What's new

Brown Leaf Newbie Check-In & General Chat

The convergence of free time and nice weather has finally occurred; today I will be able to start breaking in my new B&B Tinsky pipe. I have chosen Gawith Hoggarth & Co; Glengarry Flake to start the cake building process.

Here is the Tinsky family portrait, for now.........

$Tinsky Famly_02Oct2014.jpg

I'm rather annoyed that I can't enjoy the beautiful 70-80 degree weather around here lately, which is what I consider perfect pipe weather. I've had a nasty cough for the past week or so, and in the past couple of days it's turned into a full blown nasty cold.

I just can't get rid of this damned thing.

I'm rather annoyed that I can't enjoy the beautiful 70-80 degree weather around here lately, which is what I consider perfect pipe weather. I've had a nasty cough for the past week or so, and in the past couple of days it's turned into a full blown nasty cold.

I just can't get rid of this damned thing.

Hope you feel better and can take advantage of the nice weather.

FWIW, I always drink tea with some honey or a splash of lemon juice.

O.k. Fellas, I don't know if you will agree with this or not, but I much prefer my tobacco in moist snuff form. Particularly the Copenhagen brand Straight cut. To me there's nothing better after a fine meal than a good dip. Now I have smoked both cigars and pipes in the past. But I much prefer the straight to my blood stream relaxation that comes from a dip.

not to mention that I can enjoy my tobacco anywhere at anytime and no one is the wiser. Can't do that with a nice stogie.

anyway fun reading some of your posts, smoke'em if ya got'em.

I agree sir. I just can't gut most dips so I can't do it everywhere.. Now that I don't get underway I pretty much can't do it anywhere really..

Hi Gents!

Lately I've been a bit more into cigars, and ended up buying my first humidor - before I just used to buy a 3 or 5-pack and smoke them. This is the humidor I bought:

proxy.php

I'm quite happy with it, and have basically been filling it with Habanos, mainly Robustos and Pirámides, which are usually my favorite vitolas. :biggrin1:

Hi Gents!

Lately I've been a bit more into cigars, and ended up buying my first humidor - before I just used to buy a 3 or 5-pack and smoke them. This is the humidor I bought:

proxy.php

I'm quite happy with it, and have basically been filling it with Habanos, mainly Robustos and Pirámides, which are usually my favorite vitolas. :biggrin1:
Welcome to the BL. Good lookin' humidor, Monk. Enjoy it.

Quick introduction. I discovered B&B in my search for info on DE razors and wet shaving. I shaved like that when I started and now like the nostalgia of doing it again. I was thrilled to see the forum for brothers of the leaf! I smoked cigars for a few years and then transitioned to pipe smoking. Have been at it for some years now and it is an important and pleasant part of my day. I have collected dozens of pipes and find myself partial to rusticated Stanwells (as well as other makers), particularly bent dublins and bulldogs. I experimented with a variety of tobaccos when starting but now am pretty much a dedicated Virginia smoker, preferring Orlik Golden Sliced. On the shaving front I am looking forward to learning the art of the BBS with my newly acquired Merkur 34C and kit. Time for a pipe!

Last edited:
Hi Gents!

proxy.php

Quick introduction. I discovered B&B in my search for info on DE razors and wet shaving. I shaved like that when I started and now like the nostalgia of doing it again. I was thrilled to see the forum for brothers of the leaf! I smoked cigars for a few years and then transitioned to pipe smoking. Have been at it for some years now and it is an important and pleasant part of my day. I have collected dozens of pipes and find myself partial to rusticated Stanwells (as well as other makers), particularly bent dublins and bulldogs. I experimented with a variety of tobaccos when starting but now am pretty much a dedicated Virginia smoker, preferring Orlik Golden Sliced. On the shaving front I am looking forward to learning the art of the BBS with my newly acquired Merkur 34C and kit. Time for a pipe!

Welcome BOTL!

Glad to have you in the BL. Start a thread, make a poll have a good time! And remember, lots of pictures. :)

Started my journey into DE several months ago and then switched to straights which is how I found B&B.

I started on pipes for appx 2-3 yrs and then got hooked on cigs for 35+ yrs finally kicked the cigs via ecigs and now I am trying a pipe again. I have but one pipe a MM corn cob and a few OTC tobaccos Borkum Riff whiskey, PA, CH and some Smokers Pride Vanilla Cavendish the CH is the best of the bunch IMHO I am compiling a list of tobaccos to try and then placing a order.

Howdy

Just wanted to add that I sent a couple of my Zippos back for pipe inserts thank to a post in the BL. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Started my journey into DE several months ago and then switched to straights which is how I found B&B.

I started on pipes for appx 2-3 yrs and then got hooked on cigs for 35+ yrs finally kicked the cigs via ecigs and now I am trying a pipe again. I have but one pipe a MM corn cob and a few OTC tobaccos Borkum Riff whiskey, PA, CH and some Smokers Pride Vanilla Cavendish the CH is the best of the bunch IMHO I am compiling a list of tobaccos to try and then placing a order.

Howdy

Just wanted to add that I sent a couple of my Zippos back for pipe inserts thank to a post in the BL. Thanks for the tip.

Welcome back. :thumbup:

Howdy

Welcome back! Glad to hear that you could kick the nails.

Be sure to share your Tobacquisitions in the monthly sticky. And remember, lots of pics :)

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
So, I'm reading "My Lady Nicotine," by J.M. Barrie, and several times I've seen references to men grabbing a cigar from the box on the table, but never have I seen the word "humidor." The box could certainly be a humidor, but I'm coming away with the impression that it was literally just a box of cigars. I once read somewhere (I can't find it now, and it was just a forum post anyway) that the British didn't use humidors at the time. So what about their cigars? Were dry-cured cigars more common then, or did they just smoke dried up old cigars?

So, I'm reading "My Lady Nicotine," by J.M. Barrie, and several times I've seen references to men grabbing a cigar from the box on the table, but never have I seen the word "humidor." The box could certainly be a humidor, but I'm coming away with the impression that it was literally just a box of cigars. I once read somewhere (I can't find it now, and it was just a forum post anyway) that the British didn't use humidors at the time. So what about their cigars? Were dry-cured cigars more common then, or did they just smoke dried up old cigars?
I can't speak for the books examples, but dry cured cigars are very popular in Europe. I also suspect that until more recent times, people just smoked old dried out cigars because they didn't know any different.

I started wet shaving back in 2008 or so. First I tried straight razors but it was a failure then I switched back to DE safety razors then I grew a beard for 3 long years and now I am back again into wet shaving trying to succeed eventually with straight razors. Check my cheesy journal if you have time to lose.

I was a cigarette smoker like 9 or 10 years ago and I quit. I fell again into cigarettes a few months ago right after I suffered from a burn-out at my job. Trying to quit again (and I am writing that with a portion snus under my lip haha!)

I used to enjoy cigars once in a while, mostly Cuban brands like Punch, Partagas, Ramon Allones, H. Upmann., Saint Luis Rey, Juan Lopez; but it has been a long time since I smoked a good cigar. Two years ago, I was introduced to snus by a Swedish friend. Like cigars, it is a pleasure I mostly enjoy from time to time.

Never tried pipes or tobacco forms other than the ones mentioned above.

And I am über fond of tobacco-scented fragrances.

Not sure if I will post a lot in the Brown Leaf, will try to do my best.

I started wet shaving back in 2008 or so. First I tried straight razors but it was a failure then I switched back to DE safety razors then I grew a beard for 3 long years and now I am back again into wet shaving trying to succeed eventually with straight razors. Check my cheesy journal if you have time to lose.

I was a cigarette smoker like 9 or 10 years ago and I quit. I fell again into cigarettes a few months ago right after I suffered from a burn-out at my job. Trying to quit again (and I am writing that with a portion snus under my lip haha!)

I used to enjoy cigars once in a while, mostly Cuban brands like Punch, Partagas, Ramon Allones, H. Upmann., Saint Luis Rey, Juan Lopez; but it has been a long time since I smoked a good cigar. Two years ago, I was introduced to snus by a Swedish friend. Like cigars, it is a pleasure I mostly enjoy from time to time.

Never tried pipes or tobacco forms other than the ones mentioned above.

And I am über fond of tobacco-scented fragrances.

Not sure if I will post a lot in the Brown Leaf, will try to do my best.

Welcome Phil!

There are plenty of cigar lovers in the BL. And if you're interested in getting a pipe, well, we can help you with that too!

Welcome and don't fight the pipe. Let its romantic charm lull you into the slippery slope of PAD (pipe acquisition disorder) and live the rest of your years with the greatest hobby you would have never dreamt existed. Or something like that. :)

Top Bottom