What's new

Polishing Ti

Very interesting thread. I wasn't expecting to come across a thread like this, as I clicked on one of the "similar threads" links since it sounded interesting. So if I have hard water (I normally take the razor blade out after each shave and let the razor itself air dry), would you guys say to stay away from Titanium razors? The water's pretty hard here, so I'm not sure whether or not to waste the money on one if it's going to start getting all those water spots/stains on it.

Very interesting thread. I wasn't expecting to come across a thread like this, as I clicked on one of the "similar threads" links since it sounded interesting. So if I have hard water (I normally take the razor blade out after each shave and let the razor itself air dry), would you guys say to stay away from Titanium razors? The water's pretty hard here, so I'm not sure whether or not to waste the money on one if it's going to start getting all those water spots/stains on it.
My water is really hard - I have no issue with Ti razors. Have used them for years.

My water is really hard - I have no issue with Ti razors. Have used them for years.
Good to know, thank you. What is your routine after each shave? Do you take the blade out and dry the razor, or just let it air dry?

I usually take the blade out after each shave and let it air dry.

Good to know, thank you. What is your routine after each shave? Do you take the blade out and dry the razor, or just let it air dry?

I usually take the blade out after each shave and let it air dry.
80% of the time I do and it’s probably ocerkill. There is a quarry 1.5 miles from my home (quite a large one) and I’ve done extensive testing on my water as I have owned pretty high end coffee machines for the last 12 years.

My routine is simple. I rinse the razor out with warm water. Wipe it dry with a soft towel. No issues.

Sometimes (if I have a mild break out I actually rinse and dip in 70% alcohol. This is rare.

I change blades every 2 shaves. Here I use just Dawn dish soap, wash and rinse. Let it dry mostly disassembled and then reassemble it the next day for storage and rotate in a new razor.

Now I’m not kidding - I have owned more than 40 Ti razors and currently own 7-10, I would have to count them. They have had a lot of uses and no issues.

Once every 3-4 months or so, I will take out scrubbing bubbles for a deep clean and disinfect or if I’m selling the razor, just make sure it’s not the one with bleach.

So in general - no issues at all with any Ti razors.

Hi Dtownvino,

Really nice information. Should help a lot of people out, not only myself. Thanks.

My routine is simple. I rinse the razor out with warm water. Wipe it dry with a soft towel. No issues.

I'm going to buy some microfibre cloths and use them for this purpose only. I'll start drying out all new razors I buy from now on to see if that helps make a difference with the hard water.

I change blades every 2 shaves. Here I use just Dawn dish soap, wash and rinse. Let it dry mostly disassembled and then reassemble it the next day for storage and rotate in a new razor.

I usually use the same blade for anywhere between 3-6 shaves, but I always take it out after each shave. I also wash mine with a bit of liquid dish soap after each shave before disassembling it.

I'll also have to practice leaving it disassembled even after drying as this is something I am not doing.

I am still not sure what method to use to clean the stuck on soap residue from razors I've had for more than a few months. I figure a soft bristle tooth brush, but not sure what cleaning solution to use.

Sometimes (if I have a mild break out I actually rinse and dip in 70% alcohol. This is rare.

When buying second-hand, do you normally do anything like this? I've got a 70% isopropyl alcohol solution mixed with 30% water that I use to disinfect stuff the previous couple of years, but currently I never really do anything apart using some dishwashing soap when buying a second hand razor.

Now I’m not kidding - I have owned more than 40 Ti razors and currently own 7-10, I would have to count them. They have had a lot of uses and no issues.

Well, doesn't sound like there is much to worry about if having a good routine with the razor.

Once every 3-4 months or so, I will take out scrubbing bubbles for a deep clean and disinfect or if I’m selling the razor, just make sure it’s not the one with bleach.

What is this product? I'm wondering if there is an equivalent to it in AU. From the quick google search I did, seems to have come up with toilet cleaning products, so I am not sure if it's the same product you're referring to?

So in general - no issues at all with any Ti razors.

Sounds great. I am guessing your good routine plays a part in them staying that way.

I usually use the same blade for anywhere between 3-6 shaves, but I always take it out after each shave. I also wash mine with a bit of liquid dish soap after each shave before disassembling it.

I'll also have to practice leaving it disassembled even after drying as this is something I am not doing.

I am still not sure what method to use to clean the stuck on soap residue from razors I've had for more than a few months. I figure a soft bristle tooth brush, but not sure what cleaning solution to use.
I have been using Titanium razors for a few years now and have never had any problems with my hard water but my routine before the 1st of the year was turn the handle to open the top cap slightly to rinse the razor after the shave then disassembled the razor and wiped bot the razor and the blade down with a towel then reassembled the razor for the next days shave. usually once a month I will give my razor an ultrasonic bath to make sure I have gotten all soap and residue in any nooks and cranies I may have missed...

Since the start of the year I still rinse, disassemble wipe down everything but replace the blade and reassemble as I have went to a 1 and done shave with a blade now as part of my 2024 shave resolution this year. Next to soap, blades are the next cheapest item we use in shaving and I rarely get the exact same shave from the 1st use of a blade I decided I want that great shave every shave out and the blade was the biggest part of that. Blades are cheap and I'm still saving a ton of money compared to when I used carts 6-7yrs ago so I'm happy to do it. I will say my shaves this year have been excellent 2.5 pass BBS every shave out!!

I have been using Titanium razors for a few years now and have never had any problems with my hard water but my routine before the 1st of the year was turn the handle to open the top cap slightly to rinse the razor after the shave then disassembled the razor and wiped bot the razor and the blade down with a towel then reassembled the razor for the next days shave. usually once a month I will give my razor an ultrasonic bath to make sure I have gotten all soap and residue in any nooks and cranies I may have missed...

Do you have an example of one of those Ultra Sonic bath devices? I might have to look into buying one. Sounds like a good thing to have.

Nice routine you have. I especially like where you've said you're going to try changing to a new blade for each shave. That reminds of story I heard about Michael Jordan where he used to wear a brand new pair of shoes each game as he liked the feeling of a new pair of shoes, so he didn't reuse the same pair. Not sure if that was true or not, but I guess he could afford it ;).

Do you have an example of one of those Ultra Sonic bath devices? I might have to look into buying one. Sounds like a good thing to have.

Nice routine you have. I especially like where you've said you're going to try changing to a new blade for each shave. That reminds of story I heard about Michael Jordan where he used to wear a brand new pair of shoes each game as he liked the feeling of a new pair of shoes, so he didn't reuse the same pair. Not sure if that was true or not, but I guess he could afford it ;).
This is the one I have. Been using it for 4-5yrs now and still going strong.

1706622490736.png

Top Bottom