to learn about tobacco. I started smoking a pipe as a way to just sit, unplug from constant stimulation, and reflect on my day. I enjoy the ritual of it. I would like to know much more though.
I'll probably continue to lurk to read what more knowledgeable members have to say. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to pipe smoking, and since B&B has helped me gather info in many other areas I thought I ought to get involved here.
I bought myself an affordable briar pipe a couple years ago and some vanilla cavendish tobacco that was in a jar at the shop. I'm already gathering that there is much more I have to learn about tobacco. I started smoking a pipe as a way to just sit, unplug from constant stimulation, and reflect on my day. I enjoy the ritual of it. I would like to know much more though.
I'll probably continue to lurk to read what more knowledgeable members have to say. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Welcome, Blitzkrieg. The fellas here are always happy to help fuel your obsession guide you along on your voyage of discovery. A good place to start would be here.

Take your time & enjoy yourself. :thumbup1:

Welcome to the Brown leaf! Lord knows the guys here have helped me lighten my wallet... I mean shown me the way down the rabbit hole... I mean ... ummm...

proxy.php

Welcome. This way please.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I didn't think to take a pipe with me, but I found some good lunting spots today.

A labyrinth.
$20160613_195241.jpg

A better view of the labyrinth. (That's my nephew going through.)
$20160613_200415~2.jpg

Some scenic woods...
$20160613_202913.jpg

... surrounding the ruins of old Fort Drummond.
$20160613_202621.jpg

And some of the scenery around the quarry.
$20160613_200508.jpg

Top Bottom