What's new

Braun Series 9 Pro Charging/Cleaning

I just transitioned from wet shaving with a Gillette Fusion 5 to electric shaving with a Braun Series 9 Pro. I love the Braun shaver, it gets me nearly as close a shave as the Gillette while saving time and shaving gel (I use it dry with "Lectric" Pre-shave oil). So far I have been brushing out the stubble from the plastic base where the cassette sits and tapping the cassette gently on the counter to get stubble from there and then putting the Braun on the cleaning station for cleaning and charging after each use. The cleaning is doing a great job of bringing the razor back to "as new" condition, but I have a few questions. Doing it this way (I thought I read somewhere Braun recommends cleaning after each use), it keeps charging the shaver back to full each time. Is this bad for the shaver and battery? I don't mind having to replace the cleaning cartridge sooner if I use it daily, but is this recommended or OK to clean it this way each time? Overall, I can't believe I waited this long to switch to an electric! So much more convenient and cuts my shave time in half to about 10 mins, previously with wet shaving about 20 minutes.

You're doing it right! There's an "overhead" buffer in the battery, so charging it to "full" is optimal (because it doesn’t really ever charge to 100%). The life expectancy of modern Li-Ion batteries is around 3,000 - 5,000 charging cycles but can go well beyond that, and even then it can hold up to 70% of its original charge. The main consideration with a lithium-ion battery is to never let it drain to 0%, because it may not be recoverable. Most manufacturers prevent this by registering zero on the indicator when there is in fact a considerable reserve left. You can get to zero however by leaving the device unused for weeks or months because of parasitic drain, so if you leave your razor unused for some time for whatever reason, it's a good idea to periodically charge it up (I've left razors for 6 months or so with about an 80% power loss indicated, so I'd say a year at the outside). There is no way to effectively clean the enclosed cassette of the Braun manually, so the cleaning station is essential of you want a clean razor, and the Braun solution is also reasonably effective at sanitizing the razor. You can clean the head by running it under hot water with a little liquid soap (which I do when traveling), but it's not as effective as using the cleaning station. And some shavers just knock out the stubble after shaving and press on without ever cleaning. You might never have a problem with that, but as a medical professional I'll go on record and say that's a bad idea and just leave it at that.

Electrics are indeed a new world, and not your grandfather's electric (which I suspect the most vocal detractors are still using). You can get a shave almost as good as a blade, in less time and more comfortably (for most shavers - and as in all things, it depends) . But not as close as a blade, everything being equal - I use one daily, either to finish up a blade shave (usually), or as a stand-alone (when rushed for time), and I use it wet with all the software I use for a DE shave. It still saves time, and it gives me the closest shave I can get with an electric. The Series 9 Pro is probably one of the best foil electrics out there, and one of the most comfortable, so you've got a good start!

You're doing it right! There's an "overhead" buffer in the battery, so charging it to "full" is optimal (because it doesn’t really ever charge to 100%). The life expectancy of modern Li-Ion batteries is around 3,000 - 5,000 charging cycles but can go well beyond that, and even then it can hold up to 70% of its original charge. The main consideration with a lithium-ion battery is to never let it drain to 0%, because it may not be recoverable. Most manufacturers prevent this by registering zero on the indicator when there is in fact a considerable reserve left. You can get to zero however by leaving the device unused for weeks or months because of parasitic drain, so if you leave your razor unused for some time for whatever reason, it's a good idea to periodically charge it up (I've left razors for 6 months or so with about an 80% power loss indicated, so I'd say a year at the outside). There is no way to effectively clean the enclosed cassette of the Braun manually, so the cleaning station is essential of you want a clean razor, and the Braun solution is also reasonably effective at sanitizing the razor. You can clean the head by running it under hot water with a little liquid soap (which I do when traveling), but it's not as effective as using the cleaning station. And some shavers just knock out the stubble after shaving and press on without ever cleaning. You might never have a problem with that, but as a medical professional I'll go on record and say that's a bad idea and just leave it at that.

Electrics are indeed a new world, and not your grandfather's electric (which I suspect the most vocal detractors are still using). You can get a shave almost as good as a blade, in less time and more comfortably (for most shavers - and as in all things, it depends) . But not as close as a blade, everything being equal - I use one daily, either to finish up a blade shave (usually), or as a stand-alone (when rushed for time), and I use it wet with all the software I use for a DE shave. It still saves time, and it gives me the closest shave I can get with an electric. The Series 9 Pro is probably one of the best foil electrics out there, and one of the most comfortable, so you've got a good start!
Thank you Scaramouche! That was very helpful. That makes me feel better that I'm doing things right. The YouTubers out there give varying advice on the cleaning, with many not using the cleaning station much at all and they don't discuss the charging much. I agree that the cleaning station is a better way of doing things. The Braun smells fresh and looks rejuvenated afterwards and the automated process seems very high tech. I'm also a medical professional BTW :cool:. I never even considered an electric till recently because I had a terrible time with a rotary Norelco many years ago when I tried one. I was reading about the Braun shavers and wanted to get more "chill" with my shaving and decided to give it a go and glad I did.

I appreciate the above posts. I started out using an electric shaver but was never able to get a decent shave and had a lot of irritation and red skin. At one time, I used a wet/dry shave followed by touching up with a cart razor. Switched to safety razors several years ago and love it ... but, it does take a lot of time. I always remember Brauns being the top of the line electric razors. So, after seeing Kensurfs get a good shave with one, I ordered one. It is costly but I have safety razors that cost just as much. Will see how this works for me. Thinking I can use the Braun during the week and safety razors on weekends or my time off. I'm a daily shaver just because I like that clean shave feeling going to work every morning.

Charger has a green light which is continually on, even after the 1o hour charge time. The light on the BT3221 stays on consistently when connected to the portable power station, so doesn't go out after the charge is finished.
On the Series 9 Pro, all the lights should go off when completely charged. And it only takes about an hour to charge it. Correct on the BT3221 - the light stays on when charging is complete, by design, and it does have about a 10 hour charge time. Are you saying you have it connected to a solar generator (which I assume continually generates power)? When it's plugged into an active power source the lights stay on (the BT3221).

Top Bottom