What's new

Breakthrough SOTD!

Today was my 13th DE shave, and my first truly excellent shave! No nicks, no weepers, no irritation, and closer to BBS than a 5-blade cartridge ever got me! And all because of one little change...

Feather blades!

I have been using Astra’s, Derby’s, and Gillette Silver Blue’s in my pre-war Tech, and getting good (but not quite great) shaves. I had read about how insanely sharp Feather blades were, and I had decided that I would wait and try them when I had more experience, but today after church I needed a shave and decided to give them a go. What a difference! Way less tugging and pulling, and the least irritation from a DE shave so far by a wide margin!

Canadian Tech (pre-war)
Omega Boar brush
Nivea Sensitive Skin Cream & ASB
Feather blade

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s great, and may be the nudge I’ve needed!

I’ve had a tuck of Feather blades just sitting around waiting for me to try. My main shavers are a Pre-War Tech and a Ball End Tech, and go to blades GSB. I may find the courage to give them a go this week as well :)

That’s great, and may be the nudge I’ve needed!

I’ve had a tuck of Feather blades just sitting around waiting for me to try. My main shavers are a Pre-War Tech and a Ball End Tech, and go to blades GSB. I may find the courage to give them a go this week as well :)

I say go for it! Take it slow, watch your technique, and you’ll be fine! The blade felt sharp, but it never felt like I was taking my life in my hands...

I say go for it! Take it slow, watch your technique, and you’ll be fine! The blade felt sharp, but it never felt like I was taking my life in my hands...

Broke out the Feather this weekend. Two shaves Sat and Sun very careful resulted in good shaves but not excellent.

Today’s shave (Monday), however was outstanding. Felt more comfortable with the blade in my Ball End Tech and had a great 3 pass shave, WTG/XTG/XTG with touch ups. Used Stirling Ozark Mountain soap and finished it off with some Skin Bracer AS.

Looking forward to see how my future shaves go with these blades. If they continue to be anywhere near today’s shave I may have found my go to blade in this razor.

Bravo & congratulations ! That's an excellent setup of hardware and software to work with !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Broke out the Feather this weekend. Two shaves Sat and Sun very careful resulted in good shaves but not excellent.

Today’s shave (Monday), however was outstanding. Felt more comfortable with the blade in my Ball End Tech and had a great 3 pass shave, WTG/XTG/XTG with touch ups. Used Stirling Ozark Mountain soap and finished it off with some Skin Bracer AS.

Looking forward to see how my future shaves go with these blades. If they continue to be anywhere near today’s shave I may have found my go to blade in this razor.

Good to hear! It’s funny, my first shave with the feather was fantastic, but the 2nd and 3rd were not so amazing... as they say, YMMV!

So glad to hear that it’s working out for you!

welcome to the brotherhood, where's the Proraso? ..........glad to hear you have a new found and improved way to shave, it makes a huge difference!

get the old three piece kit in the collector tin, it's the way to go, and it's the best way to a nice supply for such a cheap price. My first kit was the White kit, and it really helped with my technique and how to get the proper shave.

get the old three piece kit in the collector tin, it's the way to go, and it's the best way to a nice supply for such a cheap price. My first kit was the White kit, and it really helped with my technique and how to get the proper shave.
Unfortunately my wife already ordered the white soap and preshave cream... I will keep the sets in mind for the future!

By the way, how does the white soap smell?

Canadian Tech (pre-war)
Omega Boar brush
Nivea Sensitive Skin Cream & ASB
Feather blade
That looks like an excellent combo to start out with. Inexpensive but effective. Did you get advice in making that selection?
My second DE razor was a Canadian Pre-War Fat-Handle Tech too. I love the light weight of it.
I prefer Astra SP blades but if Feathers work better for you, then hey, fill yer boots!

It’s funny you should ask... the Proraso is on my Christmas list!
Then try this: Mix the Proraso with the Nivea cream, in a ratio of maybe 1/2 or 1/3, (more Proraso than Nivea) for a Superlather.
proxy.php

My personal preference is Proraso Red all by itself, but I find I have to "fix" the Proraso Green or Proraso White by adding a cream due to their lack of slickness. (Apparently I'm in the minority, holding that opinion.) Nivea or Cremo is great for this purpose.

That looks like an excellent combo to start out with. Inexpensive but effective. Did you get advice in making that selection?
My second DE razor was a Canadian Pre-War Fat-Handle Tech too. I love the light weight of it.
I prefer Astra SP blades but if Feathers work better for you, then hey, fill yer boots!

Then try this: Mix the Proraso with the Nivea cream, in a ratio of maybe 1/2 or 1/3, (more Proraso than Nivea) for a Superlather.
proxy.php

My personal preference is Proraso Red all by itself, but I find I have to "fix" the Proraso Green or Proraso White by adding a cream due to their lack of slickness. (Apparently I'm in the minority, holding that opinion.) Nivea or Cremo is great for this purpose.
The Tech was my great Grandfathers, so it has special significance to me. The Nivea cream & balm, and the Omega brush were all chosen based on B&B reviews and YouTube video. As for the Feather, it was just the next blade in my sampler pack!

As for the superlather, I will certainly keep that in mind when I get my Proraso!

Thanks

Top Bottom