What's new

Brass bead front sights?

962698.jpg

The fiber optic sights are hard for me to see inside, and a bright blob outside.

I have a brass bead front on a rifle, not a fan. again, hard for me to see.

For a "combat" type sight I am partial to the lollipop style. Not a great target sight, but fantastic for quick point-n-shoot.

Last edited:
https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server...U_Notch_3__86053.1379260948.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
proxy.php

This is the set up I'm contemplating for my Glock 19. The link above the pic of the front sight is for the U-notch rear sight that is used with it.

Okay, this is different than what I had envisioned. This, to me, is still a regular sight but with a brass bead and I'd venture a guess that you'd still be running dovetail rear? I can see where this is beneficial. Though, not too much different than running a Tritium or other high-vis front sight such as others had mentioned.

For some reason, I was thinking along the lines of what is traditionally on a shotgun: vertically mounted bead with no rear sight.

proxy.php

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
View attachment 994427
The fiber optic sights are hard for me to see inside, and a bright blob outside.

I have a brass bead front on a rifle, not a fan. again, hard for me to see.

For a "combat" type sight I am partial to the lollipop style. Not a great target sight, but fantastic for quick point-n-shoot.

That is exactly what I have now, the XS 24/7 Big Dot front and Express rear and have used it for years. Yes it works, but as you said, not a great target sight. James Yeager can hit steel at 100 yds. with those sights on his Glock 19, but I'm not quite that gifted.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Took my Glock 19 with the XS 24/7 Big Dot front with the Express rear sight to the range today, along with my SIG P365 and Kahr PM9. The later two pistols have conventional sights and despite being smaller guns, they both shot better for me accuracy wise than the larger Glock. I'm past due for an eye exam and my eyesight has definitely changed. The Big Dot front sight was just an indistinct blob and with little lateral or vertical reference with the Express rear sight, accuracy left a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don’t like wearing eyeglasses so I went to get fitted for contacts a few years ago. The young female assistant in the optometrists office tried very patiently for about 45 minutes to help me get those little things into and out of my eyeballs.

She finally lost her patience with me, at no fault of her own and told me to just give up and pick out some frames for eyeglass lenses. Bless her heart. I’m just a big ole baby when it comes to stickin’ things in my eyeballs.

The ability to see clearly Is only getting worse as I get older and I don’t have alot of confidence for the lasik process. I think the single plane of view and focus a red dot sight on a pistol provides is fast going to become a eventual reality for me just out of necessity.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yes, as the size of RDS's come down, they have become more practical for EDC on defensive handguns. If only the prices for quality RDS would come down as well! My next Glock will probably be another 19 with the MOS feature. The only downside is, if you have an astigmatism, which I do, then the red dot gets a bit fuzzy (fuzzier?).

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Yes, as the size of RDS's come down, they have become more practical for EDC on defensive handguns. If only the prices for quality RDS would come down as well! My next Glock will probably be another 19 with the MOS feature. The only downside is, if you have an astigmatism, which I do, then the red dot gets a bit fuzzy (fuzzier?).

Astigmatism? I think I have two. The Eye Doc basically told me, that both of my eyes are shaped like eggs. One eye, the large end of the egg is facing out and the other eye the small end of the egg is facing out.

He told me all these years I have been shooting, my brain has been compensating using either one eye for distance and the other eye for up close and reading. So basically, now that I’m getting older, the eye that was sharp for up close isn’t sharp anymore and the eye I used for distance isn’t sharp anymore.

I’m kinda screwed up here, because I’m too big of a sissy baby to wear contacts and too chicken to get lasik. And I won’t wear glasses, because when I get used to them and take them off, everything gets blurry.

But, everything is starting to get blurry without them. I take pride in my shooting but can tell that while my intermediate distance shooting )15 yards) is fine, my groups at distance (Targets blurry). And close up (sights blurry). Are really beginning to suffer.

And I don’t know when my stubbornness to make a decision on it will stop. That gets worse as I get older also. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I tried contacts briefly, but my eyes need more protection from various noxious elements. As a young man I did a lot of cycling. I also worked in a lab at the Dept. of Agriculture where there was a concern of disposable contacts absorbing various chemicals over time. As a nurse, there is always the danger of getting something disgusting splattered in your eyes. So I have generally found glasses to be preferable to contacts. They make me look smarter than I actually am, kinda like smoking a pipe. But I refuse to get tri-focals and I don't tip my head back to use the reader portion of my bifocals to see my sights. I will probably remain a mediocre 25 and 50 yd. pistol shooter, at least from an accurate target/ small group perspective. Which is a shame, because at one time I could chew the center out of a B-27 target with my S&W 686.

My bro1ning hi power, went to nighthawk custom and had the works done to it. It now sports a heinie sight set, with a gold bead front sight. The gold shines in some pretty low light

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My bro1ning hi power, went to nighthawk custom and had the works done to it. It now sports a heinie sight set, with a gold bead front sight. The gold shines in some pretty low light

I'd love to see a picture of that.

The tritium sights I had installed on my Kahr CW9 have white outlines that help in the daylight. They have lasted longer than advertised and are still going strong. I really like them. They were over 100 back when I bought them.

I think the single plane of view and focus a red dot sight on a pistol provides is fast going to become a eventual reality for me just out of necessity.

I picked up a 19MOS recently because I suspect I’ll be in the same boat. Researched some and asked about RMRs. I’m informed the Trijicon greens aren’t bad at all, and that the... 13 and 9 MOA aren’t too big to look through. Everyone using them agrees though, that presentation and sight pick up is a complete retrain.

Also, https://www.experticity.com has membership for military and first responders. They offer discounts, sometimes pretty deep ones with participating vendors. Trijicon is on there. It might be worth looking at for those who think they qualify. It started as a retail sales training/discount site. You May have to do some classes with a vendor to get the discounts they offer.

OkieStubble

I picked up a 19MOS recently because I suspect I’ll be in the same boat. Researched some and asked about RMRs. I’m informed the Trijicon greens aren’t bad at all, and that the... 13 and 9 MOA aren’t too big to look through. Everyone using them agrees though, that presentation and sight pick up is a complete retrain.

Also, https://www.experticity.com has membership for military and first responders. They offer discounts, sometimes pretty deep ones with participating vendors. Trijicon is on there. It might be worth looking at for those who think they qualify. It started as a retail sales training/discount site. You May have to do some classes with a vendor to get the discounts they offer.

You are Da Man! Thanks for the link!

I don’t like wearing eyeglasses so I went to get fitted for contacts a few years ago. The young female assistant in the optometrists office tried very patiently for about 45 minutes to help me get those little things into and out of my eyeballs.

She finally lost her patience with me, at no fault of her own and told me to just give up and pick out some frames for eyeglass lenses. Bless her heart. I’m just a big ole baby when it comes to stickin’ things in my eyeballs.

The ability to see clearly Is only getting worse as I get older and I don’t have alot of confidence for the lasik process. I think the single plane of view and focus a red dot sight on a pistol provides is fast going to become a eventual reality for me just out of necessity.
Yes. I think for me too.

Top Bottom