What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Schone-Marvel on Atlas handle .
proxy.php

Sunday OC Shave:
Pearl SSH-02 Black OC / Treet Classic (3)
Omega 11137 boar
TFS Mattino soap
Cella after shave lotion

proxy.php

Today's OC Shave:
Hot shower prep
Maggard v2 OC head + MR22 razor handle
Astra SS blade (1)
SOC Cherry Wood boar
Stirling Electric Sheep shave soap
Stirling Electric Sheep aftershave splash

proxy.php

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
SOTD 2-14-19
Pre-shave: Castle Forbes - Unscented
Soap: Fine Fresh Vetiver in vintage mug
Razor: Gillette gold NEW Long Comb ball end handle
Blade: Astra SP (1}
Brush: Vulfix 1016 Pure Badger
After-shave: Fine Fresh Vetiver

DSCF0063 - Edited (1).jpg

Just got an email from Karve:
"Open comb plates will be available Friday February 22 at 17:00 MST"

I did not get the announcement or a newsletter, perhaps because signed up for emails rather recently. However, I like and follow Christopher's facebook page and noticed the release announcement on my facebook feed.

I messaged him to request the newsletter, but he surely must be a very busy camper today. Can someone please outline the newsletter content and any open comb specs or advice for customers? -- Thanks.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Which OC plate should I choose?
If you've used a Christopher Bradley razor, you're already familiar with the different levels of plates. Like the original SB plate, the OC plate is available in the same 7 levels (from least aggressive to most aggressive):

AA, A, B, C, D, E, and F

However, these levels are based on the actual blade geometry, not shaving performance. So, a given level OC plate is not going to feel identical to as the same level SB plate.

During testing, a rule of thumb quickly became apparent:

If you want to maintain a similar level of aggressiveness,
drop down one level when moving from SB to OC.

For example, an SB-C plate will be similar to an OC-B plate.

And, for you wet shavers that didn't think that the SB-F plate was aggressive enough, the OC-F plate is effectively an SB-G plate!

Will these new plates fit my current Karve razor?
In one word - yes!

All of the components that make up the Christopher Bradley razor are manufactured in our shop to controlled tolerances and the OC plates are no different. Any Christopher Bradley plate will fit into any Christopher Bradley razor, regardless of when it was manufactured.
5af82e5f-5f1a-41b3-8d42-8e7e799e6536 - Edited.png

How much does it cost?
Pricing for the OC plate is the same as for the SB plate:

• complete razor, with one plate - $99 to $109
  • each additional plate - $30
All prices are in Canadian dollars
This is my first Karve razor...which plate should I choose?
To choose an SB plate, compare the blade gap of your current razor to the blade gap list for the SB plates here. If you don't have a measurement, you might be able to find it online or you'll need to determine it yourself (with a set of feeler gages).

To chose an OC plate, do the same blade gap comparison as you would for an SB plate and then drop down one level.

Keep in mind these are guidelines and everyone is a little different, so stepping up or down in the levels is perfectly acceptable.

If you need help choosing a plate, please send me a message.

This is my first safety razor ever - which plate should I choose?
Most people using a safety razor for the first time can start with the SB-B plate. If you have specific problems that you are trying to manage (such as sensitivity or razor burn), you can start with an SB-A or an SB-AA plate, depending on the severity of the issue.

Higher level plates are definitely OK for beginners - safety razors require control of contact pressure and cutting angle to function properly and the higher level plates are more sensitive to good form.

Again, if you need help choosing a plate, please feel free to send a message.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
More info from Karve email;

df681a73-8ee0-4df4-a34a-84252fba4862.png

'm really excited about the open combs...they've been in development for a little while now and I've really been enjoying my test shaves! I'm also really happy with their appearance - I wanted fatter fingers and wider gaps, but I also wanted to make sure that I didn't remove too much of the safety bar. Mission accomplished, I say!

And thanks to all my testers and your feedback!

Normally, I make these emails short and to the point, but I'm going to go into more detail for this one. Not only for those of you that have been waiting for this release, but also for the beginner wet shavers out there reading this.
What is an open comb plate?
Every safety razor has a bar situated below the blade that protects your skin during shaving (this is the 'safety' in safety razor).

Rather than a unbroken bar like on a solid bar (SB) plate, an open comb (OC) plate employs a series of fingers to create this barrier. OC plates get their name from their appearance - the fingers look like a comb.

076b27ef-3271-4384-9308-8c130e8f2401 - Edited.png

b0893195-d45d-4ea3-a55a-eeb709043d53 - Edited.png

Fata/BIC (1). A mild razor requiring some pressure and attention to angle but ultimately an excellent shave. Sharp BIC is a good match. Results better than my last LC shaves but it could just be the marvelous silver plate having its way with me.
proxy.php

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
SOTD 2-22-19
Pre: Hot cloth
Soap: Pre de Provence shave soap
Razor: Gillette gold NEW Long Comb ball end handle
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Vulfix 1016 Pure Badge

DSCF0093 - Edited (2).jpg

@jmudrick and @Klinker those are nice looking setups.
I had a dueling open comb Duo today.
Gem MMOC vs Gillette fat handle new longcomb. Gem stainless ptfe 4th flip and a KAI 7th use. With no markings on the KAI blades I'm not sure how to track whether I'm actually flipping it or not. Arko mixed with a Dragons blood goats milk shave soap took care of the lather with my black badger.
The result was CCs. With the trouble spots on my neck that's all I look for.

20190221_102949_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Gem MMOC / Gem SS (8) / Preshave (Shower, Cold water splash) / Williams Puck Soap / Parker Boar Brush / Cold Water Rinse / Alum Bar, Witch Hazel, Proraso Sandalwood AS / CO Bigelow Elixir Black Pepper Cologne. (BBS)

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
SOTD 2-24-19
Pre: Hot cloth
Soap: Arko
Razor: Gillette ball end gold NEW Long Comb
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Haircut and Shave Co. Tuxedo Synth
Post: Aqua Velva Aftershave (Spanish Version) by Williams

DSCF0003 - Edited (1).jpg

Top Bottom