What's new

Breakfast, in America (and elsewhere)

I am shocked and amazed that noone has yet mentioned my favorite breakfast - Eggs Benedict.

I'm sure everyone knows what it is but for those who don't:

Split and toasted english muffin onto which rests:
Ham
Poached Egg - must not be fully cooked.
Hollandaise sauce

Now that's just the starting point. Many combinations exist, for example Eggs Jennifer trades the ham
for spinach and tomoto, which is good. I like all three on mine, but if i can get it what I really like is to have spinach and tomato with cured salmon in leiu of ham. Heaven! Best when paired with a
Mimosa. Or two.

While I was in Russia, I had an interesting breakfast at the place I called "Death Camp." This is the Moscow State University campus cafeteria. Where you get food that is completely cold, warm and under cooked. So it was always a mystery if you food was going to be warm and cooked or cold and undercooked.

They had this potato fried in like square shaped pattern to like really thick sized fries cut in half. Then they had this "Mystery" meat ball as well. It was like a football shaped pattern but flat one side where it sits in the pan. Add some ketchup, salt, and pepper...it wasn't to bad. Pretty greasy so you usually had to head to here:

proxy.php

Before going to class.

Then take a shot of something like this just for good measure:
proxy.php

A shot of Vodka a day will keep the Doctor away. :)

Last edited:
I'm also shocked that no one has mentioned the breakfast of kings. Two eggs over easy, a ghastly quantitiy of tabasco sauce and some corned beef hash.

Breakfast in the states can be very regional as well.

On trips back to NJ at least two breakfasts are required. One is a proper bacon egg and cheese from my favorite deli. The other is a proper diner breakfast involving big beautiful proper breakfast sausage, not the crap they have down here and call sausage, and actual home fries.

I do love the sausages that I get in New Jersey! They're kind of like short brats and not spicy, just good! Can't find them away from the east coast. I'm going to be out there next month and I think I'll bring some back with me.

Home fries are only done right is they are cooked sliced potatoes that are fried in lard. You can't find that anywhere. I used to serve something close to it for a brunch buffet in the restaurant by using baked potatoes that were roughly chopped and fried on the grill with onions and margarine. Usually went through a couple hundred pounds of them.

I've had breakfasts all over Europe. In many places it was the typical Continental breakfast, but a lot of restaurants served times more typical to American tastes. And they were not places for the tourists, they were often the small shops that they locals ate at.

I have to love full breakfasts, too bad I don't get the time to make them as often as I'd like. Work day breakfasts are either fast (toast w/ honey, coffee and cold granola in soy milk [damn lactose intolerance]) or quick (bacon cooked on medium in a cast iron pan while shaving and microwave poached eggs). I'd rather a good shave then a long meal.

Weekends are completely different; fresh coffee, sausages, beans, eggs, and hash cooked on the BBQ.

I normally just have 2 coffees and a cigarette, and no I don't buy junkfood for lunch either, I normally don't have lunch as well.
Occasionally I'm a baked beans on toast guy on the weekends or after a rough night when I get to sleep in, but that's more of a brunch thing to replace lunch.
I hate waking up, I'm not a morning person so I always sleep in too late.

Top Bottom