What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

I’m basically a lucky Gillette ignoramus, but a “discussion” broke out on the DE acquisition thread after I posted a bunch of photos. Final verdict seems to be that it is a legitimate Red & Black set with a NEW Deluxe head and a handle that is slightly longer with bigger diamonds than a Tuckaway. An RB Diamond Dawg. Shave and learn.

Anyway, I like to think I’m a really good enabler...

Hallelujah you got a super rare Gillette.

And no you're a lousy stinky enabler, put you, polarbear and essox together and you guys can float the economy of a small country rofl!

SOTD 3/22 - Do over (swapping blades)
SOTD 3/21 - NEW kid on the block (pics at the bottom)

My new NEW (67g) v Karve OC-D (97g)
Nacet (1) v Voskhod (2)
Zenith B5
Williams Mug uber/mentholized with Cremo Cooling

View attachment 965106

It was a smooth shave on both sides of the face. As expected the Karve seemed slightly more efficient. Both blades are solid performers. As also expected, I noodled around too much as is typical when 1) I have a new toy and 2) I am comparing razors head-to-head. So there was just a little alum feedback. Two hours later I’m still calling it BBS, with the usual caveat that I’m only shaving neck and cheeks. The NEW was offered better visibility and control on the beard and sideburn margins.

I still fail to find Cremo ASTONISHINGLY SUPERIOR (TM) but it does add some slick and cushion whipped up with W Mug.

Found this vintage Gillette in the wild. Don’t quite know how to name it - Red and Black case, Deluxeish baseplate but no serial number, Tuckawayish diamond handle. RB Tuckaluxe?

View attachment 965104
Yes, it was sold with an open Super Blue rattling around in the case!

Compared to CBH NEW SC
View attachment 965105

My new NEW (67g) v Karve OC-D (97g)
Voskhod (3) v Nacet (2)
Semogue 1250
Williams Mug uber/mentholized with Cremo Cooling

Better late than never, shaved just before bedtime. I’m calling it a dead heat between these two razors in terms of results over two days of head-to-head comparison. I do prefer lighter razors, so the New Deluxe has that in its favor. I felt that I got the best result out of the Voskhod both days, but that may be because it has an extra shave under its belt.

Gotta take a break for some slant shaving and Micromatic Monday, but I’m contemplating getting totally brassed off and running a round robin tournament with the Karve and the three NEW varieties, LC, SC, and Deluxe.

Brassed off round 1:
New SC v New Deluxe sharing a Nacet Blade, uberized RazoRock Blue Barbershop bowl lathered, 2 shaves

I spent some time visually examining my two SCs, three LCs, and the New Deluxe. I hope it didn’t predjudice me, but the SC seems to have the best blade clamping geometry of the three, similar to the Karve in terms of clamping the blade securely using directly opposing surfaces.

I read in another thread that LCs have differing blade gaps. I checked (wire feeler gauge) the clearances between cap and baseplate on my three LCs and found differences up to .020” between razors, sides of the same razor, and even along the length of one side of a razor. These are definitely not the tolerances of a brand new machined razor. I do not know how that translates into blade gaps, but I have not noticed any erratic shave qualities among my LCs. I’m just going to pick one of the LCs and use it for this round robin. I’m using a very good user grade SC, not my replated version.

The first round demonstrated few differences between the SC and Deluxe. I am more familiar with the SC, but that advantage did not translate into a superior shave or a difference in alum feedback. The big lesson for me was that neither razor would overcome a perfunctory prep on shave 1. Better prep on the second shave allowed both razors to deliver a rapid, comfortable DFS.

The SC seemed very slightly smoother overall, but I think that is entirely due to my past experience with the razor. They both did a reasonable job working at the margins of my beard and sideburns.

I’ll put the LC and the Karve OC-C into the next round.

Brassed off round 1:
New SC v New Deluxe sharing a Nacet Blade, uberized RazoRock Blue Barbershop bowl lathered, 2 shaves

I spent some time visually examining my two SCs, three LCs, and the New Deluxe. I hope it didn’t predjudice me, but the SC seems to have the best blade clamping geometry of the three, similar to the Karve in terms of clamping the blade securely using directly opposing surfaces.

I read in another thread that LCs have differing blade gaps. I checked (wire feeler gauge) the clearances between cap and baseplate on my three LCs and found differences up to .020” between razors, sides of the same razor, and even along the length of one side of a razor. These are definitely not the tolerances of a brand new machined razor. I do not know how that translates into blade gaps, but I have not noticed any erratic shave qualities among my LCs. I’m just going to pick one of the LCs and use it for this round robin. I’m using a very good user grade SC, not my replated version.

The first round demonstrated few differences between the SC and Deluxe. I am more familiar with the SC, but that advantage did not translate into a superior shave or a difference in alum feedback. The big lesson for me was that neither razor would overcome a perfunctory prep on shave 1. Better prep on the second shave allowed both razors to deliver a rapid, comfortable DFS.

The SC seemed very slightly smoother overall, but I think that is entirely due to my past experience with the razor. They both did a reasonable job working at the margins of my beard and sideburns.

I’ll put the LC and the Karve OC-C into the next round.

Hi Tanuki,

Thanks for the review but I would like to add that my first couple of shaves w the NSC or Karve were satisfactory. Fast forward to today, I am able to get fairly easy BBS with the both of them.

The winner between the Karve OC and NSC would be the NSC due to its ninbleness and just the right amount of blade feel. The Karve lost out only due to its overall weight 109g vs 46-47g, the C OC was slightly more aggressive than I would like but that's what I thought of the NSC initially too lol.

Perhaps you can do a 3 shave review for each set before deciding on the winner, just my 2¢.

Cheers,

Mawashi

Monday OC Shave:

iKon Short Comb with Bulldog handle
Polsilver SI blade
Yaqi Rainbow synthetic
De Vergulde Hand soap
AV Classic Ice Blue aftershave

proxy.php

(Sunday Shave)

Gem MMOC / Gem SS (10)
Preshave (Shower, Cold water splash)
Williams Puck Soap
Parker Boar Brush
Cold Water Rinse
Alum Bar, Witch Hazel
Proraso Sandalwood AS
CO Bigelow Elixir Black Pepper Cologne. (BBS)

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
SOTD 03-27-19
Castle Forbes Pre Shave - Unscented
Soap: Fine Fresh Vetiver shavr soap
Razor / Blade: Schone nickel open comb / Derby Extra (1)
Brush: RazoRock Disruptor Plissoft Synth

DSCF0033 - Edited (2).jpg

Today's OC Shave:

proxy.php

iKon Short Comb with Bulldog handle
Polsilver SI blade (3)
Zenith Chubby Scrubby B27
Old Spice Musk shaving cream
Old Spice Classic aftershave

Yesterdays shave. Lewis straight and Gillette ball end old type with 2nd use Blue bird. I need to work on the edge on the straight but the Gillette Blue Bird combo did an excellent job of of the rest of the shave.

20190329_124551~2.jpg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
SOTD 03-30-19
Castle Forbes Pre Shave - Unscented
Fine Fresh Vetiver shave soap
Schone gold open comb
Derby Extra (1)
Omega 10065 Pure Boar Bristle
Fine Fresh Vetiver aftershave

DSCF0005 - Edited.jpg

Last edited:
Cold water prep
MMOC/GEM SS (11)
QShave Scuttle
Parker Boar Brush
Williams Puck Soap
Cold water rinse
Alum Bar/Thayers Witch Hazel
Proraso Sandalwood AS
CO Bigelow Elixir Cologne
DFS

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
SOTD 04-02-19
Pears Transparent Soap
Arko
Gillette ball end gold NEW Long Comb
Derby Extra (1)
Semogue Excelsior 830 boar brush
Aqua Velva Aftershave (Spanish Version) by Williams

DSCF0002 - Edited (1).jpg

I would be honored to be allowed to join the hallowed Brotherhood of the Open Comb. I'll post a pic of my newest acquisition, an RFB, set #44. I'm halfway done polishing it. In addition to the RFB, I have a New De Luxe. I enjoy both razors a great deal. I have other razors, but those two are my top 2.
IMG_0746.jpg
IMG_0745.jpg

Top Bottom