What's new

Broken Edwin Jagger DE86

I put a new blade in my razor yesterday and it broke as I was screwing it back together. I am not a strong person by any means and I don't believe I mistreat my razor. I have tried to be very careful with the razor so it would last for many years. I have only had the razor for a little over two years, so I am surprised it broke. The only email address I could find on Edwin Jagger's website was [email protected].

I sent an email yesterday, but I have not heard back from them. Has anyone else had a problem with Edwin Jagger razors?

Is there a different email address I should use to contact them? I would like to know if there is any warranty on their razors.

Attachments

• $20131215_211007.jpg
    $20131215_211007.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 194
  • $20131215_211026.jpg
    $20131215_211026.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 192
  • $20131215_211047.jpg
    $20131215_211047.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 193
Dang, that sucks. I hope you get it exchanged for a new razor. That shouldn't happen even after two years.

Interesting. I have a DE89 that's started to bind lately when screwing it together. Maybe it's going down the same road to failure.

I'm losing count of how many times I'm hearing of this lately, especially with EJ. I experienced it with Merkur twice back in the late 1990's and never bought another Merkur again. Went with EJ instead. If my EJ ever breaks on me I won't bother wasting my money on another. I'll simply switch to using one of my three NOS Gillette Tech razors. Those old Gillettes don't break.

Can't understand what these modern DE razors have such thick robust metal components yet they break so often? What a shame!!

I'm losing count of how many times I'm hearing of this lately, especially with EJ. I experienced it with Merkur twice back in the late 1990's and never bought another Merkur again. Went with EJ instead. If my EJ ever breaks on me I won't bother wasting my money on another. I'll simply switch to using one of my three NOS Gillette Tech razors. Those old Gillettes don't break.

Can't understand what these modern DE razors have such thick robust metal components yet they break so often? What a shame!!

Because they're made out of pot metal, Zamac, and not brass.

Sorry to hear about your razor. EJ should take care of you, they have very good customer service. The brittleness is why I'm a big fan of vintage brass razors and new stainless models. Either of these should last a lifetime.

Try this address:
[email protected]

I sent the original email on a saturday and finally heard from someone on a wed. They took care of me. I dropped my razor. I was able to remove the post that was left in the handle and they sent me a head. If you dont get a response in a few days let me know and I'll hand over the email address of a live person as of july of 2012.

My merkur did the same thing. They replaced the cap no problem. EJ will too, I'm sure.

If you like your EJ, think about buying a Weber PH. It's an EJ that shaves even closer and smoother, is made out of stainless steel and will last a lifetime.

I put a few drops of clipper oil on the threads of all my new razors, especially Zamac ones. It seems to keep the corrosion from breaking through to the cracks and crevasses in the pot metal.

Ditto on emailing Edwin Jagger - they historically have replaced the head for free. Excellent customer service.

Too bad they're Zamak/Zamac and not brass.

I used the marketing email when my EJ showed corrosion after 2 years of very light use. They forwarded it to the right department. They asked for a couple of photos then sent me a new head, blades, and sample of their shaving cream. I couldn't be happier with their customer service and won't hesitate to buy from them again.

As already pointed out, this is a weak point of these razors. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I know it will one day.

I also want to hear how it turns out for you.

Because they're made out of pot metal, Zamac, and not brass.
I'm not convinced that it's the Zamac. That zinc alloy is perfectly strong enough to handle snug tightening. After all a great many Gillette Techs from the 1950's had some heads made from a zinc alloy.

I know for a fact that, at least with Merkur, it's the lack of quality in construction and manufacturing. Their screw studs or posts are not a permanent piece to the head. They seem to be either soldered, staked, or epoxied on rather than being milled or cast as one piece. The whole post gets pulled out of the head.

With EJ they all seem to have a similar break, but they break in the middle of the screw post. Again Zamac is tough enough to handle snugness, but it could be their casting method too that's causing defects once the post is cut-threaded. WHo know?

Last edited:
It seems to ring true that things aren't made like they used to be...unless you want to pony up some benjies for a high quality(equal to yesteryears standard quality) modern one. I bought a hundred year old Gillette for 20 bucks and it is still solid.

Top Bottom