What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

*Congrats on the New Criterion. They are very nice shavers. Good luck with the QCS as i am sure the 1800 will do a fine job of it.

I just had my first shave with an OC Razor. I loaded up a Feather into my NEW Deluxe Criterion as identified by Alex & MacDaddy (thank you again) and whipped up some QCS Iced Key Lime. I got a great comfortable shave, I'm not sure if it's a close as my Aristocrats but I'll see how it feels tomorrow when I wake up. I had only a very small amount of razorburn on the bottom of my neck where it usually shows up and it was great at mowing down the little hairs on my bottom lip. I have to be honest, I was a little taken aback when I saw the initial blade exposure before I tightened the cap down. That took it down a little but it still looked like a lot of blade sticking out but it gave a very comfortable shave which seemed to be a little louder when I was on my cheeks. The weight was nice too, it felt good & solid in my hand and was easy to use, but enough of my prattling, here's the pic!

*Well, here is a picture of the Ufo handle that i have been waiting for for the last two months. Rafael does magnificent work. Unfortunately, i only have two heads to use it with. Oh well, maybe i should get some more three piece OCs. This is going to be my SOTD picture for tomorrow, so you guys get a preview. The model is a U2V1, 12mm diameter, 80mm length.

Attachments

• $sotd.JPG
    $sotd.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
As some of you know I was the lucky one who has been PIFed a Gillette New OC razor by Gingerweir. And following rules of this PIF I'm reporting about my shaves with it.

Shave #14

Pre: Proraso Pre (Old formulation)
Cream: Figaro
Brush: Geo. F. Trumper pure badger brush
Razor: Gillette New obviously
Blade: Feather (2)
Aftershave: Witch Hazel, 444 + Osage Rub

Second shave with a Feather was an improvement - no razor burn this time. Of course shave quality depends on combination of things, not just razor or blade. And this time it was a good combination. Tried Figaro SC which is Hungarian but came to me all the way from the States :) The scent was a bit unusual but not unpleasant. The cream itself was great and made a great lather. 444 mixed with Osage Rub did a great finishing work too.
Nice shave.

Shave #15

Soap: Mama Bear's Ye Olde Barbershop
Blade: Gillette Super Thin Platinum (Vietnam)
Aftershave: Witch Hazel, Osage Rub

Tried a Super Thin for the first time. After the Feather it didn't me impress me at all. It wasn't nowhere as sharp and it wasn't smooth either. But after three passes I achieved result I was happy with. Also it was my second shave with Mama Bear's YOB soap and it's hard for me to decide what I think about it. I face-lathered it and the lather didn't feel very slick or protecting. It also felt a slight burning sensation both times I used it. I'll give it one more try after a few shaves and if it feels the same I'll have to PIF it in the never ending PIF thread.
Average shave.

I just had my first shave with an OC Razor. I loaded up a Feather into my NEW Deluxe Criterion as identified by Alex & MacDaddy (thank you again) and whipped up some QCS Iced Key Lime. I got a great comfortable shave, I'm not sure if it's a close as my Aristocrats but I'll see how it feels tomorrow when I wake up. I had only a very small amount of razorburn on the bottom of my neck where it usually shows up and it was great at mowing down the little hairs on my bottom lip. I have to be honest, I was a little taken aback when I saw the initial blade exposure before I tightened the cap down. That took it down a little but it still looked like a lot of blade sticking out but it gave a very comfortable shave which seemed to be a little louder when I was on my cheeks. The weight was nice too, it felt good & solid in my hand and was easy to use, but enough of my prattling, here's the pic!
View attachment 258899
Your welcome , it was hard to ID due to not seeing the flat bottom plate which easily describes it as a New Deluxe and not a NEW.....The neck area can be hard, use less pressure and a steeper angle with baby hook strokes.

*Congrats on the New Criterion. They are very nice shavers. Good luck with the QCS as i am sure the 1800 will do a fine job of it.

*Well, here is a picture of the Ufo handle that i have been waiting for for the last two months. Rafael does magnificent work. Unfortunately, i only have two heads to use it with. Oh well, maybe i should get some more three piece OCs. This is going to be my SOTD picture for tomorrow, so you guys get a preview. The model is a U2V1, 12mm diameter, 80mm length.
Beauty of a handle...now load her up

As some of you know I was the lucky one who has been PIFed a Gillette New OC razor by Gingerweir. And following rules of this PIF I'm reporting about my shaves with it.

Shave #14

Cream: Figaro
Blade: Feather (2)
Aftershave: Witch Hazel, 444 + Osage Rub

Second shave with a Feather was an improvement - no razor burn this time. Of course shave quality depends on combination of things, not just razor or blade. And this time it was a good combination. Tried Figaro SC which is Hungarian but came to me all the way from the States :) The scent was a bit unusual but not unpleasant. The cream itself was great and made a great lather. 444 mixed with Osage Rub did a great finishing work too.
Nice shave.

Shave #15

Soap: Mama Bear's Ye Olde Barbershop
Blade: Gillette Super Thin Platinum (Vietnam)
Aftershave: Witch Hazel, Osage Rub

Tried a Super Thin for the first time. After the Feather it didn't me impress me at all. It wasn't nowhere as sharp and it wasn't smooth either. But after three passes I achieved result I was happy with. Also it was my second shave with Mama Bear's YOB soap and it's hard for me to decide what I think about it. I face-lathered it and the lather didn't feel very slick or protecting. It also felt a slight burning sensation both times I used it. I'll give it one more try after a few shaves and if it feels the same I'll have to PIF it in the never ending PIF thread.
Average shave.
Neriju, you may have to stick to 1 blade for that about the average shave. The blades are each different and your skin needs adjustment.

Neriju, you may have to stick to 1 blade for that about the average shave. The blades are each different and your skin needs adjustment.
I understand what you mean Alex, but one of the rules of the PIF through which I received the razor was that I have to give that Gillette NEW at least a months worth of shaving and describe my shaves trying different blades in that razor. I honour the rule and stick to it. I already have some blades that I've liked more than others and I'll give them more use after I finish this Odyssey. Besides, I don't know if my reports were interesting to BOTOC members, but I'm sure they would be even less interesting if I report on same blade for 20 shaves :biggrin1:
I shaved with the NEW almost exclusively for more than a month and I miss my other razors already. There were one or two shaves with Injector M, one shave with 40s SuperSpeed and one shave with Fusion cart during that time.

Last edited:
So go my New yesterday. Looks awesome (besides the 80% crack), to me it looks like most of the gold plating is still there. Cleaned it up, mixed up some epoxy, and used a long thin screw that ran the entire length of the handle plus a little into the receiving end. Clamped it up and left it overnight. I'll post pictures later after i clean it up. Even though i thought i was being pretty good about wiping up the excess epoxy a little bit must have leaked where i didn't see it. Crack was really bad too so it's not really pretty where the crack was but couldn't get it closer without buckling the handle. Tried scrapping the epoxy off and while i got a little bit off i think it took the finish with it (whoops!) so i'll try just using some polish later. It's ok though, the handle feels right and the head looks great!

Anyway shaved with it this morning. It's funny, felt aggressive while shaving but didn't get roughed up like it was aggressive. Going to give it a few more tries before I have an opinion though! Though still looking at Old and New Improved's on the bay...

Why do I PM bluesbishop? Is there a group or something that he manages?

I believe it is a long-comb. Check out my thread here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...few-extra-pics-of-my-new-shaving-mug-and-more)

I actually have an old type and a milady but I haven't tried them yet.

Because Ken (Bluesbishop) is the ΘΣ of Open Comb Shaving and Founder of BOTOC (Brotherhood of the Open Comb). While people have been shaving with open combs before we where born, without Ken there would have never been BOTOC, so that is why.

Last edited:
I wash shaving with my Fav Razor (R41) and happend to see what looked like a WARNING on an Old Spice product. I looked again to find: "If your grandfather hadn't worn it, you wouldn't exist". Too funny!

I understand what you mean Alex, but one of the rules of the PIF through which I received the razor was that I have to give that Gillette NEW at least a months worth of shaving and describe my shaves trying different blades in that razor. I honour the rule and stick to it. I already have some blades that I've liked more than others and I'll give them more use after I finish this Odyssey. Besides, I don't know if my reports were interesting to BOTOC members, but I'm sure they would be even less interesting if I report on same blade for 20 shaves :biggrin1:
I shaved with the NEW almost exclusively for more than a month and I miss my other razors already. There were one or two shaves with Injector M, one shave with 40s SuperSpeed and one shave with Fusion cart during that time.
I love the Superspeed shaves, very mild yet effective powerhouses...Also the M is great, I had M and a G type, they are like mini Superspeeds in shave results.

So go my New yesterday. Looks awesome (besides the 80% crack), to me it looks like most of the gold plating is still there. Cleaned it up, mixed up some epoxy, and used a long thin screw that ran the entire length of the handle plus a little into the receiving end. Clamped it up and left it overnight. I'll post pictures later after i clean it up. Even though i thought i was being pretty good about wiping up the excess epoxy a little bit must have leaked where i didn't see it. Crack was really bad too so it's not really pretty where the crack was but couldn't get it closer without buckling the handle. Tried scrapping the epoxy off and while i got a little bit off i think it took the finish with it (whoops!) so i'll try just using some polish later. It's ok though, the handle feels right and the head looks great!

Anyway shaved with it this morning. It's funny, felt aggressive while shaving but didn't get roughed up like it was aggressive. Going to give it a few more tries before I have an opinion though! Though still looking at Old and New Improved's on the bay...

we shall wait for more results and insight from you.....

I read her @ the BOTOC family, that a lot of my brothers likes heavy handles. So here is the story.
ONE of my favorite razors is a Tech with a fat handle (shhhh ... don't tell this to "bluesbishop").
I like it's handle very much, I think it is a piece of art. I actually use it for testing blades. The only thing wrong with this razor is the weight, only 50,6 grams.
This is far from enough since I've got my iKon bulldog handle and since a Tradere too, but they just don't fit into the Tech design, I think.
I ordered some tungsten (this kind, which fishermen use). I received it today and just couldn't wait.
I grabbed my Tech, took the handle off, made some thin "worms" out the tungsten and pushed them inside the handle with drill for metal.
I filled the handle about 2/3 of the space inside. 20 grams of tungsten disappeared in the hole.
So, now, I have a monster edition of a Tech (70,6 grams) with a beautiful handle and a weight, that makes it feel really cool in my hand.

I really recommend the procedure.

Happy "monstering" your handles, brothers and sisters.

Top Bottom