What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

Long Ashes fellow B.O.T.L's and S.O.T.L.'s

I'm recently returned to wet shaving and am new to B&B.
I've been enjoying cigars for about 8 years now.
I had sworn off all tobacco (chewing/dip) and had been tobacco free for over 2 years. I had been working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week for the better part of the last year. It was the 1st Saturday I had had off in a long time. I was driving down the road scrolling through my satellite radio stations as I was doing some put off errands and came across "Cigar Dave's" show. A caller calls in stating he had never tried a cigar and ask for advice on good 1st cigar. Dave recommended the Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real. As he described it and how relaxing it was, I thought man that sounds good! I was near a cigar store and decided I would go there and see if he had that cigar. The owner said sure, asked me what size, to which I replied "Size?". He helped me select a stick, showed me how to cut and light it correctly and told me how to enjoy it. I went home lit it up and I've been enjoying cigars ever since then. I have 2 humidors that I keep active at home, a 500 count and a 100 count desktop, and I'm a member at a local "Cigar Lounge" when I have a locker that I keep pretty full.
I don't really have a "favorite" stick, but I do have some go-to's. I'm more into medium, medium-full, and full bodied sticks. Although and occasional mild or flavored stick is enjoyed also.

Look forward to sharing and continuing my journey with The Brown Leaf posters.

Question how do you get the Brown Leaf Tag?

Long Ashes fellow B.O.T.L's and S.O.T.L.'s

I'm recently returned to wet shaving and am new to B&B.
I've been enjoying cigars for about 8 years now.
I had sworn off all tobacco (chewing/dip) and had been tobacco free for over 2 years. I had been working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week for the better part of the last year. It was the 1st Saturday I had had off in a long time. I was driving down the road scrolling through my satellite radio stations as I was doing some put off errands and came across "Cigar Dave's" show. A caller calls in stating he had never tried a cigar and ask for advice on good 1st cigar. Dave recommended the Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real. As he described it and how relaxing it was, I thought man that sounds good! I was near a cigar store and decided I would go there and see if he had that cigar. The owner said sure, asked me what size, to which I replied "Size?". He helped me select a stick, showed me how to cut and light it correctly and told me how to enjoy it. I went home lit it up and I've been enjoying cigars ever since then. I have 2 humidors that I keep active at home, a 500 count and a 100 count desktop, and I'm a member at a local "Cigar Lounge" when I have a locker that I keep pretty full.
I don't really have a "favorite" stick, but I do have some go-to's. I'm more into medium, medium-full, and full bodied sticks. Although and occasional mild or flavored stick is enjoyed also.

Look forward to sharing and continuing my journey with The Brown Leaf posters.

Question how do you get the Brown Leaf Tag?
Oh Man , I love Cigar Dave !!! haha ! Gentlemen the moment of the flame , prepare your appropriate Stick lighting system ...

Yeah Cigar Dave is Great ! I was waiting , you have to be registered 45 days , have 50 posts , yada , yada ... I'm at 41 days myself , can't for 4 more days ... . Oh Boy ! Mommy may I ! May I ! Please ! ... haha !

This is the only slow thing , I think I have going ... .

Madison Al !
You're not far ! Howdy Clyde ! How y'all doing ? Hope the storms didn't get you ! You beat me by 2 days Clyde ... 2 more days ... .

Last edited:
OK. I'm in. Gave up cigarettes about 7 years ago and need to find something to help me relax each evening.
Have ZERO knowledge of Pipes and really want to learn. Read the thread by Price about home blends, building 2 presses, etc. and was sold on giving this a try.
Any and all "Beginner's Info" would be appreciated...links to stores, do's and don'ts, and general info about pipes.
I spent an hour looking at pipes online and realized I don't understand what I am reading. I saw some Savinelli's that looked really nice, $100 + as a Newbie is a little overzealous.
Didn't know a thing about wet shaving a year ago and B&B was the Guiding Light. DFS every day now! I'm nothing if not coachable.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Welcome to this corner of B&B and don't be afraid to ask questions! Spend some time reading through the forum, there is a plethora of information in the threads.

The general recommendation is to keep it simple while you figure it out. An inexpensive pipe (I'd recommend a Missouri Meerschaum Cob pipe) and a pouch or Prince Albert, Half and Half, or Captain Black can get you started for under $20.

There are many good vendors out there. Check out 4noggins.com as one example.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
OK. I'm in. Gave up cigarettes about 7 years ago and need to find something to help me relax each evening.
Have ZERO knowledge of Pipes and really want to learn. Read the thread by Price about home blends, building 2 presses, etc. and was sold on giving this a try.
Any and all "Beginner's Info" would be appreciated...links to stores, do's and don'ts, and general info about pipes.
I spent an hour looking at pipes online and realized I don't understand what I am reading. I saw some Savinelli's that looked really nice, $100 + as a Newbie is a little overzealous.
Didn't know a thing about wet shaving a year ago and B&B was the Guiding Light. DFS every day now! I'm nothing if not coachable.

Think about getting a Brown Leaf badge (click on the Contribute tab at the top of the page). It costs $1 and doesn't expire. You would be amazed at the generosity of the guys that are here, trying to help out the new guy.

Welcome to this corner of B&B and don't be afraid to ask questions! Spend some time reading through the forum, there is a plethora of information in the threads.

The general recommendation is to keep it simple while you figure it out. An inexpensive pipe (I'd recommend a Missouri Meerschaum Cob pipe) and a pouch or Prince Albert, Half and Half, or Captain Black can get you started for under $20.

Think about getting a Brown Leaf badge (click on the Contribute tab at the top of the page). It costs $1 and doesn't expire. You would be amazed at the generosity of the guys that are here, trying to help out the new guy.

Good advice already here. Also, check out this thread - it's a sticky at the top of the Brown Leaf that has links to a whole bunch of good information for guys just starting out. Welcome to the Leaf!

Good advice already here. Also, check out this thread - it's a sticky at the top of the Brown Leaf that has links to a whole bunch of good information for guys just starting out. Welcome to the Leaf!

Thanks folks. Ready to jump in tomorrow with a lunchtime visit to local tobacco shop. Really appreciate this Forum and its members. Bought the BL Badge. Will start B&B Thread Research based on your suggestions.

Will try and keep questions to a minimum.

Thanks again and Happy New Year.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks folks. Ready to jump in tomorrow with a lunchtime visit to local tobacco shop. Really appreciate this Forum and its members. Bought the BL Badge. Will start B&B Thread Research based on your suggestions.

Don't worry about questions- the BL folks will answer all, regardless of repeats. This is a discussion forum.

Not a newbie to cigars, but I am to this forum... So hello all!

Don't smoke often anymore, but have a footlocker humidor filled with 2-300 cigars. Many gifts, many I spent way too much money one.

A few of my Favorite smokes are the 601 blue (Maduro)
Liga Privada (any of them really)
Camacho Triple Maduro

Hey, ask as many questions questions you want, there is a bunch of brothers here ready to help!

Hello all, I'm nick and have had a cigar problem for awhile now. I started smoke on motorcycle trips about 5-6 years ago I'd get a cohiba red dot or so and enjoy with friends around a fire. I guess about 3-4 years ago I got my first humidor and sampler to now having a couple of coolidors and around 800 sticks. I don't get to enjoy them as much anymore as me and the misses are expecting and trying to get the house ready. I still remember my first padron 1926 #1 natural on a bike trip. That is the cigar that hooked me and I still love padron. Will be having the newer padron with the conny wrapper tonight (the name slips my mind at the moment). Look forward to the discussions. Thanks for having me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hello all, I'm nick and have had a cigar problem for awhile now. I started smoke on motorcycle trips about 5-6 years ago I'd get a cohiba red dot or so and enjoy with friends around a fire. I guess about 3-4 years ago I got my first humidor and sampler to now having a couple of coolidors and around 800 sticks. I don't get to enjoy them as much anymore as me and the misses are expecting and trying to get the house ready. I still remember my first padron 1926 #1 natural on a bike trip. That is the cigar that hooked me and I still love padron. Will be having the newer padron with the conny wrapper tonight (the name slips my mind at the moment). Look forward to the discussions. Thanks for having me.
Welcome aboard.

Not a newbie to cigars, but I am to this forum... So hello all!

Don't smoke often anymore, but have a footlocker humidor filled with 2-300 cigars. Many gifts, many I spent way too much money one.

A few of my Favorite smokes are the 601 blue (Maduro)
Liga Privada (any of them really)
Camacho Triple Maduro
Welcome to the BL!

That's an interesting flavor profile you've got going on. I haven't tried the 601 yet. After reading a few reviews just now, I think it's worth grabbing a fiver.

Welcome to the BL!

That's an interesting flavor profile you've got going on. I haven't tried the 601 yet. After reading a few reviews just now, I think it's worth grabbing a fiver.

I don't have a fiver of them, but I have a few I know. I'd be more than happy to send you a few sticks (although I need to go back and read through the BL rules first)

I don't have a fiver of them, but I have a few I know. I'd be more than happy to send you a few sticks (although I need to go back and read through the BL rules first)
I hate to be the party pooper... but there's no selling, trading, or even giving of tobacco allowed here. Signing up for a Brown Leaf badge covers B&B legally and allows you to trade and PIF (no selling of course).

Top Bottom