What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

I had one that I replated that the handle didn't screw apart. Based on the brass and solid construction it's probably from the 40's-60's.
This one actually did screw apart! I think I'll also get mine replated since I think it's a really neat razor but I actually kind of like the brass look of it but it's always nice with something shiny. Can you have it plated in anything that's nice and shiny but not just "silver" like rhodium, chrome and nickel? Gold looks neat but seems like it is harder to take care of.

First post in this thread and just recently started using a Gillette New variant. All I want to say is wow. The way it feels and shaves is great. I'm enjoying this more than the 70s SS, EJ89, Gem Push-button and ball tech I've used so far. The verdict is still out but I might have narrowed my search down to a type of razor.

First post in this thread and just recently started using a Gillette New variant. All I want to say is wow. The way it feels and shaves is great. I'm enjoying this more than the 70s SS, EJ89, Gem Push-button and ball tech I've used so far. The verdict is still out but I might have narrowed my search down to a type of razor.

Sweet. Welcome to the fold. Send a PM to Ken (bluesbishop) and get BOTOC in your sig. Then join us in this thread for lots of OC talk and other stuff. Did you get a long-comb NEW or a short-comb NEW? Or by "variant" do you mean you got a NEW Deluxe or something like that? Fill us in.

Sweet. Welcome to the fold. Send a PM to Ken (bluesbishop) and get BOTOC in your sig. Then join us in this thread for lots of OC talk and other stuff. Did you get a long-comb NEW or a short-comb NEW? Or by "variant" do you mean you got a NEW Deluxe or something like that? Fill us in.

Why do I PM bluesbishop? Is there a group or something that he manages?

I believe it is a long-comb. Check out my thread here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...few-extra-pics-of-my-new-shaving-mug-and-more)

I actually have an old type and a milady but I haven't tried them yet.

*Congrats on your first post and welcome to our secret tree-house. Good luck with the OCs and feel free to inquire about anything.

Not sure about that. Gillette originally plated the razors when they were fully assembled.

I stand to be corrected but I understand that when a razor is replated, the razor is dipped in a solution that dissolves the old plating and it is then dipped in a plating solution without being taken apart. I understand as well that ontomon will partially disassemble fatboys, and just the doors, but he doesn't disassemble other razors. And so the plating will adhere to all metal surfaces inside and out.
that's just the fatboy, many other razors have many other parts that not replated

I posted a thread about some ID'ing help in the General shaving forum as it had several different kinds of razors but one of the old razors I found in a box containing my grandfather and great grandfathers shaving equpment happens to be an open comb razor so I wonder if any of you OC-fanatics could ID it for me!
It has no visible markings indicating the manufacturer.

View attachment 258799View attachment 258800View attachment 258801

It is most likely a German travel razor. The distinct style and handle is a dead give-away.

Right, and likely there will be no further information available about it.

What Randall and the others said....these are hard to pin point. Cases and buyers origination place can help

Why do I PM bluesbishop? Is there a group or something that he manages?
Why Pm Ken...its all about the ring
proxy.php

I posted a thread about some ID'ing help in the General shaving forum as it had several different kinds of razors but one of the old razors I found in a box containing my grandfather and great grandfathers shaving equpment happens to be an open comb razor so I wonder if any of you OC-fanatics could ID it for me!
It has no visible markings indicating the manufacturer.
]

As others have mentioned, it's pretty tough to ID these. There appears to be oodles of them made..all very similar, or identical in construction, often in small silver or nickle plated travel boxes. Given how similar they were, it certainly would seem to reason that there was a common manufacturer...or maybe they were just made to spec for the government or some such. The modern Merkur open comb travel razor is nearly identical as well.

I just had my first shave with an OC Razor. I loaded up a Feather into my NEW Deluxe Criterion as identified by Alex & MacDaddy (thank you again) and whipped up some QCS Iced Key Lime. I got a great comfortable shave, I'm not sure if it's a close as my Aristocrats but I'll see how it feels tomorrow when I wake up. I had only a very small amount of razorburn on the bottom of my neck where it usually shows up and it was great at mowing down the little hairs on my bottom lip. I have to be honest, I was a little taken aback when I saw the initial blade exposure before I tightened the cap down. That took it down a little but it still looked like a lot of blade sticking out but it gave a very comfortable shave which seemed to be a little louder when I was on my cheeks. The weight was nice too, it felt good & solid in my hand and was easy to use, but enough of my prattling, here's the pic!
$20120719_002032.jpg

Hahaha, you've got a mind like mine I see! That's my snurdle of QCS, I have a beard and really only do 1 1/2 passes so I don't need a ton (and I suck at brushloading this stuff).

Top Bottom