What's new

Broken bakelite handle

Hello, I posted about this old Bakelite slant that needs repair around the threads. Well, I dropped it in the sink while cleaning just now and snapped the handle in half. Any tips on fixing this poor thing?

Attachments

• IMG_3972.jpeg
    IMG_3972.jpeg
    700.1 KB · Views: 55

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sorry to hear about the handle. Maybe a waterproof epoxy glue might hold it all together. Just a thought.

Fit a wooden dowel inside the handle and glue it up with the same epoxy that sets brush knots.
This

Similar to fishing rod repair. Fit a lightweight dowel to minimized weight difference or add a metal rod if you want more heft. 2 part epoxy, line up design, secure with tape or elastics to clamp while drying. Wipe up excess, take time sanding and polish if needed once fully cured.

If it doesn't line up properly or is jagged with missing shards, clean cut each piece (straight/square) prior to above.

Alright, thank you. Where would I get a good plastic dowel to use? Would a clear JBweld epoxy work?
Craft store. If you can't find the correct size, buy thicker diameter and sand it down to fit. Epoxy that in place too.

I'd stick with 2 part Marine grade Waterproof epoxy.

I'm not familiar with JB Weld Epoxy. You want waterproof.

Sorry to read this 😢
Contrary to the advice above, I'd say toss it and forget about it. It will never be what you wanted it to be and in the end, it's just 'stuff' a.k.a. an old broken piece of bakelite. That's my opinion. YMMV.

JB Weld. The regular black and white that you mix together. The silverware holder in my dishwasher broke about two years ago and I used JB Weld to put it back together. Still going strong. If it can hold up to that many dishwasher cycles I think it will hold your razor together just fine. The dowel is a very good idea as well.

Craft store. If you can't find the correct size, buy thicker diameter and sand it down to fit. Epoxy that in place too.

I'd stick with 2 part Marine grade Waterproof epoxy.

I'm not familiar with JB Weld Epoxy. You want waterproof.
Alright thank you. I assume that can be found at a hardware store

JB Weld. The regular black and white that you mix together. The silverware holder in my dishwasher broke about two years ago and I used JB Weld to put it back together. Still going strong. If it can hold up to that many dishwasher cycles I think it will hold your razor together just fine. The dowel is a very good idea as well.
That sounds about right. I’m personally very familiar with JB weld. I guess my only question is is there white JB weld? I’m only familiar with the gray stuff.

That sounds about right. I’m personally very familiar with JB weld. I guess my only question is is there white JB weld? I’m only familiar with the gray stuff.

Not that I'm aware of. Some have mentioned a clear version but I'm not familiar with it. I say use the gray and treat it like the Japanese ceramic repair process called kintsugi (which I learned about here), meaning, embrace the gray repair line rather than try to hide it.

Top Bottom