What's new

Breakfast, in America (and elsewhere)

A perfect breakfast, to me, is fried eggs over easy, hickory smoked bacon, biscuits, grits, butter, and a Southern delight called sorghum syrup. With hot coffee, of course.

I always liked the album, too. :wink:

Tim

If I ate breakfast like that in the morning, I would turn right around and march straight back to bed afterwards. A full English Breakfast consists of more food in one sitting than I consume in an entire day. :eek:

When I was in Japan, years ago, the "Western Breakfast" served in the hotel always had a green tossed salad. I don't know where they got the idea westerners eat salads at breakfast time. The plus side is at McDonalds the Filet-o-fish was available at breakfast, and the EggMcMuffin was available all day.

G

gone down south

A regular American breakfast is the only thing I miss when travelling - I'm an adventurous eater and can plow through obscure corners of any cuisine all day, but I need my brunch!

A perfect breakfast, to me, is fried eggs over easy, hickory smoked bacon, biscuits, grits, butter, and a Southern delight called sorghum syrup. With hot coffee, of course.

I always liked the album, too. :wink:

Tim

Yes sir, that sounds good! With big ole' cat-head biscuits!

Breakfast in the states can be very regional as well.

On trips back to NJ at least two breakfasts are required. One is a proper bacon egg and cheese from my favorite deli. The other is a proper diner breakfast involving big beautiful proper breakfast sausage, not the crap they have down here and call sausage, and actual home fries.

On the other end though, up North I can not find grits or biscuits and gravy.

All depends where you are, and some places do certain things better then others.

Of course any discussion of breakfast in the South Pacific would be lacking if Spam was not mentioned prominently. From Hawaii westward this has been choice eats every since GIs introduced it to the indigenous folks back in WWII. My wife (a filipina) often makes rice eggs and spam for breakfast. Toss in a couple cups of Cuban coffee and you're good to go for the day.

The last time I was in Guam, McDonalds actually offered Spam, Rice and Eggs for breakfast.

Of course there's the southern contributions, grits (which by the way are often combined with smoked mullet), biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, etc.

Of course any discussion of breakfast in the South Pacific would be lacking if Spam was not mentioned prominently. From Hawaii westward this has been choice eats every since GIs introduced it to the indigenous folks back in WWII. My wife (a filipina) often makes rice eggs and spam for breakfast. Toss in a couple cups of Cuban coffee and you're good to go for the day.

The last time I was in Guam, McDonalds actually offered Spam, Rice and Eggs for breakfast.

Of course there's the southern contributions, grits (which by the way are often combined with smoked mullet), biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, etc.

Funny you mention this. I work with a guy who's dad served in the Pacific theatre in WW2. They ate Spam EVERY DAY for quite awhile. He came to loathe it. Fast forward 50 years and one day my friend told me his mother picked up a can of Spam because the grandkids wanted to try it. His dad immediately smelled the cooking Spam and told them he hadn't tried it since he mustered out of the service. Sooo...he dared a taste. "Yep, he said. It tastes like Spam." And promptly spit it out and made something else to eat.

Regards, Todd

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

1OldGI, my wife is also pinay. Always have a can or two in the cupboard. Not having it on hand would be like running out of rice, or soysauce.

There is nothing like a good english breakfast, especially if you had 1 too many the night before:smile: i remember eating curry and fish for breakfast in jamacia a few years ago, which was kind of odd but the locals raved about it.

Not to threadjack but...

(Incidentally, this album also has one of the best covers in the history of rock..)

proxy.php

:confused:

Seriously?

Whew! I thought this was going be an album review. I can't stand Supertramp. :mad3: No way, no how.

I love a full, hearty breakfast. I had one for dinner last night, in fact (more than I should have had, probably). :001_smile

(And I haven't had good lox/bagel/cream cheese since my best friend from college got married in Queens, NY in 1983.)

Last edited:
I love a full, hearty breakfast too but not everyday. Weekends, usually one day or the other rarely both, I reserve for a hearty breakfast. Weekdays it's oatmeal and coffee.

When I was in Scotland, I was sure to get as much as of the "full Scottish breakfast" experience as possible. While, I don't get the baked beans fixation, I can wholeheartedly support black pudding (especially Stornoway black pudding).

Last edited:
Most mornings I have Cereal w/milk and a yogurt, No Coffee.

Yesterday morning I introduced my GF to my version of the "Irish Breakfast"

1 egg over medium (runny yolk, no runny white)
1 Banger
1 Rasher
1 1" thick slice of Blood Pudding (Black Pudding)
1 1" thick slice of White Pudding
~5oz Tomato Baked Beans
Half a tomatto fried on cut side flipped over and Dubliner cheddar cheese melted on top
a piece of dark soda bread toast

Served with a pint of guinness for me, coffee and baileys for her.

I love a full, hearty breakfast too but not everyday. Weekends, usually one day or the other rarely both, I reserve for a hearty breakfast. Weekdays it's oatmeal and coffee.

I agree. I think that oatmeal is like a warning order. It tells you to remain steadfast and you will eventually be rewarded with a groaning plate of eggs and friend meat.

2 cups of Cuban coffee and a big bowl of oatmeal usually results in me gathering up a magazine and heading for the comfort room shortly after arrival at work. If my timing is off by just a little, I find myself crawling in traffic with a horrendous case of the bubble guts. This is indeed the culinary equivalent of about a gallon of Metamucil.

I forgot to mention I usually have Scotch oatmeal(steel cut on this side of the water)several times a week. Just water and oats with a pinch of salt. No sugar, no cream, no butter. It is hell not adding the condiments like that but I am trying to eat better. Trying that is.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom