What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

23-FEB SOTD

SOTN 2019-02-23D.jpg

PRE: Hot water sponge soak, Grooming Dept Preshave
BOWL: JaysClay Large Blue Grip
BRUSH: Stirling Finest 24mm Fan
SOAP: Lisa's Amber Tobacco (Beef Tallow)
RAZOR: Fatip Grande (Mk 2), Kai SS
POST: Warm water rinse, Thayer's Witch Hazel Toner, Grooming Dept Rejuvenating Serum, Curzon Cologne​

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
SOTD 2-27-19
Pre: Castle Forbes Pre Shave - Unscented
Soap: Fine Fresh Vetiver shave soap
Razor: Schone OC gold
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Vulfix 1016 Pure Badger

DSCF0010 - Edited.jpg

27-FEB SOTD
SOTD 2019-02-27D.jpg

BRUSH: DSCosmetic Galaxy, 26mm 2B ST
SOAP: Lisa's Somali Rose (Beef Tallow)
RAZOR: Gillette NEW Long Comb, Kai SS
POST: Warm water rinse, Stirling Ben Franklin Witch Hazel & Aloe, Grooming Dept Rejuvenating Serum, Penguin Premium Blend​

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I'm trying out a new Pearl OC. Should be more aggressive than my Schone and Gillette.
SUNDAY
Pre: Pears soap & hot wash cloth
Soap: Arko
Razor: Pearl SSH-01 OC gold
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Yaqi R1605-S Resin Tuxedo Synth

DSCF0019 - Edited.jpg

02-MAR SOTN
SOTD 2019-03-02N.jpg

BRUSH: DSCosmetic Galaxy, 26mm 2B ST
SOAP: T+S Boreal
RAZOR: Gillette NEW Long Comb, Med Prep
POST: Residual Lather, Warm water rinse, Penhaligon's Juniper Sling EDT

Added two OCs to the stable recently: a British Velvet and a Merkur Solingen with an Adams imprint.
Velvet OC razor.jpg
Old Merkur.jpg

The Velvet, is a clone (or copy) of the Gillette Old Type and shaves like one. The Merkur/Adams is a mild, efficient, and well balanced razor, like all of my other Merkurs.

SOTD - Karve OC-C test flight

Karve 3” with OC-C plate
Polsilver (4)
Arko stick in a mug
The Superior Shave unbranded boar - face lather then full Arko guy paint job

620DDDB9-4045-4B8F-AB9D-2E48B9CA0B25.jpeg

Shower then shave, I was headed out so no dawdling, even though this was the long-awaited test drive with an OC plate. As is my practice, I did not load a brand new blade for the first shave with new hardware. This is my first Polsilver SI blade, not in love yet.

The shave felt very smooth, smoothest yet with the Polsilver. Two passes plus touch up got me where I wanted to be. The touch up on my neck was more prolonged than I desired, but I debited that to the blade’s account. The alum gave a little feedback, also par for my few Polsilver shaves. I tossed the blade in the can, not because it was done but because I want to open a second Polsilver and see if I like it better. It has a good rep.

As for the Karve OC plate, it was everything I hoped. All the same geometry and blade grip as the SB plates, no poking or irritation from the well-finished teeth. Not sure that there will be a great difference between a Karve OC and SB, but OC - that’s how I roll.

OC -C
4A6CE760-753E-4631-9BF4-900B4C7DF86A.jpeg

SB-C
69BCFE59-71F2-40E3-9F48-1349A84E21AA.jpeg

C740F984-EE1A-448F-9591-1A25BFCD6D41.jpeg
0C0CE96F-278A-441F-BB84-54B611BBA40B.jpeg

Been a while since I’ve posted but I hope all of you have been well I’m still loving my R41 (2013 I believe) and love using it every day.

Buuuut, Why???? :001_07: :a21:
I only had 6 :) I did a newbie PIF with a Slim. And will PIF a Maggard slant head once I have an item or 2 to add to it. Like maybe a repaired ball handle :)

I was "choosing" to use them every blue moon because I wasn't generally wanting to use them. I'll pick up other razors over time, then see if I use them regularly. Next razor will probably be either on OC slant, or an OC TTO.

I only had 6 :) I did a newbie PIF with a Slim. And will PIF a Maggard slant head once I have an item or 2 to add to it. Like maybe a repaired ball handle :)

I was "choosing" to use them every blue moon because I wasn't generally wanting to use them. I'll pick up other razors over time, then see if I use them regularly. Next razor will probably be either on OC slant, or an OC TTO.

Never tried a slant what didn't you like about it.

SOTD - Karve OC-C test flight

Karve 3” with OC-C plate
Polsilver (4)
Arko stick in a mug
The Superior Shave unbranded boar - face lather then full Arko guy paint job

View attachment 959903

Shower then shave, I was headed out so no dawdling, even though this was the long-awaited test drive with an OC plate. As is my practice, I did not load a brand new blade for the first shave with new hardware. This is my first Polsilver SI blade, not in love yet.

The shave felt very smooth, smoothest yet with the Polsilver. Two passes plus touch up got me where I wanted to be. The touch up on my neck was more prolonged than I desired, but I debited that to the blade’s account. The alum gave a little feedback, also par for my few Polsilver shaves. I tossed the blade in the can, not because it was done but because I want to open a second Polsilver and see if I like it better. It has a good rep.

As for the Karve OC plate, it was everything I hoped. All the same geometry and blade grip as the SB plates, no poking or irritation from the well-finished teeth. Not sure that there will be a great difference between a Karve OC and SB, but OC - that’s how I roll.

OC -C
View attachment 959920

SB-C
View attachment 959921

View attachment 959932 View attachment 959933
thanks for the review, it's very tempting right now

I don't know how you do it. :a20: I went out looking for a slim. Now I have so many vintage razors I would only be able to use one particular razor 3 times a year if I rotated them all and shaved daily.:clap:. Must be what they call the Rad?
Mighty generous of you to PIF a slim.:a47:

I don't know how you do it. :a20: I went out looking for a slim. Now I have so many vintage razors I would only be able to use one particular razor 3 times a year if I rotated them all and shaved daily.:clap:. Must be what they call the Rad?
Mighty generous of you to PIF a slim.:a47:

It cost less than a high end soap, about what I spend on soaps. $10-15. Not as common as Gems at antique malls, but I find them on occasion. It was the persons birthyear razor, which is what I was wanting to happen.

It cost less than a high end soap, about what I spend on soaps. $10-15. Not as common as Gems at antique malls, but I find them on occasion. It was the persons birthyear razor, which is what I was wanting to happen.
I haven't made the jump to high end yet. I'm a 3017er when it comes to soap. :)

Top Bottom